Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 13:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
For the Love of Baking

My wife loves to bake, and the oven on our new-to-us Tayana won't suit her needs.

It's a Force 10 three-burner propane with oven, almost new, but the oven is preposterously tiny.

Can anyone suggest a good quality stove with the biggest possible oven that would fit 21.5" width between the gimbals, 18.75" depth and 21" height? Three-burner is best but we're not restricted to that aspect.

Many thanks... Jim and Lynne
Old 08-12-2013, 13:55   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: For the love of baking

They're all about the same size......Actually when we replaced our range I seem to recall that the force 10 had a slightly larger oven than most.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:59   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

maybe the SMEV 3 burner stove, grill & oven would fit the bill. I can cook a pretty large leg of lamb in ours and Lisa can back 2 loafs of bread.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 22:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Didn't mean to slam all Force 10 stoves since I now they have larger units, but their big American Standard (nor Euro Standard) units will not fit our cutout without radical customization.

We like the look of the SMEV, and the size might work, but some posters online say they don't get very hot. Looking at the the KW (metric btu) figures seems to bear this out.

Haven't searched here or elsewhere for reviews of Tasco cookers, though they seem to have large ovens and hot burners and fairly compact overall dimensions. Anyone familiar with these?
Old 09-12-2013, 00:06   #5

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
My wife loves to bake, and the oven on our new-to-us Tayana won't suit her needs.

It's a Force 10 three-burner propane with oven, almost new, but the oven is preposterously tiny.

Can anyone suggest a good quality stove with the biggest possible oven that would fit 21.5" width between the gimbals, 18.75" depth and 21" height? Three-burner is best but we're not restricted to that aspect.
I am going to take a guess that the suitability is not about size, but the temperature and the ability to regulate oven temperature. Have you tried changing the propane pressure regulator? Maybe changing the burner orifice would be worthwhile also.

I am also guessing that you do not have a temperature gauge. If knowing what the temperature is, is the issue, get an oven thermometer.

The three things suggested above will cost you little and may solve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59   #6

Boat: Nassau 34

Have a new Tasco 2 burner stove and oven ( about a month now), liveaboard so I cook almost every night, lately been making pizzas a lot and can get the stove to 500 degrees. It works great and I love it! Wanted the 3 burner, but wouldn't fit in my space.

If your interested in one, I brought mine directly from Tasco, gave me a good price and shipping was really low compared to other on-line store.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I am going to take a guess that the suitability is not about size, but the temperature and the ability to regulate oven temperature. Have you tried changing the propane pressure regulator? Maybe changing the burner orifice would be worthwhile also.

I am also guessing that you do not have a temperature gauge. If knowing what the temperature is, is the issue, get an oven thermometer.

The three things suggested above will cost you little and may solve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill, good advice, but the problem is size. The little Force 10 we have now does get quite hot (my wife tells me) but she can't make bread. Even in a tiny pan, a single loaf cannot rise more than an inch without hitting the roof of the oven. We tried to make pizza... virtually a slice at a time... and it was laughable.

But to be honest, if I was alone I would be perfectly happy with the oven because it is rare that I bake more than a potato. For bread, I am happy making bannock in a frying pan... My wife is not.

Our Tayana 37 does not have a huge space for an oven, and we have each spent many hours searching online for decent-sized ovens that we can install on gimbals.

We are also open to installing a fixed oven, while gimballing two or three burners above it (since we don't expect to do much baking while underway), though good, solid gimballed burners alone seem to be becoming more and more rare, nevermind standalone propane ovens.

Jim
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor View Post
Have a new Tasco 2 burner stove and oven ( about a month now), liveaboard so I cook almost every night, lately been making pizzas a lot and can get the stove to 500 degrees. It works great and I love it! Wanted the 3 burner, but wouldn't fit in my space.

If your interested in one, I brought mine directly from Tasco, gave me a good price and shipping was really low compared to other on-line store.
Blueman, which model is that? We have heard good things about the Tascos, both the 2-burner and 3-burner models, and like the size of their ovens, but would have to make some modifications to get the gimballed models to fit.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:15   #9

Boat: Beneteau 393
We have a Force 10 on our Beneteau 393. We bake great bread and homemade pizza with breadsticks. We use a 8X11 shallow Browne pan or our 9" Round Teflon pan. Our loaves are not as tall, but sure are good!

We use a smaller batch, about 3/4 cup of liquid in our recipe.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 10:28   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: For the Love of Baking

For the purpose of collecting some data, the Princess - 3 Burner oven has a width of 15.25" x depth of 14.5" and a 8.0" heigth.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:36   #11

Might be worth checking this out:
Omnia Stove Top Baking Oven

I have no space for an oven at all...but just buying a new two burner stove and think this might be a good match for that.

Paul
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:59   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jimbim,

It would be interesting to see the actual dimensions you are dealing with.

An outside-the-box solution is to cook bread in the pressure cooker (with the gasket removed). The bread is round, then, and that might not suit, but we used the method in the Solomon Islands and found the fresh bread well worth putting up with the idiosyncratic shape. I used to cut off the edges, and serve them up as garlic bread, leaving behind a square loaf.

We had a 2 burner ENO in our previous "Insatiable", and its oven accommodated a 6 k. turkey; therefore, that French brand might have something that would work for you.
Old 21-12-2013, 13:39   #13

My life revolved around gourmet cooking - primarily baking - before my boat abducted me. I sympathize with your wife! Years of $$ of exquisite bakeware and associated gadgets exited my life because it either would not fit in the oven or the sink. Most of what I tried to keep corroded.

So, if you wait a while, maybe your wife's dirt-dweller bakeware and gadgets will corrode away all by themselves ... although I'm thinking your oven must be *really* small if she hasn't bitched about washing stuff in the sink. I have a three-burner Force 10 stove/oven, and although don't find the oven *that* small I think my judgement has been impaired by living aboard for too long.

BTW, I HATE my Force 10 stove/oven - and size has nothing to do with it. Thanks everyone who posted about other brands, when I win the lotto my Force 10 is overboard.

And HOW did you fit a 3-burner stove on your T-37??? Very impressive.

Back to your wife, or as the Brits on YBW call them, SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed. I got a solar oven! It bakes GREAT, Bread doesn't exactly brown, but it does bake. I'm too busy with my boat to bake as much as I would like, so mostly I use it as a slow cooker for one-pot meals.

Here is a Yahoo group I joined: Yahoo Groups I looked for the main solar Cooking web site but my bookmarks are somewhat disorganized. Get her a solar oven for x-mas, help her make beans or rice or something simple and she'll be so enamored with the outcome and concept she'll forget about the stupid Force 10 oven.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 13:42   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We have a great oven, but we don't deserve to have it! We don't bake in our oven, but only use it for storage of pots and pans. We occasionally bake in a smaller toaster oven. I'm blessed with a vulgar palate and only desire the lump of material in my stomach for satisfaction!