Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 19:46   #31

Re: For Those Who Live Aboard

Speaking of computer equipment, here in the apartment we plug a lot in, two cell phones a laptop a tablet. I think a lot of things that you would normally plug in would be built into the vessel, lighting, microwave, stereo, refrigerator ect, what about the other appliances, what do you do to neatly and efficiently power them?

Edit: All of this would certainly add a draw to the amp hours, has anyone determined the cost on keeping these active?
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 20:26   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hmmm... one can have hour-lasting hot showers even on the smallest boats. Think about watercooled engines, heat exchangers and hot salt water showers. All this described many years ago in the Cruising Encyclopedia, a book still worthy of careful study.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 21:17   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

the Cruising Encyclopedia, a book still worthy of careful study.

Nick.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 21:56   #34

Boat: C&C 38'

I grew up with propane on the ranch. I drove propane fueled tractors, drove propane fueled pick-ups, had propane at the ranch house. In my life of 71 years I have seen far more houses destroyed by electric problems than propane problems. I have seen far more trucks destroyed by gasoline than diesel.
On my boat-diesel for the aux engine and propane for the cook stove.
I also use a printer/scanner for the nav-station laptop.
We use the transom shower more then the one in the small head. In there we sponge bath. We love getting to a marina and taking long showers!
Old 25-11-2011, 22:11   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude2010 View Post
We will be situated quite north in the Atlantic near Halifax to begin with so solar showers won't work day to day. I won't risk our safety on something that is dangerous but while on shore power is the electrical water on demand system appropriate? At the moment we have a clunky AirPrint printer and scanner and the wireless functionality works flawlessly. I also tend to take a picture of documents with my iPhone more often than scanning them in conjunction with Evernote. For heating I am contemplating either forced air or hydronic depending on the installation process on the boat we land. Will a hydronic system improve showers over that of the normal 6 gallon hot water heater?
If you install a hydronic system you can plumb in an Everhot diesel water heating system which is quite small and will provide unlimited hot water safely. We have one with a huge shower in the aft cabin with a bench seat and all. So nice after grinding fiberglass to take a long shower right here on the boat. I can get in with my 4 yr old twins with room to spare.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 06:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
If you install a hydronic system you can plumb in an Everhot diesel water heating system which is quite small and will provide unlimited hot water safely.
I Checked it out and it seems fantastic, do you use it to completely replace the regular hot water heater? How efficient do you find the regular cost to use it, as far as fuel consumption. Do you simply switch it on when you desire the hot water? It seems as though it would be very quick to heat the water once turned on.

I agree, using diesel and propane is safe when used properly.
Old 26-11-2011, 06:46   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: For Those Who Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hmmm... one can have hour-lasting hot showers even on the smallest boats. Think about watercooled engines, heat exchangers and hot salt water showers. All this described many years ago in the Cruising Encyclopedia, a book still worthy of careful study.

ciao!
Nick.
You mean I can convert my engine to give me running hot water.... WOW....
Tell me more....

Regarding 20min showers... now I know why its around 1am in the morning before the waters hot enuf for a shower in the Marina.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05082009(001).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	34096  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 08:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

You mean I can convert my engine to give me running hot water.... WOW....
Tell me more....

Regarding 20min showers... now I know why its around 1am in the morning before the waters hot enuf for a shower in the Marina.....
From what I understand the engine doesn't need to be run to make the hot water when it is in conjunction with the hydronic heating system, that's what makes it great. At my club the kids go from the pool to shower and stay in there for hours without ever running out of hot water. I guess that is one more pro to showering aboard your own vessel.
Old 26-11-2011, 08:37   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: For Those Who Live Aboard

Quote:
From what I understand the engine doesn't need to be run to make the hot water when it is in conjunction with the hydronic heating system, that's what makes it great. At my club the kids go from the pool to shower and stay in there for hours without ever running out of hot water. I guess that is one more pro to showering aboard your own vessel.
So if I rig a Hydronic Heating System to my OB I can rent out the shower to other small boat folk.... make money while cruising...
How big a barge would I need to tow...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 08:41   #40

Haha you could put a curtain around your RIB and offer bath/showers.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:29   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I Checked it out and it seems fantastic, do you use it to completely replace the regular hot water heater?

We kept the 20 gal. AC water heater w/heat exchanger. This gives us hot water when on the dock for dishes/etc, even enough for a decent shower. And the heat exchanger provides free hot water when under way.
But if you wanted to do just the Everhot it would work fine and save a ton of space.

How efficient do you find the regular cost to use it, as far as fuel consumption.

Good enough that I haven't bothered to calculate it exactly. But then we have 450 gal. diesel aboard....

Do you simply switch it on when you desire the hot water?

Yes. This is why it's so efficient. It provides unlimited hot water for laundry or long showers. We have 4 yr. old twins and we live aboard so we need it. In the mornings there's cooking, cleaning, showers, etc all at once. Not enough hot water without the Everhot.

It seems as though it would be very quick to heat the water once turned on.

It is. Like instantly.

I agree, using diesel and propane is safe when used properly.

I would not use the propane equivalant. They have a bad track record. The diesel version is much safer.

Hope that is helpful and informative.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 09:48   #42

It is extremely helpful thank you very much. The intended use for propane would be for the stove and maybe a stern rail barbecue. It's nice to know efficient showers in the head are also possible while on the hook. Our boat will probably have about 40 gallons for diesel but it sounds still better than my dad having to fill the oil tank to heat his house for 300$ a month.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:57   #43

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
The simplest, most reliable hot water heater for showering, is a 2.5 gallon black plastic garden sprayer with a dish washing nozzel on the hose. It sits on deck getting solar heated during the day, or in winter, we pump it up & use it to fill the tea kettle. After the kettle whistles, we put that amount back into the bottle. We are now good for two perfectly warm cockpit showers, (or down below), and use only 1 gal each. I don't know the lifespan... after 16 years, ours still works fine. Cost? < $25!

M.
+A1

I used a solar shower in NZ for years both above and below decks....two people could shower with 8 to 10 liters.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
I forgot to mention the printer. We started off with a Canon BJ-70 and a scanner cartridge when we left in the late 90's and still have it. It spends most of the time in the computer bag waiting to be used. I usually make sure it works, by printing a copy of the 1040 to send to Uncle Sam via snail mail once a year. Cheers.
I had two of the little Canon BJC series printers while living on the boat. Maybe I was unlucky, but it seemed it was a real guessing game whether it would print or not. The print head clogs. A new print head is about the same price as the whole printer! I have had real bad luck with canon printers even at home. Not sure why I ever started buying them! Since I quit buying them I've had trouble free printing! JMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:19   #45

Quote:
This tankless water heater is something I've never heard of it before I'm going to really look into it thank you. We are going to be in marina the first two years then cruise for three, then asses. .
You're going touring by donkey?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote