Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2011, 15:34   #1

For Those Who Live Aboard

Two questions. Those who shower aboard, the standard hot water heater seems to be six gallons, how long can you shower? I have an iMac 27inch and it is very simple and doesn't take a lot of space, but looking at the various nav stations which is probably where I would like it to sit, where on earth do you put your printer? As much as I read this forum those are two things I just couldn't figure out :P

Thanks!

B

Old 24-11-2011, 15:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: For those who live aboard

Long showers are not the norm on boats, least wise on the ones I've been on. Really you'll use maybe a gallon or so, with a sailors shower. Thats wet, water off, wash from the top down and rinse. With an added hair conditioner and rinse maybe. 6 gallons would last enough for two showers and the dishes. That's for coastal cruising.

Or about 7 minutes total shower time maybe if you used it all in one go.

I don't have a printer yet but if I get one it will be a wireless type. Then I could mount it out of the way. If I need a copy of something I print it to a PDF and send it to a friends printer via google chrome cloud print, which works even in the middle of nowhere as long as you have wifi or cell connection

Old 24-11-2011, 16:05   #3

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23

I use a very small (1x2x8.5 inch) portable printer that I keep in the laptop bag with a Neat scaner (about the same size). Both would fit in the Nav table. I did use them to print out airline tickects or scan my time card but not flying much now that I'm living onboard and I do the timecard on line now.

Mark
Old 24-11-2011, 16:06   #4

Thank you for the quick response. I can live with 7 minutes. Every hot shower I've had for the past year stepping into it I have wondered that! I will probably insert a valve for a quick on off without having to re set the temperature of the water. As far as the printer I was thinking the same thing, a compact wireless printer out of the way. Funny enough my wife is the one who takes the 3 minute showers here in the apartment.
Old 24-11-2011, 16:41   #5

Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk

More to the point of your question, 6 gallons is small enough that you're going to run out of hot from time to time. Think late evening, do the dishes and then try to shower before bed. Not gonna work well - you don't actually have 6 gallons of hot to work with because it gets diluted with cold before it can recover. 6 gallons is what our last RV had and we made it work but with 2 people it was often a challenge. 1 person would probably work OK most of the time.
Old 24-11-2011, 16:48   #6
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Printer was in the Vee Berth..... and my water heater was only 2 gallons!
Old 24-11-2011, 16:53   #7

We shower at the Rec Center on the way home from work... $60 pays for two people unlimited showers for an entire year...It keeps the humidity down on our boat too...
Old 24-11-2011, 16:58   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I use a demand hot water heater (propane) and have a 120 gals of water on board, I take 5-7 minute showers, 5-7 gals or so my shower head is close to 1 gal a minute. I use a portable printer I haul out and setup when I need to print.
Old 24-11-2011, 19:07   #9

Boat: 38ft Irwin center cockpit sloop MERIDIAN

Shower together...........saves water and lends spice to life!!!!!!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 19:44   #10

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Shower together...........saves water and lends spice to life!!!!!!!!

Won't necessarily save water.
Old 24-11-2011, 19:44   #11

We have alternate schedules I work nine to five and she 6 to 3 so it should be good for each of us to shower in the morning. A shower big enough for 2 is going to have to be a priority in the boat selection... That could be a great thread! Looking for liveaboard boat with shower for two! I don't print to often but it kinda dawned on me today. Of those who work from the boat what kind of office setup do you have? I do bookkeeping and my wife will be taking a university course online to get her bachelors. I've seen an aft cabin completely converted to an office, what else have people come up with?
Old 24-11-2011, 20:05   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

I presume you'll be on shore power? If not, your showers will be limited by your tankage. If so, look at installing an electric "on demand" type water heater. Link for one type below:
Electric Tankless Water Heaters - Stiebel Eltron
We have a 10 gallon electric, but then we're in a tropical climate so it doesn't have to add much heat to the ambient temperature (and we only have hot showers in winter).

I have an A3 printer which I've positioned remotely with an Airport wireless network. The whole setup runs easily off a 500W inverter. I just work at the dining table and have created storage for my work tools adjacent. I'm doing architecture on a 17" MacBook Pro, and it's as convenient to work on our sailboat as on our motor boat. When the weathers good I move outside.

Cheers
Old 24-11-2011, 20:39   #13

This tankless water heater is something I've never heard of it before I'm going to really look into it thank you. We are going to be in marina the first two years then cruise for three, then asses. While cruising sponge baths and public showers will be part of the experience but while working full time showers at home are a priority. We will be in a marina so it shouldn't be a problem. Now one thing I haven't pictured is extending the office to the cockpit, that sounds very very nice.
Old 24-11-2011, 23:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorcranker View Post
We shower at the Rec Center on the way home from work... $60 pays for two people unlimited showers for an entire year...It keeps the humidity down on our boat too...

It's actually a sound idea. I usually get my showers in at the gym here in San Diego.
Old 25-11-2011, 02:17   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: For Those Who Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude2010 View Post
Two questions. Those who shower aboard, the standard hot water heater seems to be six gallons, how long can you shower? I have an iMac 27inch and it is very simple and doesn't take a lot of space, but looking at the various nav stations which is probably where I would like it to sit, where on earth do you put your printer? As much as I read this forum those are two things I just couldn't figure out :P

Thanks!

B

You can extend your showering capabilities by getting a camper's solar shower. You can easily rig a curtain around it for privacy, and you'll have a far more comfortable shower. You can even get two -- wash with salt water and Joy, rinse with fresh water.

Wireless IS the way to go with a printer. Put down some pad eyes so you can easily strap it down when sailing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: