Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 08:26   #16

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Forum trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob View Post
Finally, I am a bit of an anarchist, I have always revolted a bit against common notions (they can be incorrect, and should be challenged!), and noticed that if people have bought, possibly the worst choice of boat for e.g. ARC, are very unlikely to say anything negative about their boat...
An anarchist working in IT? Surely it's better to be between hull and rock. Indeed, I'm sharing some of your sentiments (but not the anarchy). I am envious that your enlightenment about such important things has come at the tender age of forty! Good luck to you!
Old 18-01-2015, 08:35   #17

Boat: Celestial 48

It seems to me that in general on the internet you will always get some negative, and sometime offensive comments to just about any post. Look at comments on YouTube - you would think the world is full of nut cases.

I find CF better than most anywhere else as far as manners. Not always as polite as face-to-face however. Nature of the beast.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 08:36   #18

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I come from IT myself. They crush the spirit first. Then, the body follows along naturally.
Old 18-01-2015, 08:42   #19

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Just FYI, my son is in college, and some of his friends just love to go to forums and signup and ask questions that are dumb, common, contraversial, and then sit back and just laugh. Those are what I call trolls, not the ones answers the trolls questions.

And just to add, who was it that said they had no boating experience, but were going to buy a boat sight-unseen in Cuba and sail it back to OZ? Was that a troll or a real question?
Old 18-01-2015, 10:00   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I think that was Raul Castro's post....
Old 18-01-2015, 16:55   #21

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Ciick the user name at the top of the post. The information displayed on the number of posts since joining give an indication of the poster's intent.

Separating wheat from chaff is part of life.

On the other hand you have to admit the persistence of an individual that will post over 2k time a year for more than 5 years. Add the intelligent content and it gets awe inspiring.
Old 18-01-2015, 17:27   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forum trolls

Some folk have weird hobbies...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 17:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
welcome to the forum!

sorry to be a punctuation Nazi, but could you try in future to break up long posts into paragraphs as it makes reading soooo much easier
tob actually did break his post into paragraphs, but the formatting got screwed up. You can see where the last sentence of the paragraph (usually) ends well before the end of the line. I guess that makes you (and me) one of the trolls he was talking about. Maybe you should change your forum name to atroll
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 03:52   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Some folk have weird hobbies...
says 14,440 posts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 03:55   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
says 14,440 posts
He delivers other peoples problems, er I mean boats, that's weird enough.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 04:28   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
tob actually did break his post into paragraphs, but the formatting got screwed up. You can see where the last sentence of the paragraph (usually) ends well before the end of the line. I guess that makes you (and me) one of the trolls he was talking about. Maybe you should change your forum name to atroll
very Droll,but thanks for pointing that out,was not ment as a criticism,only an observation.

however regardless of formatting errors ,reading a 2000 word unbroken sentence hurts my eyes!...must be getting old
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 05:03   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
very Droll,
must be getting old
er................
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 05:07   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

however regardless of formatting errors ,reading a 2000 word unbroken sentence hurts my eyes!...must be getting old
Getting old isn't for wuzzies!

I've been reading the thread but don't really know what the topic of discussion is other than the title. If it was in the opening post I lost it in the format/writing.

I've found that in forums short well spaced posts work best.
Old 19-01-2015, 05:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob View Post
I admit not knowing a great deal about boats.
Nothing is complicated in a boat only boat forums make them complicated.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 08:06   #30
tob

We have a saying in Swedish. If you say "A" you have to say "B". So to round up and balance what I wrote: No, I don't feel abused. And I shouldn't get that agitated about those remarks I have gotten, sure thing. It's just that this is the third boat forum I've become member of, and I've heard the remarks I stated above in other forums, here I heard I know very little or something like that, that's all really. Not nice to hear, but I don't feel very hurt, rest assured. It was the drop that flooded the glass or however you say it in English.

On the whole it seems like a nice bunch of people here! There are rotten apples everywhere. Somebody said "the nature of the beast". Makes sense I suppose. I believe in being positive though.

Regarding the term "forum troll". Not sure if one can say such a thing in English. It was coined by the Swedish journalist Robert Aschberg (fairly sure), when he did a TV series about real ******** who bullies people into suicide, or almost anyway, in some forums. He actually looked them up, behind their aliases, and showed the viewers who they really were, with their real name and all. This applies more to social forums for teenagers and the like, not this kind of forum. But I think one should keep in mind not to hurt people's feelings in forums, generally speaking. I haven't seen anything similar here. The purpose of the TV series was also to shed light on the current legislation and how it should/must change to incorporate internet etc.

Sorry about the indenting and paragraphing. I wrote it in MS Word and the formatting disappeared when pasting into the web browser. Can't seem to edit the post so it'll have to look the way it looks for now, sorry about that.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, the forums seems to look different in tablets and PCs maybe, or I might be doing something wrong.

Finally, I am really looking for _THE_ boat for us, I don't like so much to have to post my family situation etc, but I also want the best possible boat and relevant replies, so I felt I couldn't exclude the number of family members, their ages and stuff. I think it is a little to early to post this in a forum that I've recently joined, but hard to get good advice otherwise, people might think I am going to sail the boat single-handed or something, which is not the case.

Cheers mates
tob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum