Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 18:10   #16

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
In 1972 the day after I left Panama heading for the Galapagos my Mother opened my jury notice and waited for me to get in touch. When I talked to her she advised me of it.
Had my Dad call up pretending to be me and advised them where I was. He told them I was in French Polynesia. No problem, just call us when you get back. Sure my Dad replied, he was a real joker anyway.
True to our word, when I got back about 4 years later, went to the court house and told them of my situation. About all they did was laugh their A$$E$ off. Told me to have a good day...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I can't imagine the bureaucrats actually DOING anything about it...
Oh, but they will. Not track you down, of course. Just make a note in the records. In some jurisdictions they will even issue a bench warrant. Then, perhaps a few years later, when you drop by for a visit and happen to get stopped by the police for speeding or running a red light, you get clapped into handcuffs and taken downtown because of it. Or perhaps you finally go home, your boat gets broken into and you report it to the police. Guess what? Yep, handcuffs and a trip downtown because you ignored your jury summons.

This sort of thing won't happen everywhere, of course. In fact, in lots of places they really don't care if you respond to the jury summons or not. But in some places they do care. In some places they care VERY MUCH! That's why you need to understand the laws and the consequences in your particular place of residence. General comments from around the country aren't worth much. You need to know how your particular state (sometimes the particular county) handles these things.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Been called several times but have never served on a jury. I've had jury duty deferred because I would be out of the country. I was also disqualified because I had moved out of the court's jurisdiction. I have never served as a juror because at least one of the attorneys have always taken exception of me or defendants accepted a plea agreement immediately before the jurors were selected.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37   #19

In Los Angeles, you can get two deferments; after that they say they'll come and get you. I say go for it.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 14:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Laughing out loud.

Wow.

I can't imagine the bureaucrats actually DOING anything about it and using active satellite imagery, AIS data, radio signal triangulation, helicopters, ships and planes to go find a guy on a boat in the caribbean.
That's not the issue. The issue is knowing that whenever you go "home", there's a warrant waiting for you. I'm a cop, so I'll never have to serve jury duty. But for the rest of you, imagine flying home suddenly for the funeral of a loved one, having a tail light burn out on your rental car, and going to jail instead of the funeral. It's not the cop's fault- we have no discretion when it comes to warrants. It's a direct order from the judge.
Inverlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 14:18   #21
cruiser

how are cops excluded from serving on jury duty???

I would understand they would be rarely selected, but the lottery format of teh jury summons dont know if you are a cop or a crook?(maybe both??? heheh)

And yea, it is best to avoid the hassle of having a warrant but, cops, (at least the two that are my buddies), tell me they can do anything they want... arrest someone not arrest someone, with or without a warrant... it is all subjective...

part of the reason i abhore authority figures is the ever present mentality that they are just doing thier job and or following orders... which is bs... when they arrive on scene they pick and choose who wears the bracelets instantly, and who doesnt, and i guarantee that if it is a domestic disturbance the male will be cuffed every time and the female only after every shred of information is gathered and every lt is advised...

I will shut up now, for the above mentioned reasons...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 15:04   #22

Bergovoy, as it appears that Reynolds is your haberdasher of choice, I'll illuminate a little.

The fourth amendment to the U.S. Constiution allows numerous ways to legally perform warrantless searches. If you are having a hard time getting on board with the U.S. Constitution, you are free to find a country of residence more to your liking.

The goal of a law enforcement professional is to generate voluntary compliance with the law. In achieving that goal, police officers are allowed discretion in some areas, and not in others- it ain't a moving target. If we are legally compelled to arrest, we arrest. In areas that we are allowed discretion, we may be able to solve the problem without an arrest.

The donut jokes never get old, but as a cop/trialthlete who is approaching AARP membership age, I can run a mile in six minutes flat, bench press nearly 300 pounds, and haven't lost a fight since President Ford was in Office. And I'm not anything special.
Inverlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:10   #23
cruiser

btw you didnt answer the question i asked about how cops are immune from being subpoened for jury duty? and or not required to be on the jury?

I am sure that a cop woulndt be chosen on any jury becuase of thier one sided opinion of right v wrong, but your claim was wrong...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:15   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Several posts have been deleted because they are way off the topic of this thread, which is how have the members of this Forum dealt with a jury summons from "back home" while they were cruising. It would be appreciated if members confine their responses to relating their personal experiences which directly answer the OP's questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 06-01-2011, 19:23   #25

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
To answer one question, LEO's are exempt from jury duty because they are considered to be biased. That's how you get out of jury duty by being biased about the case. Plus being a LEO gives officers an inside view of the case, because of what they could have overheard around the station.

If you are out of the country it is considered undue hardship, after all, how long woulg it take to sail from, let's say, Samoa to the USA to serve on jury duty. Just ,ake sure you get in touch with the clerk of the court and explain...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:34   #26

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I've never had a problem getting excused from jury duty because I was out of the state in either Florida or New York when I lived in each state.

Both states have hardship clauses and if you provide proof that you are out of the country (or even state) they will excuse you.

A few years back I was excused in Florida and they asked me to let them know the next time I was going to be in the area for an extended period of time so they could put me on the roll.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:41   #27

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I've never been a law enforcement officer. Nevertheless, when questioned during jury selection, I say I've developed and presented complaints to Assistant U.S. Attorneys, and that I've also worked with federal criminal investigators. As a result, defending attorneys always want me off the jury panel.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:46   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i went cruising in gulf for almost a ful lyear' during that time i received 2 jury duty notices. i did the phone call and arranged for extension of duty-- told them when i would be back--as an rn, and disabled, they didnt have any use for me-- attitude problem..LOL--i love getting classified in htat folder-LOL....

the cops in my ER aLWAYS brought teh best donuts-- the firefighters brought the best coffee---gotta love it--

has the policemans bagel craze hit other than lost angels yet-- they switched to bagels for a bit--yukk-- they were good, but they didnt hit that chocolate cruller craving..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 21:18   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I have only been summoned for jury duty twice in my life, once when I lived in New Jersey and again when I was back visiting in NJ 8 years (and just as many states) later , the day after I arrived for a 1 month visit I got a jury notice in the mail.
If you get a jury notice and send it back to them, postmarked from another country explaining you are out of the country...what would/could they do. I get my mail forwarded by the mail box service I use when I am traveling.
Old 08-01-2011, 13:22   #30
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
The problem with getting out of jury duty by saying you don't live there any more is that you may need that address to get a driver's license or vote. HelloSailor is right about jury duty in New York City. I have a relative there who is always excused but who has to show up in person first. These days computers make it tougher for cruisers who use multiple addresses to get the best deals of taxes here, licensing there, voting in two or three places and paying health insurance out of yet another place to save money. Fib at your own risk.