Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 19:15   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: folding bike which type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Forget the folding bikes. We just use our full size carbon road bikes and two mountain bikes which we cover up and secure on deck. Much more comfortable to ride, safer, no rust issues. If we need to stow them, the road bikes come apart easily in two minutes and are stored in nylon bike bags. Spare parts can be purchased anywhere.

Another fellow we know just buys a used rental bike in each port for short money, then sells it for what he paid prior to leaving.
I agree: Find two mountain bikes at yard sales. Maybe less than 20 bucks. If you want to improve, add drop-out skewers or wing nuts and look on EBAY for bags. You can also make the handle bars quick release with stuff from a bike shop. You won't feel nearly as bad when they get stolen.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 21:52   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Folding Bike Which Type?

Have a Bike Friday New World Tourist that has been a faithful friend on the boat as well-as at home. Bike rides like a full size bike and find myself hopping on it rather than one of my big kid bikes because it fits so well. When I had my boat in Alameda, it was my only mode of transportation. Packed it up in its suitcase for the sail to Hilo., then rode it all over Hilo Town the two weeks The boat was there.

Planning on going to the Oakland in the water boat show in April. Will pack up the bike in its case and send it along as luggage. When I arrive at OAK, will unpack the bike and convert the suitcase into a trailer and ride to Alameda and a friends boat that I'll be staying on. No taxi or rental car needed as I'll ride the bike with its trailer to and from the airport and to and from the boatshow.

Bike Fridays are serious bikes and not cheap. If you like to ride and will be going places that you might need to cover more distance than a casual stroll along the beach, they are invaluable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 23:52   #33

I'm curious if anyone has tried a Yike Bike aboard? It's not cheap, however it's:
  • electric
  • carbon fiber
  • 11.5kg's
  • ultra-portable
YikeBike - The world's first super light folding electric bike. | Urban Freedom

Seems like a good match to me - anyone actually see/use one?
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:35   #34

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

One thing you really need to consider, and being in Key West has made me somewhat jaded, is how expensive, desired, these bikes will be, that might increase the theft ratio. Really nice bike get stolen, while ratty cheap ones may be possibly looked over. My philosphy is buy cheap, so your loss is kept at a minimum.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: folding bike which type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You might consider this for your list:

Dahon Jetstream EX High Performance Folding Bike

The full suspension makes a dramatic difference in ride and handling of small wheel bikes. Some people (see Alex Moulton) think small wheels plus suspension are the thing even for non-folding bikes.

Contrarian comment:

My front suspension model indeed suggests riding a full suspension bike would be more comfortable... but I would be unwilling to sacrifice the rigid luggage rack. I usually tie on a small crate so I can carry most stuff, including reasonably heavy weight (e.g., a 16-lb bag of ice, case of beverage, etc.) as long as I can balance it along the centerline.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

I used to be a serious cyclist, my wife wasn't... we found that on land, when we cycled together, it wasn't enjoyable for either one of us - I was always hanging about waiting for her, she was always pedaling like crazy, trying to keep up.

We solved the problem by riding a tandem - we're both together, each can work at their own pace and we've had a marvelous time with it.

Moving on to the boat, we decided to go the same route and purchased a Tandem Toosday from Bike Friday. This is NOT a cheap bike - but it rides almost like a real tandem albeit on diminutive 20" wheels. It has a full complement of 27 gears and braking is good.

We can pack and un-pack it in under 10 minutes, it folds down to a very manageable size - if a little awkward - and is relatively light, carried by one person. It fits easily into the quarterberth or into our workshop area when we have guests. Normally when in any place for a longer period, we'll leave it assembled and either tied to the lifelines, or locked on land.

Bike Friday also produce a take-apart tandem - which we initially bought - but then swapped it for the current bike. The take apart version surely packs into a much smaller space - but it takes over 30 minutes to assemble.

We've taken the tandem on a 10 day camping holiday around France - carrying all our stuff (kitchen sink too) on the bike - it handled it very well (we didn't so much!)...

Bike Fridays are not cheap - but we don't regret the purchase one bit...
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:40   #37

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

Bike friday folding bikes are my true love. We have 2... Pocket llama and pocket expedition. We use these bikes to run errands in port and to seriously tour inland for weeks or months at a time. Gravel and dirt roads dont faze them. Offroad riding is very do-able. Our boat is a small catamaran making fullsize bikes impossible. I take my bike with me on the plane when i fly to visit america. It fits in a standard airline suitcase.
These are priced $1000 to $2000 high end components and custom built. Only for a serious cyclist but the bike friday ticket may be better for just getting around town.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:55   #38

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot

The Dutch "stealing a bike code" says you steel as old a bike as possible depending how it is locked. Standard locking includes locking the rearwheel to the bike and fixing the bike to a lamppost or something.
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:16   #39

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

How about one of these.

Just purchased one a few weeks ago. Its just a thrill to glide around on one.

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:21   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
I used to be a serious cyclist, my wife wasn't... we found that on land, when we cycled together, it wasn't enjoyable for either one of us - I was always hanging about waiting for her, she was always pedaling like crazy, trying to keep up. We solved the problem by riding a tandem - we're both together, each can work at their own pace and we've had a marvelous time with it. Moving on to the boat, we decided to go the same route and purchased a Tandem Toosday from Bike Friday. This is NOT a cheap bike - but it rides almost like a real tandem albeit on diminutive 20" wheels. It has a full complement of 27 gears and braking is good. We can pack and un-pack it in under 10 minutes, it folds down to a very manageable size - if a little awkward - and is relatively light, carried by one person. It fits easily into the quarterberth or into our workshop area when we have guests. Normally when in any place for a longer period, we'll leave it assembled and either tied to the lifelines, or locked on land. Bike Friday also produce a take-apart tandem - which we initially bought - but then swapped it for the current bike. The take apart version surely packs into a much smaller space - but it takes over 30 minutes to assemble. We've taken the tandem on a 10 day camping holiday around France - carrying all our stuff (kitchen sink too) on the bike - it handled it very well (we didn't so much!)... Bike Fridays are not cheap - but we don't regret the purchase one bit...

I tried the same thing with my wife, anybody have a need for a really excellent Rans Screamer?
For those that want a bike friday, they do occasionally sell used bike that they take on trade in. A bike friday is a real bike, just happens to fold is all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:32   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I saw a new plan this summer! I met cruiser in the Chesapeake that was greasing the moving parts on a old junker bike that he had chained to a fence. As we talked, I learned that he was leaving for points south and he did not expect to see this bicycle for the next ten months. He was on a boat too small for storing bicycles and he kept seven cheap bikes at different ports along his cruising route. All of his bicycles are kept chained to fences or posts along his frequent port-o-calls and each bicycle os a functioning minimal carcass of a bike!
Old 02-12-2013, 16:11   #42

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

We have the Herkules E-Versa Street electric folding bicycle. All major parts are aluminum and the battery is hidden inside the frame. No cheap, but when it is hot or hills are on your way, we really appreciate the extra push from the electric motor.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:05   #43

Boat: 55' Romsdal

We like our Montague folding bikes very much if you have the room for them. They are full size, you can ride them as a true mountain bike and you don't look like you should be wearing large rubber clown shoes like you do when riding one of the ones with small wheels.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03   #44

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I saw a new plan this summer! I met cruiser in the Chesapeake that was greasing the moving parts on a old junker bike that he had chained to a fence. As we talked, I learned that he was leaving for points south and he did not expect to see this bicycle for the next ten months. He was on a boat too small for storing bicycles and he kept seven cheap bikes at different ports along his cruising route. All of his bicycles are kept chained to fences or posts along his frequent port-o-calls and each bicycle os a functioning minimal carcass of a bike!

This is more or less our plan, except I can likely find ANY mountain-type bike or bikes any place we go, and perhaps only bring a pannier system and a seat and lights/lock as needed.

I explain our ideas here:
The world encompassed: Two wheels good: To bring or borrow a boat bike
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07   #45

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

The reality of folding bikes...

If you are cruising do you really need them? Probably not. Most destinations are an island and all the amenities are close to the docks.

Do they fold up really small? No. Two folding bikes still take up a 30" cube almost a full cubic yard. Hint Dahon makes a body bag that lets you not fold but compact the bikes to a often better 24 by 60+-. A full size bike with the wheels removed isn't that much larger and you could store it in several locations.

Are they affordable? Not compared to the second hand full size disposable when you move on bike. You could even go through 3-4 Walmart $80 disposables instead of ending up with a cheap rusty folding bike.

Are they more secure at the bike rack? No, the used ugly bike you paid 20 bucks for is. Do you feel secure leaving them out at the rack or do you take them for a ride in the morning and a ride back at night?

Do I own folding bikes? Yes. Why? I got them for $20 for the pair when I thought I wanted folding bikes. Would I now pay retail for folding bikes? No! You can get a used Kestrel Talon carbon fiber bike for less than $500. you can get a good used mountain bike for way less than that.

Put the bikes below on passages and on the rail or mast base at anchor. That is if you really must get bikes.

Bikes are great for living at the dock, Bikes are a pain in the arse for living on the hook. Bikes are a waste of resources while cruising. Just rent two bikes on the one or two islands you will, maybe, possibly, want a bike.

W