Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 14:37   #1

Boat: Acapulco 40' - Custom Built - Mariko
Froli Sleep System

Does any one have a Froli Sleep System. If so do you like it and what are the advantages of one. I am considering getting one and need some information regarding this system.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds. Mark Twain
Dmarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 17:48   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
froli sleep system - Google Search
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 18:36   #3

Boat: Sabre 36 - Daydream
Bought one for our boat last year and love it. We found that it made the V-Berth much more comfortable.
coultereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 18:22   #4

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
We inherited a froli when we bought the boat. All I can say is that our master berth is more comfortable than the bed we had in our house, and way more comfortable than any boat bunk I ever slept in (shoulders always goind numb). not sure if it is the froli or the foam mattress.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 21:49   #5

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
After about 8 months of the standard nadda 2" thin old cushions in our v-berth and sore shoulders and backs, we bought the Froli system at the Oakland Strictly Sail Boat show. All I can say is "Oh my GOD". Wow. I was at work, so I did not participate in the assembly --- but when I climbed into bed, I was *stunned*. It is insanely comfortable, and I prefer sleeping on it than the pricey mattress we used to have at home. And, it has solved the sub-cushion dampness and mold issue. And made a great nights sleep possible on the boat. I LOVE the Froli system --- it didn't make the bed better, it made it the best bed we have.

They are sold with a money back guarantee, so we thought, what do we have to loose? Now, we wouldn't sell it for twice the price. The best part --- we don't have to do an expensive purchase of new cushions --- the old ones, after washing, work GREAT. Saved us LOTS of $$ not buying expensive new foam.
Old 01-01-2009, 14:35   #6

Boat: Hedwig - 1970 Cheoy Lee 36 ft.
At the risk of offending or exposing anyone, has anyone had any trouble "frolicking" on a Froli system? It seems like the plastic underpinnings might not be up to the task of frolicking and my boat bed situation has already strained my relationship enough.

Thanks.

(this is a serious question before i consider purchasing an expensive upgrade. sorry for the crassness.)
sashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 18:28   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
The website says it raises the mattress by 1 3/8".

I already added a 2" layer of memory foam over the original thin foam which helped immensely.

I can't deal with any less head room (especially during "frolicking"), so my question is,
Has anyone used a Froli system over just memory foam and if so, how thick?

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 19:18   #8

I can't comment on the Froli system but have the Neptune Slat System and love it. This uses thin wood slat bows across rubber end pieces. It lifts the mattress about as much as the Froli. It is - by far - the best boat bed I've ever had. You can also roll it up to get to lockers.

No problem in the frolicking department. The slats just bottom out on the berth if too much weight is applied. Their web site even promises "slaapcomfort" - oops - that might mean something different in dutch

Neptune Slaap- en zitcomfort, Lattenbodem, schimmelpreventie, luchtcirculatie, hoofdeind, op maat, demontabel, kliksysteem

Fisheries Supply - for one - carries it in the US.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_03161.jpg
Views:	1815
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	6524  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 23:18   #9

Boat: Tayana 48
"Frolicking"...maybe that's where Froli came up with the name...Hmmm.
In any case, and to answer your question, Yes, the Froli is definitely up to the task of frolicking. We've had ours 2 years now, lived aboard and cruised the last 15 months, and its been "tested and approved" for extra-curricular activities. TMI?
John
Old 02-01-2009, 06:46   #10

Boat: Vagabond 47
We are also looking into the Froli sleep system for our boat, I have read the info on the web site and the one question I have is how do you access the storage spaces under the system? Our boat has a ton of storage under the materess and from what I can see it looks like it would cover all the panels and make it difficult to get inside.
Any comments?
Captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:42   #11

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I have one also, to be able to access the engine compartment under the mattress, I left a section of the froli system disconnected from the rest. When I lift the mattress, I could pull out the section on top of the access panel and set it aside with out removing the rest.

The froli system was better than my foam, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be and I ended up getting a tempurpedic mattress which I really like.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:46   #12

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Frolic on a Froli in comfort. In addition to ...ah... gettin' jiggy in the v-berth, we've tried reading while sitting across the v-berth (with a nice deck prism for light even on a rainy day - finest kind reading room!), and generally crawling around to get stuff in or out of the area. The Froli springs held up just fine.

OWTW has a number of lockers under the v-berth, too. The one we get to the most holds the spinnaker and spare lines and sheets (mainly for tows and other heavy duty use). I left a section of the Froli spring set loose, as a separate panel or section that can be moved easily to get the spinnaker or lines out. The section could be joined up and unclipped as needed but... [/shrug] what we have works for us. YMMV. As to the rest of the area, I can flip up the spring set as a "sheet" or panel and it seems willing to bend (large radius turn, please!). Again, YMMV. Bottom line: Chris had to talk me into buying the springs but we're glad we did it.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:21   #13

Boat: Hylas 47
Froli drawbacks

I got the Froli system at the Oakland Strictly Sail show, and I love it, however there are a couple of drawbacks. One of them is something that they warned me about, if your mattresses have vinyl undersides, they will squeak and make noise every time you move. The other issue is that with air circulating under the mattress, it's a lot cooler. This is a plus in a hot climate, but not in a cold one. I plan on getting new foam with a Tempurpedic topper.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44   #14

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
We just purchased the Froli to help with condensation under our mattress, this worked perfect. We now have a warm and DRY mattress. We have not noticed the mattress being any colder (as we just had our first Arctic Blast here in Portland). It WORKS!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24   #15

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
+1 on that! Even with cabin temps in the 50's last fall, we had no problem with the v-berth mattress being cold. If things get chilly, think about going to flannel sheets.

On OWTW, Chris took two top sheets and sewed them together to form a sleeping bag. Instead of just putting the two sheets on top of each other and running around the sides and bottom, the bottom seam is offset by twice the short dimension of our pillows. The extra flap at the top is folded over and the sides sewn to the sheet to make a small pouch for the pillows. Play with the design by tinkering around with a couple of towels to get a sense of how this works out and then sew up the sheets accordingly. There's no need for fitted sheets or any custom cutting. One thought about washing the sheets, though: they act as giant bags and scoop up small stuff in the washer or drier (that stuff either doesn't get washed or dried well). Better to handle them as a separate load.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote