Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-01-2012, 15:37   #61

Re: For Those Who Live Aboard

We have the Raritan 6 gallon marine with heat exchanger, with a hefty FW pump as we can't stand having a shower that feels like standing under warm pee. It lasts about 10 minutes so it's a scedualed shower system. Recovery is good from AC power around 20-30 minutes. We're routing the engine heat exchanger to our oil burning, 45000 btu hydronic heating system that should give us full time hot water on demand. We have a 200 gpd water maker and 130 gallons of FW, so no real problems there. Our wireless (but wired directly to the nav computer) printer is kept on a shelf in the main nav station, strapped and bungeed (still easy to access though for ink carts) to prevent becoming a missile in rough weather.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 17:54   #62
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have hinted at it acouple times but nobody seems to come up with it... so I'll make it a bit easier... for all who want long hot showers but no water heaters and no water makers etc. :

Think salt water, hot salt water from the shower head. Think engine and heat exchanger as source of heat. Sea as source of water. Pump to combine them.

I rather run my 50 gph water maker a bit...

cheers,
Nick.

Old 03-01-2012, 15:28   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
God... your so 19th century...
Us Modern Sailors use Solar Showers... (Mod's please install a 'Smug' Icon)
The heat of the shower isn't as important to me as wasting limited fresh water. When you are living on a budget (on land or sea) your consumption can't exceed quantity / length of time till you can buy more. Practice now - get wet, water off, soap/shampoo up, rinse, water off. Same with washing your face/brushing teeth. It takes getting used to. Having lived on St. Thomas & St. Croix USVI for years, you learn to conserve.
Old 03-01-2012, 19:01   #64
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxchick View Post
Having lived on St. Thomas & St. Croix USVI for years, you learn to conserve.
Why? Do they have water shortages there?

ciao!
Nick.
Old 03-01-2012, 19:20   #65

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

If it hasnt been said before I reckon these are the go for those with limited water, heating and budget.

The wife has long hair and she could wash it and shower and still leave enough of the 5 litres for me to shower.

$10 at most hardware stores
Old 03-01-2012, 19:35   #66

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sounds like luxury,all i ever give the crew is a bucket,dish washing liquid,and 1/2 liter of fresh water to rinse off with!!!!
I just wash in regular seawater when I am on my way : no use to spill the drinkwater that I don' t drink anyway.
Done that for months consecutively. Sailing is not like caravaning on the water.
My previous boat had a shower and a boiler but I never used it, my late friend with whom I sailed many times on his boat took each day a long shower, leaving little water for cooking.
As a revange I trhrew al his plants overboard, another bad habit to collect a garden on a boat ....yak!
Old 03-01-2012, 20:14   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why? Do they have water shortages there?

ciao!
Nick.
Most of the houses on the islands have cisterns - not public water. There are certain areas - near town and some others that have public water. If you have a cistern and there isn't much rainfall - or if you use alot - you have to buy water. I know some people who are frugal with their water use and may only have to get water delivered once or twice a year. Others have it delivered on a regular basis - but they can afford it. When I was living there last year, we had 10,000 gallons delivered for about $325.00 My roommate had a 14 year old who didn't like to take short showers - we went through that water in a month.

Right now, St. Thomas has very limited public water (from the Water & Power Authority). It is being rationed between areas of the island/housing areas - they run 2 hours once a day in each area. This, supposedly, is due to some parts the WAPA can't get in. This has been going on for 2 months now - with no real end in sight. Seniors and disabled living like this for 2 months. The locals are angrier because cruise ships are given preferential water delivery and all the tourist areas get water. Even the hospital is affected. Tourism over sick people... The Governor there refuses to declare a state of emergency or anything. Life isn't easy for residents right now.
Old 03-01-2012, 23:37   #68

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

"The locals are angrier because cruise ships are given preferential water delivery"

Cruise ships make all thier own water (RO and distillation), they couldn't operate if they needed water from shore in the Carib.
Old 04-01-2012, 00:28   #69

@nwdiver - To clarify (my wording mistake) - the preferential deliveries are for the businesses which the cruise ship passengers frequent. On the 28th December, there were 11,000 passengers landing on St. Thomas. To help offset the lack of working bathrooms, the Tourism & Public Works had portable toilets in one of the parks behind the open market near the waterfront.

Even though residents know how much of the economy comes from the cruise ships, there is the resentment that comes from "THEY get bathroom facilities, but we don't?!?" It is a slap in the face that the tourist shops and areas get water before the people who live there. The people who work in those tourist shops...

Each side has its own view on it - the tourists bring income to the Territory and so they come first. The other side - we live here but currently have no basic services - living in unsanitary and unhealthy conditions - forced squalor. And yet the tourists take priority.

Just a bit of the reality. Don't get me wrong - I love the USVI. I've lived there the majority of 2005 till 2010. This is the worst it has been in that time.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

USVI Water Shortages

Power outage follows water shortage on St. Thomas - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

http://www.agr.hokudai.ac.jp/ICSA08/...39.Solomon.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31   #71

Send a message via MSN to cruisincanucks Send a message via Yahoo to cruisincanucks Send a message via Skype™ to cruisincanucks

We have a garden sprayer painted black which heats the water to a very god temperature . You simply pump up the pressure and presto you have a great shower...used this method in PNW and Mexico.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:42   #72
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

A couple of solar showers work in nice weather. We always sailed into the squalls in the south pacific, and after the water tanks were topped off we could shower on the deck in the squall to our hearts content with out worrying about consumption only had to make sure there was enough rain storm left to rinse off. We only used fresh water for drinking and some cooking.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:43   #73
cruiser

Boat: Catalac, sailing catamaran, 10 meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sounds like luxury,all i ever give the crew is a bucket,dish washing liquid,and 1/2 liter of fresh water to rinse off with!!!!

you are not even 19th century you are Spartan, i gather you dont dig watermakers?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48   #74
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: For Those Who Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirimbas View Post
you are not even 19th century you are Spartan, i gather you dont dig watermakers?
It gets worse...
What he did not mention is it only happens twice...
Spring and Autumn..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
USVI Water Shortages
This is the nature of the future for all of us. If there's any doubt about global climate change, and the importance it means to humanity; it's connection to our fresh water supply and the air we breathe; indifference is not a choice. I doubt if there's a boater out there that sees a change is "a comin'". I'm glad we have a boat.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: