Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-01-2015, 17:55   #76

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit
Re: Forum trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
CaliforniaGirl,

The forum has a custom Google search feature. It's in the "Search" pull-down menu. For some topics, the poster would quickly find a huge amount of information in prior threads by using the custom search. They'd likely find answers much more quickly than waiting for responses in a new thread.

So suggesting that a poster use the Search function isn't a put-down, it's a helpful suggestion. There's nothing like a new thread for getting the latest info or advice, but there's a lot of good stuff in the archived threads, too.
Okay, now THAT was helpful! I almost always browse the CruisersForum app on my Nexus 7 and that does not offer a Google search option, just a generalized search. The general search offers almost no filters and no Boolean operators, so it returns lots and lots of really unrelated stuff. Upon your advice, I sat down at my desktop and tried the Google search on the main website and BAM! Tons of pertinent information. Thanks so much.

Hey, trolls out there! Before you say "do a Google search", please point out that mobile apps don't have this option. Other posters, like myself, would appreciate this hint

Old 21-01-2015, 17:56   #77

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Bwahahahaha!!!

Old 22-01-2015, 00:04   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
So, you're starting from Sweden? If so, how much of the Baltic have you explored? I've heard it can take years to fully explore the Baltic (I've been following Dockhead's posts). So, if you really get to know the sea that's in your back yard, you should be super ready for that RTW. Really, from your first post it's not clear that the RTW is your intent. Either way, good luck!
You'll never fully explore the Baltic. The achipelagos of Sweden and Finland alone have something like over 100,000 islands. You can anchor at a different island every night for the rest of your life and never anchor the same spot twice.

Add in the thousands of harbours along the coasts of Denmark, Sweden, Finland the Baltic states, Germany and Poland and you can spend years visiting different towns and cities and never be in the same harbour two nights in a row. Compared to most places harbours in the Baltic are inexpensive. Ours is a 40 footer and generally we pay something like 25-30 euros per night, including water and electricity

And what's not to like up here? The drinking water is clean (no need to filter it) the food is excellent, the natives are good looking and very friendly, generally they speak excellent english and for the most part - the beer is good.

Two downsides - the season is short and the weather can be cold and rainy.

Finally - we have no tides here - you sail when you want - there is no reason to wait on the tide.
Old 22-01-2015, 03:12   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I frequently worked in Finland during the 1990s.

It was never a country on my top ten list to visit, however after being there, I totally fell in love with the country and the water. My colleagues would take me out on the boat as much as we could go and I lived in a world of ever changing and beautiful anchorages and clean water and peacefulness.

So very very wonderful.

Highly recommended. And Im a warm weather person. Id do it again.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 04:11   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You'll never fully explore the Baltic. The achipelagos of Sweden and Finland alone have something like over 100,000 islands. You can anchor at a different island every night for the rest of your life and never anchor the same spot twice.

Add in the thousands of harbours along the coasts of Denmark, Sweden, Finland the Baltic states, Germany and Poland and you can spend years visiting different towns and cities and never be in the same harbour two nights in a row. Compared to most places harbours in the Baltic are inexpensive. Ours is a 40 footer and generally we pay something like 25-30 euros per night, including water and electricity

And what's not to like up here? The drinking water is clean (no need to filter it) the food is excellent, the natives are good looking and very friendly, generally they speak excellent english and for the most part - the beer is good.

Finally - we have no tides here - you sail when you want - there is no reason to wait on the tide.
I've never paid any mind to the Baltic before. Probably because the coast of Canada is so huge- even the Great Lakes will take several years to explore.

After reading this short description of the Baltic I all of a sudden feel the tug of curiosity. Beer and good looking natives sounds so much more appealing than rock, trees and total isolation.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-01-2015, 08:07   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
On the topic of Forum Trolls, OP don't pay them any mind. I used to be a gamer and was both troller and trollee. While the practice of trolling is best left in the gaming community and dissapate with age, occasionally bad habits can be difficult to shed. For the most part, Trolls are harmless and are just trying to get a temporary rise out of their intended target. Either ignore/block them or feed them "a bit" to keep some laughs going. On the other hand it is NOT...EVER... acceptable to escalate into any form of harassment.

If you want to take a more active approach toward Forum Trolls, you can use various strategies that you can use**. Below are a couple helpful links to help guide your strategy:

1. Counter Trolling
2. White Knighting

** While these may all seem like viable solutions, the best way to deal with a troll is to live your life to the fullest and happiest extent you are able to attain Let the trolls rot under their bridge
Now that's some darn good advice right there!! Thanks SailingwithSoul!!!
Old 22-01-2015, 08:19   #82

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Now you have me wanting to cruise the Baltic!

I think your post would be a good one as a new topic added to the "Destinations" forum here on this site. Perhaps with a title like "Reasons to Cruise the Baltic."

Your short post got me thinking about the possibilities: Many things to see, multiple cultures, great food and drink, countless islands to explore.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:14   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
I frequently worked in Finland during the 1990s.

It was never a country on my top ten list to visit, however after being there, I totally fell in love with the country and the water. My colleagues would take me out on the boat as much as we could go and I lived in a world of ever changing and beautiful anchorages and clean water and peacefulness.

So very very wonderful.

Highly recommended. And Im a warm weather person. Id do it again.
Sounds like northern BC. Only the inhabitants there speak bear, and occasionally Canadian...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grizzy1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	474.0 KB
ID:	95938  
Old 22-01-2015, 14:20   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

2 seasons in Canada

Winter and July.
Old 22-01-2015, 14:22   #85

Vancouver has a nicer climate than London
Old 22-01-2015, 14:23   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Vancouver has a nicer climate than London
England doesnt have climate. It has weather.
Old 22-01-2015, 14:33   #87

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
2 seasons in Canada

Winter and July.
More specifically, winter & mosquitoes. But the same can be said for much of the US upper midwest.
Old 22-01-2015, 14:33   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
More specifically, winter & mosquitoes. But the same can be said for much of the US upper midwest.
I try to only irritate one nation at a time
Old 22-01-2015, 14:34   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and..........

Vancouver: 1,117 mm
London: 601 mm
Copenhagen: 613 mm
Hamburg: 773 mm

Rainfall.

Weather...
Old 22-01-2015, 19:20   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Now we are going to talk about weather? Lets get back to the trolls, you never know when I'm going to grab you from under a bridge!

Tags
rum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: