Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 20:18   #1

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
force 10 heater

hello everyone i have a force 10 kerosene heater in my 27ft catalina. it works great but the question i have is can i use diesel or biodiesel fuel in this heater or am i limited to only kerosene? thanks
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:28   #2

I think you'll want to stick to kerosene. Good heater, by the way.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:34   #3

i read somewhere that i could even use naptha white gas fuel . does anyone have any experience with multiple fuels in this heater
Old 08-09-2008, 20:52   #4

White gas (naptha) is extremely dangerous stuff; I'd keep that crap away from a kerosene stove at all costs.

The problems with diesel (and jet fueld) is that it can have additives that you really don't want to be breathing in. It's supposed to work, and since you're talking about a vented heater it might not be that bad.

Most of my kerosene experience is with lamps and stoves, which both vent into the cabin.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:16   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
hello everyone i have a force 10 kerosene heater in my 27ft catalina. it works great but the question i have is can i use diesel or biodiesel fuel in this heater or am i limited to only kerosene? thanks
I don't know if Force 10 offers the option, but to burn a fuel with a different viscosity, you will need to change out the fuel metering valve.

For example, diesel is thicker than kerosene, so you will need to have a larger opening in the needle valve to allow the right amount of fuel through.

If you put other fuels into the heater without changing the fuel metering valve, you will end up with either too little fuel flowing (in the case of diesel) or too much fuel flowing (as in the case of say...alcohol).
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:40   #6

so if i were to be looking for a replacement heater for a boat in the range of 27-35 ft what would be the preferred choice. diesel / kerosene propane ???
Old 09-09-2008, 20:11   #7

For me it is a no brainer as I would go for the diesel as I usually have plenty in the tank but it will take a bit more maintenance. I think kerosene will burn for years without too much maintenance. Still I would go with the diesel.
charlesmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I think the #100004 model may use Diesel & Kerosene. See also Sully's comments about jets & valves re viscosity.
Goto: Force 10 / Heaters p.1
www.force10.com/heaters/index2.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 19:24   #9

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
Hi I used a Taylor parafin stove/oven for 14 yrs, also still have the force 10 heater. i ran everything on paint thinner. It was usually cheaper than kerosene and a cleaner product. Finally went to propane when I couldn't replace the burners for under $80/ea, we were burning out burners at the rate of 1 every 18 mths. Still miss that stove, it was pretty and WAY safer than propane, especially since my diesel is under the floor. George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 08:24   #10

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We have both kerosene burners and diesel burners. Sadly we can no longer find burners for the heater. We are investigating other diesel heaters that will fit the spot.
Nice heater, we have enjoyed it but it's time will be coming to a close if we cannot replace the burners.
Fair Winds
SV Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 09:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
Nice heater, we have enjoyed it but it's time will be coming to a close if we cannot replace the burners.
Sorry if this is a bit obvious, but i recently replaced the burner (and got a couple of spares) on my old (but excellent) force 10 after I found someone selling a job lot on ebay.ca
ChuckMcB is offline   Reply With Quote