Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 14:25   #1

Folding Bike Which Type?

We are gathering the items in preparation for a rather long cruise with my wife. We are wondering what others have experienced in the way of pro and con's of folding bikes... or please share what you find to be the better brand/model. This type of bike is rather expensive but if it is worth it, ok...The newest thing I see in this category of bicycles is folding electric bicycles... My thinking is that it should be constructed of aluminum as much as possible to not rust rather it would oxidize... hard non-inflatable tires etc...

Please share your experience with us...
Thank you

Mr. Knockdown
wmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 14:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: folding bike which type?

There are many choices, just like in regular bikes, so it really all depends on how you ride.

If you're going to putter around at low speed and short distances, then the low end Dahons or Sea Sure will be fine.

If you want to stretch your legs, you'll need something better. I bought a Dahon Jetstream EX and was completely amazed at the performance -- like a really good road bike from the days when I spent a lot of time on bicycles (won't mention how many decades ago that was . . .). My first day on it I knocked back 50 miles around the Isle of Wight without really breaking a sweat. A great thing to have on a boat -- a kind of long range land tender.

In short, these days you can get more or less anything you want in a folding bicycle. Make your choice and pay your money.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 14:52   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

When we first started cruising we carried a couple of Dahons. Not the ten speed but the three speed Sturmey Archer gears type. These are very nice little bikes without the clutter of derailleur gears. After the first few trips we finally left them at home. It all depends where you cruise. We found them useful on the US East Coast but useless in the Bahamas. Now we have a more or less set pattern and know which stops have the closest stores, laundry, propane etc. we no longer use them. They're in my basement at home. Again it depends a lot on where you intend cruising. Two bikes takes a fair amount of storage.
Old 04-02-2013, 14:53   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We have been happy with our Dahon Mariners. We stow ours up on deck inside some bags and have noticed rusting on the break and gear cables along with the gear spindles.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 15:01   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Frankly the Dahon Mariners are not worth the premium you have to pay for them. The regular painted ones stand up just as well with an oil wipe now and then. I have no interest now in Dahons but used to sell them 25 years ago as a hobby business.
Old 04-02-2013, 15:11   #6
cruiser

Forget the folding bikes. We just use our full size carbon road bikes and two mountain bikes which we cover up and secure on deck. Much more comfortable to ride, safer, no rust issues. If we need to stow them, the road bikes come apart easily in two minutes and are stored in nylon bike bags. Spare parts can be purchased anywhere.

Another fellow we know just buys a used rental bike in each port for short money, then sells it for what he paid prior to leaving.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 15:35   #7

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

This is my folding bike. I bought it off Craigslist for a 100 bucks, and it was money well spent. Its a 3 speed, with a shaft drive, no chain to rust. You can find a deal, if ya look. It stows nicely in my port quarterberth. I have used the tar out of it. Its a great bike. Its a Aitelen. This is my grocery rig in photo. The dolly I got from home depot for 30 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00247.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	54044  
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:05   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Try looking at Camping World dot com, they have some real good prices on folding bikes in many gear amounts, if ya sign up they send ya sale stuff for free, lots of the stuff they sell is useable on boats ! I don't have a thing to do with then other then a satisfied customer
Old 04-02-2013, 16:10   #9

I have a Citizen folding bike. Seems to be decent and cost way less than a Dahon. Came with a nice storage bag too.

http://www.citizenbike.com/
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:22   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We have two folders thevred ones west sells for 300. We found on craigs for less than half off. We love them !! For the keys they were great when in a marina. We left them on the bow chained up when itbwas calm out and in one of the berths when nasty. These are 6 speed i think. Goi.g to bahamas for 3 weeks well bring dive gear instead. Get covers for yours to never seen em w hard tires.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:26   #11

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Try looking at Camping World dot com, they have some real good prices on folding bikes in many gear amounts, if ya sign up they send ya sale stuff for free, lots of the stuff they sell is useable on boats ! I don't have a thing to do with then other then a satisfied customer
They call them the "adventurer", I have one aboard now. Great bike, very happy with it.

I bought mine used from Craigslist.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:27   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Adding a boat description and home port is essential for posters that want meaningful answers. It really helps. We don't know if your boat is 20 or 60 feet , nor whether you are cruising the islands or the inner passage.

-----

First, many say they never use a bike. I think it depends on where you are going and whether you cycle now. If you do not cycle, at least on vacation, you probably won't use them on cruise. I am a cyclist both at home and while cruising.

Second, there is also the option of a standard bike. I carry up to 3 non-folding road bikes on a bike rack. They are lighter, ride better and faster, and do not require unfolding. They take little more room than folding bikes, just a different shape. I was given a folding bike as a gift and returned it
Old 04-02-2013, 16:41   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

check out the montague full size folding bikes if you are interested in actual bicycle riding
Old 04-02-2013, 18:10   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We hate folding bikes, we never found one that was comfortable. We tried regular bikes and found they rusted quickly and were heavy.

We finally settled on Trek Districts, Carbon fiber forks, Aluminum frame and belt drives... nothing to rust and so light my wife can pick up both shoulder high at the same time. Wish we'd bought them years ago.
Old 04-02-2013, 22:02   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Strida...Folds out in 10 seconds and folds up in 5 seconds...Bought mine used (little) for $200. New, they are a fortune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash.png
Views:	784
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	54058  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote