Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2011, 06:54   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Free water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
we lived there (76-83) we spent a lot of time in Malaysia
George
George,

We went by bus from Johor Baru to KL and the was NO rainforest at all. It has all been cut down and replaced with Oil Palm.
It is hideous and scary. Environmental catastrophe and the world does nothing.

It has all happened in tha last few years because one can't see the big changes on Google yet as their images are 2005 etc.

There are no other crops, no buffer zones, no fencing, no remnant rainforest or connecting zones to link bits of rainforest.
Where I took the photo below was just miles upon miles of Oil Palm, this area second generation.

Borneo was the same. The place we saw the Orangutans was just a sliver of rainforest surrounded by Oil Palm. Absolutely devastating. Wall 100 meters back from the jungle clad river the tourists go up and its just oil palm.

And for Jobi: Yes, go soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010094.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	28352  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:32   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Hi Mark,

I might have an answer for you re the black gloop.

I met an Indian guy once who wanted promotion to being a shoe shiner in Delhi. When we spoke he was working as a **** flicker, projecting lumps onto shiney shoes so as to encourage them into the arms of the shoe shiner.

His only solace was that he was no longer a **** picker, having completed his apprenticeship to reach the exhalted heights of a **** flicker.......

You sure you did not see anyone sitting in the rain and projecting gloop towards the boat from the end of a ruler?

Cheers
JOHN

Old 10-06-2011, 10:27   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
His only solace was that he was no longer a **** picker, having completed his apprenticeship to reach the exhalted heights of a **** flicker.......

You sure you did not see anyone sitting in the rain and projecting gloop towards the boat from the end of a ruler?

Cheers
JOHN
That was him!!! I'm sure!!

Mark the Picker and Flicker kicker

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

jobi--go NOW...fix underway anything needing repairing--is alll good----soon becomes later and doesnt happen--so go NOW!!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Hi Mark,

I might have an answer for you re the black gloop.

I met an Indian guy once who wanted promotion to being a shoe shiner in Delhi. When we spoke he was working as a **** flicker, projecting lumps onto shiney shoes so as to encourage them into the arms of the shoe shiner.

Cheers
JOHN
Had that delightful experience in Rio de Janeiro many years back. Hilariously, the shoe-shiner wanted more than my shoes cost to clean it off! (Less funny was how he tried to insist I walk to a secluded area before he cleaned it off).

I'm currently installing a watermaker, just to stay somewhat on topic. I know water is free almost everywhere, but I want the convenience and a dependable quality. I can still get water quayside or catching rain if I want.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:33   #21

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

a while back ago in the...nineties....we took some time to go to Nepal and India along the boarder of Tibet, we also went to Kenya and Tanzania, the pollution in these huge countries is devastating, and no matter what we do here in the west it wont matter untill we stop these countries from dumping......I dont tell people, because most wouldnt beleive it

on the other hand I do believe the earth will survive......once it gets rid of us humans
as for the drinking water...........I would prefer a system, but catching rain is still a very cool idea
Old 10-06-2011, 14:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
George,

We went by bus from Johor Baru to KL and the was NO rainforest at all. It has all been cut down and replaced with Oil Palm.
It is hideous and scary. Environmental catastrophe and the world does nothing.

It has all happened in tha last few years because one can't see the big changes on Google yet as their images are 2005 etc.

There are no other crops, no buffer zones, no fencing, no remnant rainforest or connecting zones to link bits of rainforest.
Where I took the photo below was just miles upon miles of Oil Palm, this area second generation.

Borneo was the same. The place we saw the Orangutans was just a sliver of rainforest surrounded by Oil Palm. Absolutely devastating. Wall 100 meters back from the jungle clad river the tourists go up and its just oil palm.

And for Jobi: Yes, go soon.
I am crying as I read this...iv been in Borneo, sumatra and Irian Jaya, iv studyed Indonesian wildlife for 25years...it just took me 9years to get back on my feet after an accident...all my energy came from the fact that I was going back there one day...To find what?????
Old 10-06-2011, 14:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
jobi--go NOW...fix underway anything needing repairing--is alll good----soon becomes later and doesnt happen--so go NOW!!!!!!

zee tomorow is suposed to be launching day...I cant get a hold of my transport yet??? I am a nervous wreck.

yes I agree fixing will be underway

cheers

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: