Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 08:51   #31

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: Free Boat; Any Downside?

My friend just paid nearly $10,000 to have a boat cut up and sent to a landfill because the costs of getting it ready to use far exceeded its value. And this was after paying thousands in storage costs for several years. So yes, there can be drawbacks to a free boat. Unfortunately the world is full of boats that will never successfully be brought back to life.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:10   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Again it depends on the boat.

This guy bought his "free Boat" a Bristol 27 for $4,000. Did some maintenance and crossed the Atlantic with it. Later he sailed it around Cape Horn.

Bristol27.com » Hull #352 – Steppin Out
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:13   #33

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

It very much depends on your level of skill. Are you a shipwright, engineer, electrician, sail-maker, cabinet maker and painter. Do you have lots of time available. Have a passion for boats and find working on them as much fun as sailing them. Want a custom boat that is all your ideas rather than designed for a 'typical' family, charter etc. If the answer to most of these is yes getting hold of an old or damaged hull and turning it into your dream boat can be practical. It is rarely a cheap way of doing it but can be. If you add labour cost to any task it becomes a disaster financially.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:22   #34

Btw, I still haven't done any structural repairs to my 1974 Bristol 27 as of yet. (Bought it in 2011) No thruhull replacement, no new rigging, no port leak repairs.

I have removed one stanchion and base, (epoxied the holes) but have yet to install the new one. I replaced the cable lifelines with polyester/dyneema line and tied it. I replaced the ancient diesel.

Anchors, rode, dodger, GPS, Depth, autopilot, VHF, jib, storm jib, came with the boat. I replaced the main with a new one.

I'm still using the PO's docklines, anchor and rode, gps, VHF, and depth

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - thomm225's Album: s/v Winter Dream - Picture

Boat $2,000

Mainsail $1,600

2012 Outboard Mercury 5 HP 25" extra long shaft $1,550.00

Bracket $200

Autopilot replacement $475

inverter $50 and $115 (400 and 1500 watt)

Running Rigging $200

Solar/Controllers $200

Batteries $200

Hauls for after test first two months $500-$1,000

Bottom paint 2X (2011, 2015) $600 total for both

Topside paint $88.00 Pettit EZcoat

This over 7 years.

This is maybe my 12th boat. 5th sailboat counting a sailing dinghy. (2 of the sailboats, beach cats were new) Bought first boat at 16 years old. Boat, 40 hp Johnson, rust trailer $300.00. Knowledge and experienced gained: priceless
Old 22-07-2018, 09:27   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It sounds like a pipe dream.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:35   #36

Boat: Catalina 320

If it worked as you propose why are there still so many free boats ? Or any free boats for that matter ?
Have you ever seen a "free" car ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:42   #37

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I have sold a boat for over 3 times what I paid for it plus my investment. It is not impossible. A couple years ago I was offered a free 40' sailboat boat up one of the rivers that feed into SF Bay. I passed as I was really busy and thought like all these naysayers that it would be a probable disaster. The guy who originally told me took it and sold it pretty quickly for a 5 figure profit. I don't remember the exact figure anymore. But I have also seen a boatyard full of free boats being chainsawed and dozered to fit in dumpsters.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:12   #38

Why would someone give away something of value basically: Because it's worth nothing to the giver probably because disposing of the itemcost more than anyone will give them for. I see it all the time in other areas, such as free wood you cut down a tree and haul away the trash. Or take down and old building and keep the good timber and foundation blocks. Free mobile home you haul. Free hay you cut, that computes to you mow my pasture for free. Free boat, you haul BECAUSE the city zoners gave them move-it in 30 days notice. Just another scam!!
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:37   #39

Boat: Pearson Coaster 30

thomm
yes, thats exactly my point: if the boat is good, whats the downside? not all the reasons it might be free. thats the hypothetical situation. boat is good, but needs minor repairs (say replacing cushions), is there any reason not to go for it?

I certainly wouldn't be foolhardy enough to buy the boat without seeing it in person first. I've done a lot of reading on a lot of potential problems, and even if I can't necessarily say how bad they are, I am at least confident that I would know when I'm in over my head and either need to call in someone more experienced or back out entirely.

roland
i may not be a shipwright or engineer, but there is a lot of information available for free on the internet and i learn quickly. i do have lots of experience with electrical systems, engine systems, and fiberglass repairs, high pressure systems, and more that could possibly come in handy. I'm not afraid of doing any of the work myself or problem solving or taking advice when i need it. I do want a boat that needs some work, that way its a little less expensive to purchase, and if I do the work myself, it only costs me the parts and not the labor, again saving me money.
edge0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:40   #40
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes both extremes are true in some cases.

The truth is different for every boat.

In fact varies for every possible boatwner tuple

Go into it, now better informed of the **possible** downsides, better equipped to make your own decision for your own situation.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:45   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
Why would someone give away something of value basically: Because it's worth nothing to the giver probably because disposing of the itemcost more than anyone will give them for. I see it all the time in other areas, such as free wood you cut down a tree and haul away the trash. Or take down and old building and keep the good timber and foundation blocks. Free mobile home you haul. Free hay you cut, that computes to you mow my pasture for free. Free boat, you haul BECAUSE the city zoners gave them move-it in 30 days notice. Just another scam!!
Zoning is a real consideration. Unless your in the boonies most towns have a limit on the size boat you can just store in your yard. Generally runabout size.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 14:42   #42

What type boat is it?

And if possible send/post some pictures.

There are lots of folks here with tons of knowledge.

If you could, take pictures of the keel, mast step if the mast isn't deck stepped. (if deck stepped that too) Chain plates, (above deck and below) stanchion bases, rudder, and rigging

Plus mast from a distance. if it has an inboard engine that too plus it's mounts. And the stuffing box and prop, and prop shaft
Old 22-07-2018, 15:06   #43

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

To summarize many of the comments above. Free may be overpriced!
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:24   #44

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

(null)
Wait? What? You’d deliberately dump toxic waste into the ocean? Oil /fuel in case you’re wondering what I meant.
Old 22-07-2018, 15:43   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
(null)
Wait? What? You’d deliberately dump toxic waste into the ocean? Oil /fuel in case you’re wondering what I meant.
No. You'd get rid of all that first. I carry like 2 gallons of fuel on my boat max. My holding is 3 gallons

You sail the boat offshore. Get it?

We have fuel spills regularly in Little Creek so much so that I leave the boat early. When I smell it then see it on top of the water it's time to leave.

I'm not sure which pristine place you are.

Did you ever get near an aircraft carrier. it's has 5,000-6,000 people on board plus tons of jet fuel etc and you can smell all that when near one

Tags
boat