Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2011, 18:30   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
The problem with getting out of jury duty by saying you don't live there any more is that you may need that address to get a driver's license or vote. HelloSailor is right about jury duty in New York City. I have a relative there who is always excused but who has to show up in person first. These days computers make it tougher for cruisers who use multiple addresses to get the best deals of taxes here, licensing there, voting in two or three places and paying health insurance out of yet another place to save money. Fib at your own risk.
when cruising, one is able to get out if jury duty for a little while--until you are in your home area and check in-- but you have to call and splain to them what is the situation.
no one said anything about telling hte powers that be that you are not living ther e anymore--all they have to do is check and see what you are scamming them with. is impractical to tell lies to gummint-- they GET ye.LOL..epecially if you are paying property taxes.
but if ye tell them the truth and stick by it, you can , in some places, not have to curtail trip. same with death in family. y0u make arrangements to deal with it when ye get back. that is usually enough when you are out of country.
if you want to be excused from jury duty, you MUST appear in court.

janet--your words are great for those with homes and land ties. i donot know many of those. the cruisers who9 donot deal with land ties--houses and such-- deal with things differently.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:49   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"but you have to call and splain to them what is the situation. "
Ah, Zeehag, you just don't get it. Most folks apparently just don't get it.

THE REGULATIONS FOR JURY DUTY CAN DIFFER IN EVERY COUNTY IN THE UNITED STATES. Not just different in each state, but different in almost every county and sometimes even on a smaller level.

You can't "call them" because "them" refers to ten thousand different court clerks, ten thousand different jurisdictions, and if you are lucky enough to be called by one that actually allows you to call back and answers the phone--as opposed to requiring you to reply in writing or respond in person--then you are lucky. That's all.

If you don't actually live someplace, and you don't know the local laws, make blind assumptions about them at your own risk. Since many (if not all) states now use the motor vehicle registration lists and property tax lists as sources of names for residents suitable for jury duty, once you get ON A LIST, you're stuck.

As has been pointed out, if you ignore a jury summons a bench warrant typically is automatically issued. Return to that state and get t-boned at a red light...and guess what? That warrant comes back to bite you. "Tell it to the judge".

Maybe instead of worrying about sales tax and personal property tax, we should start a new thread about "What states and counties allow cruisers to stay abroad without hassles?"

Old 08-01-2011, 19:10   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"but you have to call and splain to them what is the situation. "
Ah, Zeehag, you just don't get it. Most folks apparently just don't get it.

THE REGULATIONS FOR JURY DUTY CAN DIFFER IN EVERY COUNTY IN THE UNITED STATES. Not just different in each state, but different in almost every county and sometimes even on a smaller level.

You can't "call them" because "them" refers to ten thousand different court clerks, ten thousand different jurisdictions, and if you are lucky enough to be called by one that actually allows you to call back and answers the phone--as opposed to requiring you to reply in writing or respond in person--then you are lucky. That's all.

If you don't actually live someplace, and you don't know the local laws, make blind assumptions about them at your own risk. Since many (if not all) states now use the motor vehicle registration lists and property tax lists as sources of names for residents suitable for jury duty, once you get ON A LIST, you're stuck.

As has been pointed out, if you ignore a jury summons a bench warrant typically is automatically issued. Return to that state and get t-boned at a red light...and guess what? That warrant comes back to bite you. "Tell it to the judge".

Maybe instead of worrying about sales tax and personal property tax, we should start a new thread about "What states and counties allow cruisers to stay abroad without hassles?"
. if summons is not answered immediately, -- splaining can be a lot harder. yes i have lived in many places in th is usa including NYstate and other places. what are they gonna do when you say you are at sea--send uscg to grab you and bring ye in?? highly doubtful. if you have one not answered, as did i-- when i got back from my yr in gulf, i made a simple fone call. splain situation and report on day they order. piece of cake.
if the state or county doesnot ALLOW (bad word , that, as we have a constitutional right to our travelling--so far---then there is a definite problem with your constitutional rights. yes we still have some.) then see a lawyer for your own protection.
YOU ARE ONLY STUCK IF YOU FAIL TO GO TO OR CALL RE: THE JURY DUTY. ONCE YE GET BACK FROM TRIP--GO TO OR CALL THE COURT. YOU WILL FIND THEY ARE VERY AMENABLE TO CHANGING YOUR DATES. donot allow yourself the sin of waiting--it doesnt work--yes you will get arrested and suffer consequences. sorry--it really does no t matter which county you reside in--is same all over-- we are covered by us constitution for travelling.
Old 08-01-2011, 20:17   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, there's policy and there's policy. And it chnages year after year. Fifteen year ago there were a list of exemptions, you could fill one out and deal with it by mail. ten years ago, there were no exemptions, you had to appear--not explain--and the clerk would shuffle your name around,make you waste a day in the jury pool room, and then dimiss you. Five year ago...no more shuffling, you come and return until you've been accepted or rejected by the court and been replaced by the next days inductees.

Constitutional rights? Don't make me laugh. I have the right to freely travel and not to be searched without want or warrant. Tell that to the TSA. Jury duty, like draft service, is considered mandated and right or wrong, if you don't appear the bench warrant will be issued. When you return, you might be able to clear that up with a phone call. Might. Of course they'll probably ask you to see the judge, pay the fine, and then they'll dismiss the warrant.

Things have only gone downhill since the 70's, when some nice Harvard project showed people on the street a copy of the US Constitution. And most confused it with the Communist Manifesto.

The American Experiment has been unique in that is has always had the right to take up arms against government in order to change it, but has never needed to exert that right. Some of the founding fathers thought the only thing uglier than the thought of throwing down the government by arms for a second time, would be the need to do so without the ability to. They were quite candid about why they retained a militia right to the people.

Rights? Give me back the right to be seure against search and seizure, and then I'll believe I might have any other rights left. Give me the right to be paid a living wage while serving on a jury, and then I'll believe the jury process is going to respect any of my rights.

But bench warrants don't always get deleted the way they're supposed to be, and sometimes, they manage to ghost in the system for years, and then come back to bite you. If you ever have one dismissed, you need to carry the copy of the dismissal on your person for the rest of your life, or until you can actually verify that it ha been purged from *all* the places it gets cross-posted to.

Good luck with that. You obviously have more faith in "Hi we're from the government and we're here to help you" than I do. (We may have the best system on the planet, but it i still horribly flawed and way too young to be mistaken for successful.)
Old 08-01-2011, 20:29   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I've been called several times.
Mainly the need to close my business for the trial, thus a financial hardship.

I also told them if it was a trial for a child molester, I'd vote to have certain personal items of the defendant surgically removed, tattoo their foreheads with some information, and other stuff like that if you get my drift).

Their response each time? "You're excused !"
Old 08-01-2011, 21:46   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, let's try this one more time: This thread is about what those who were actually cruising did when a jury summons arrived at the home address while they were a long way from home, cruising. It isn't about the erosion of constitutional rights or how you can b.s. the court.

It may be that there is only a very small pool of members who can answer her question because so few members have had the experience of learning that a jury summons had arrived at their home address while they were cruising and either could not, or chose not to, respond to the summons in the allotted time.

Please stick to the topic. If you haven't experienced the above scenario, please do not hijack the thread by sharing your off-topic "wisdom."

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 08-01-2011, 22:39   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i was in the gulf two times summonses came to my mail while i was gone. i went to my own home and called in. I told them i was in middle of a trip and was home only for a short time- we set it up for "sometime in july" and i was to call on my return for confirmation then they would send another summons. after i got back, early, in may, 2010, i callled in, went in, and was subsequently excused from any further jury duty.
now i am on a list of excused folks.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:53   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day again,

As I said above, we've never been called during the 24 years we've been cruising and don't know why. But I wonder if it would help folks before setting out to call in at their local office that handles jury duty calls and explain that you were going to be not only out of the country but out of contact for x amount of time. Might not always work, but couldn't hurt... or could it?

Just a thought...
Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 21:11   #39

I received a letter in the mail last year, asking if i was available for jury duty. I filled out the questionnaire and explained that i am gone for over 300 days a year and it would be hard for me to do jury duty. I never heard back from them.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:49   #40
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've never been called, but I do know that several folks who use St Brendan's Isle as a mail forwarding service, and who've established domicile in Clay County, Florida, based on their SBI address have stated that they were excused when called after explaining that they were on a long-term cruise out of the country.

There are several advantages to using SBI and being a Florida resident when you're living outside the U.S.
Old 19-01-2011, 12:05   #41

Boat: Maxum 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Good question. If you maintain an address you need to find out how YOUR district polls for jurers. Do they use voter registration or drivers licenses??? Since I have heard of minors getting a summons, some places may use mail lists or other info. Informing your city/county etc. that you have left the country should be sufficient. to prevent having to deal with it you may want to maintain an address in a state that uses voter registration, .... then don't register to vote.
I still stand by my original post. Find out how YOUR district chooses jurers. Then contact YOUR clerk of court and inform them, and ask for instructions. If you live in one of those districts that are unreasonable for excusal, then register in one more reasonable. That is about your only workable solution. As was pointed out the penalties for not complying can be unpleasant at best. The clerk of court will have the answers.
Old 21-01-2011, 14:22   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
In all the time I've been writing columns and books for people who live full-time on the go, I have heard from only one person who has no address and even he has to use a friend's address to get his annual VFW membership card. Many liveaboards have no houses or so much as a storage locker ashore, and they do all banking and bill paying online, yet they must have a legal address to get a passport, mail or a driver's license, a license or sticker for the boat, vote, enroll children in school, open a bank account and pay federal taxes. If you have health or boat insurance, rates are based on your physical address and, if you lie about that, your coverage is voided. If there are liveaboards out there who have no papers, policies nor government-issued ID whatsoever, please share with the rest of us how you manage within the U.S and when clearing in and out of other nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

janet--your words are great for those with homes and land ties. i donot know many of those. the cruisers who9 donot deal with land ties--houses and such-- deal with things differently.
Old 21-01-2011, 14:37   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

aslong as the cruiser maintains an address within the ability of usps to deliver a letter, boat can be documented in usa. same with many methods or receiving paychecks. there are many expats on us ssdi , ssi, veterans affairs, retirement programs and health programs requiring maintenance of an address to which usps is able to deliver letters. does not have to be your physical address. some even got to their destinations by automobile, instead 0f boat-- this has been a work in progress for many over decades of research.
Old 22-01-2011, 02:37   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I have used the Saint Brendans Isle residence for the last ten years, but was also living aboard and a resident of Clay County (same as SBI) twenty years prior. I had been called for jury duty while present in the county and served. I have, more recently, been summoned for jury duty while cruising in Maine. I normally only request my mail from SBI once a month and had received the jury summons well after my term to respond. I mailed an explanation of my cruising back to the court and was excused. It's likely that Clay County, with so many cruisers registered at SBI, is more likely to understand the absence of cruisers from participation.
Old 22-01-2011, 06:48   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
aslong as the cruiser maintains an address within the ability of usps to deliver a letter, boat can be documented in usa. same with many methods or receiving paychecks. there are many expats on us ssdi , ssi, veterans affairs, retirement programs and health programs requiring maintenance of an address to which usps is able to deliver letters. does not have to be your physical address. some even got to their destinations by automobile, instead 0f boat-- this has been a work in progress for many over decades of research.
Sounds good. Specifics welcome. Please let us know which states will issue driver's licenses to a PO Box without stating a street address. Please name some major banks and brokerages that will open an account without requiring a physical address for their records. Many cruisers would love to know how to have a SSI check go into a bank account that can be opened without providing a physical address. Which passport offices don't require a street address from applicants? Which credit cards can I get without providing a street address? This isn't to say that one has to have a house ashore. It's about selecting a physical address ( a relative, a marina, one's lawyer, a mail forwarding service) that meets today's security requirements. Thanks for sharing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: