Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 23:30   #1

Full Time Cruising ?'s

Hi all,
My name is Frank and I am new to the forum. After many, many hours of reading, either I am not able to seek the answers to my questions or my eyes just cant keep up
I will say, that I think I have found a GREAT forum full of info and from what I can detect a GREAT group of people. So, I thank you for that. This is just what I need in my life.
I, like many of you here have been forever trying to quench the call to the sea. I have own power boats in the past but never any sailboats. Although the latter have always caught my eye and all I know is I WANT the life.
I won't bother or bore you with the details leading up to my decision to commit to this fulltime life of cruising that I am choosing, but I will say this. I am going to be disappointing a few lives as I leave. I am walking away from everything and just calling it quits. I am 55 (well in 20 days) and I have just had enough. I want to be happy and enjoy the years I have left in me (I hope a lot). After all, isn't life too short not to be happy? I have never had much in the way of finances and have been out and working on my own since the age of 13. I lost everything I had in 401k a few years back and was unemployed for about a year. What I did have carried us for the year until I found work. Soooooo, I am currently seeking out that just right S/V (within reason) and plan on learning as I go. I plan on staying in the Caribbean for the most part, but the future could see me elsewhere.
Some questions I have are;
1) What do you do for $$ when you run out?
2) How about medical attention with no insurance
3) Do I need a passport?
4) Can I carry a firearm, or would a spear gun be better?
5) Can one really live CHEAP if anchoring out and staying away from marinas.
Any help or insight would be much appreciated and I have no doubt I will have more to ask. Again, thanks in advance to a great community.
Frank
Life of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 23:49   #2

Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

You may want to do some sailing/crewing before you cut and run.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 00:29   #3

Boat: P30

short answer:
1) haven't figured this out...
2) ditto...ACA has you covered!
3) yes of course
4) no comment
5) HA! everything breaks! $$

Longer Answer:
18 years coastal sailing, some offshore, looking to go further.
I'm your age and i also want to call it quits..
but i keep stopping myself, trying to save some money, buy a bigger boat...etc.
i'm getting closer!

the reality factor kicks in.

things break and it costs money to repair.
It costs money to winter
paint the bottom etc.

i've spent time sailing with lots of money and little
sailing doesn't give a damn whether you are rich or broke

sailing is ...well....sailing
the wind blows and away you go
It hardly costs money to sail.
it's not hard to get by on little.
and you can always seem to make due.

It is when things go wrong that is troubling.
Insurance? check
Tow Boat US? check.

so you are on your boat having a blissful cruise up the coast.....the headstay breaks....the engine fails, and the jib has a tear.
and you head in to make repairs.
a swage fitting, a piece of stainless cable, spark plugs, and a needle and thread.
not exactly rocket science. Right?

where i am from (northeast coast US) coming to shore is a hostage taking situation.
you come to shore and the dollar signs start banging around the cabin like the national debt rising under... (name your administration here).

Be prepared to do your own work.
Be prepared to drop some boat bucks.
and watch the movie "Water World" LOL
Old 10-12-2013, 00:48   #4
cruiser

3) Do I need a passport?

Answers
1) Work for more money or mooch (should be obvious to most)
2) Pay cash for medical needs or mooch off others
3) Yes
4) Yes, if you follow the laws
5) Yes, but plan on doing your own repairs which can be costly
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 00:53   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Frank -- there is good news but a lot of bad news - and i am only going to respond to your questions

first - as for money - i read it to the Admiral and she had 2 suggestions - the first was to rob a bank (problems if you get caught) and the second was ask Obama for it (food stamps don't work real good out of the usa nor do free phones-the admiral does not like the current prez) - but to get real - if you like to eat and i do not mean eating out i mean buying food you need some type of income - we know of one couple who left the USA behind parked their boat in the Caribbean and got jobs as bartenders - no money=no entry into countries or food or fuel or water or fixing your boat when it breaks and it will break
we left at 62 y/o and live on social security and live fairly well

second - we do not have health insurance -- we pay as we go and the docs in most of the countries in the carib are good and inexpensive - the farther north you go the higher the prices

third - you really need to do a lot of reseach -- of course you do -

fourth - i have not idea what this is about - maybe personal safety and this forum is full of stuff on guns and i will not start any of that here - we would not have a gun on board but carry a spear gun to shoot fish and lobsters with and that is all - most of the caribbean is safer than the usa

fifth - in the carib we anchored most of the time - except for hurricane last year when the admiral did not want to and we took a marina for 6 months in trinidad - but most places you can anchor and we found the western caribbean cheaper than the eastern caribbean and almost no marinas to stay in even if you wanted to --

spend some more time in the forum on the cost of cruising and the other questions you asked and most of them are here someplace --
good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:15   #6

I would like to thank you all for your replies.
As I read through them, it became obvious to me that I already really new the answers to my questions, for the most part.
1) I had actually thought of finding odd jobs here and there as necessary. (robbing a bank is to risky but tempting )
2) Hopefully I wont need any medical attention (yea right)
3) Need to get on this asap
4) Well, No comment needed here
5) I can do most all repairs myself. I have on my power boats and plan to in the future. I definitely understand, things break and sh** happens
I think as long as when needed I can find this or that to do work wise I would be ok until I can collect ss. That is, if there is any left by the time I come of age. We all know how things go around here. Especially with the current administration in office
Life of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I notice that your questions 1,2 & 5 are money related. I would agree that liveaboard/cruising can be less expensive than many options ashore, but it doesn't free you from need; however, it does remove you from social support that you might find remaining with the house and family. I think that most would agree that those needing employment to fund their survival will find more opportunities ashore than at sea. For most of my years of liveaboard cruising I needed to keep some shoreside employment.

Question #3 is easy,- sure, get your passport.

Question #4 is complex and full of opinions that range from thoughtful to absurd. Read though a few old forums here and you'll soon get your fill.

I do believe that most successful cruisers are seeking adventure and fullfillment and not looking for escape from disappointment. Good planning is essential and I hope you'll find our community supportive. Keep us posted of your progress!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:55   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
SNIP

Question #4 is complex and full of opinions that range from thoughtful to absurd. Read though a few old forums here and you'll soon get your fill.

I do believe that most successful cruisers are seeking adventure and fullfillment and not looking for escape from disappointment.
SNIP
As for #4 only two topics are more controversial, 1) which are better monohulls or multihulls and 2)which anchor is best.

Most important thing to remember is no matter how far you sail you can't run away from you.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:11   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum, you will have to be creative to overcome the obstacles. If you want if badly enough, you can make it happen.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Frank.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:39   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

I think that trying to get into sailing and cruising without any money is a great sounding dream, but only a dream. I know people don't really want to hear this, but boats aren't cheap. I hope you get to live your dream, but take a breath first and take a hard look so it can be what you hope for.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:59   #12

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi! Treat sailing as a HOBBY! It is a variation of camping that requires deep pockets. Sail a few weeks a year, before leaving earth. Full time sailing is NOT recommended. You'll need a constant source of income (no less than $1500 USD/month) and you'll need medical & dental insurance; as we get older, our "parts" will require treatment. The boat will ALWAYS need insurance, maintenance and repairs; $$$$. The bottom line, keep your job/source of income intact; do NOT quit. Sail a few weeks every year; that's the way to enjoy life. Traveling ANYWHERE outside the US requires you to have a valid passport. Good luck!

Mauritz
Reality check is on the menu!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:52   #13
cruiser

Frank,

After reading your post a second time and giving your situation a second thought, my advice to you, would be to take a couple of sailing courses then try to get a room and board situation as crew on someone else's boat. It would solve all your issues except the need to obtain a passport.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life of Dreams View Post
Hi all,
My name is Frank and I am new to the forum. After many, many hours of reading, either I am not able to seek the answers to my questions or my eyes just cant keep up
I will say, that I think I have found a GREAT forum full of info and from what I can detect a GREAT group of people. So, I thank you for that. This is just what I need in my life.
I, like many of you here have been forever trying to quench the call to the sea. I have own power boats in the past but never any sailboats.
So you know the Rules of the Road and basic navigation.. just need to know where the winds coming from and how to hang some rags on a stick...
Although the latter have always caught my eye and all I know is I WANT the life.
I won't bother or bore you with the details leading up to my decision to commit to this fulltime life of cruising that I am choosing, but I will say this. I am going to be disappointing a few lives as I leave. I am walking away from everything and just calling it quits. I am 55 (well in 20 days) and I have just had enough. I want to be happy and enjoy the years I have left in me (I hope a lot). After all, isn't life too short not to be happy? I have never had much in the way of finances and have been out and working on my own since the age of 13. I lost everything I had in 401k a few years back and was unemployed for about a year. What I did have carried us for the year until I found work. Soooooo, I am currently seeking out that just right S/V (within reason) and plan on learning as I go. I plan on staying in the Caribbean for the most part, but the future could see me elsewhere.
Some questions I have are;
Sell off surplus non essential gear, clean masts, scrub boat bottoms, paint/repair others boats, delivery's, off the dock day charters, rent out my body.. when younger..
Never had insurance.. for example injured my foot in St Barts.. went to the hospital and got 13stitches and painkillers/meds total cost 65euro.. broke 3 ribs in Portugal.. x-ray in hospital plus treatment total cost 30euro.. life is generally cheaper outside..
3) Do I need a passport?
I'd recommend one.. simplifies life in some places.. essential in others..
Certainly.. though both will cause you problems in the long run.. a cheerful grin and friendly attitude is less hassle...
Life is as cheap or as expensive as you choose.. but folk do manage to live fairly comfortably on remarkably little if they have a mind to... and depending on the variety and quantity of their vices..
Any help or insight would be much appreciated and I have no doubt I will have more to ask. Again, thanks in advance to a great community.
Frank
Hopefully this is of some use...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:58   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

1. ssdi
when i have issues with boat, i stop and repair. one does not always constantly sail sail sail when one cruises full time.
i schedule..omg that godofulword...locations as goals to try to make for next repair.
cruising is repairing boat in exotic locales..
mine is perfect, as i repair a lot.
make sure your summer hide hole is safe from storms. is local knowledge to use all around planet-
YES. PASSPORT IS ESSENTIAL unless you choose to only cruise usa or wherever you originate from.
liability insurance is mandatory in mexico. get it from a mexican company. it is about 200 usd annually. no reason not to have.
learn diesel repair and wood working ...you will go far with those if you can do it right first time.
electrical repair could also help, but have to be really good. there are a lot of shams out here who dont know anything trying to make a fast buck off cruisers in engine repair and electrical and wood work, so if you go this route, be good at it.
rumors travel very fast on water, especially bad ones.
is merely survival on sea.
not easy, not really difficult unless you make more of it than really is.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising