Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2009, 11:26   #1

Florida Liveaboard Rules Take Effect October 1, 2009

Found this article this morning on the new florida law about live aboard in florida and anchoring. Its a great day for liveaboarder's !!!! I printed the first paragraph and the rest at link.
If this has already been posted sorry, but was excited when read it.

ALEXANDRIA, Va., July 30, 2009 - With the May 27th passage of Florida House Bill 1423, boaters across the state will no longer have to fear a visit from a law enforcement officer advising that their boat has "overstayed" its visit. That's because the recent legislation makes it clear that local municipalities cannot usurp state authority on regulating recreational vessel anchoring. But what's not so clear is who understands the changes, some of which came into effect on July 1 and others are due to take effect October 1, 2009.

The Triton - News for the megayacht and superyacht industry - Press Release: "Anchoring Information for Florida Cruisers" Available at BoatUS.com
newcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 12:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for the reminder, and yes, HB 1423 has previously been discussed, in several threads:
Florida House Bill 1423 - Google Search

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Anchoring Information for Florida Cruisers
BoatUS (October 1, 2009)
Goto ➥ http://www.boatus.com/gov/GA005FLAnchoring.pdf

See also Chapter 2009-86, law of Florida (house bill 1423) as signed into law and filed with the Florida Department of State on May 27, 2009.
Goto ➥ http://laws.flrules.org/files/Ch_2009-086.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 16:23   #4

Got kicked out of Sanibel Island last week pulled in around Sunday at 1 am 9 am comes; I've been asleep for about 4 hours as I live on the other side of the state and am slowly moving the boat around. An officer for the Sanibel police department tells me I have 48 hours to move the boat. Well Tuesday morning comes and sure enough hes calling me at 10 to talk about the boat. Well after I moved the boat to Ft Myers I found out they cant tell me this anymore. O well Ft Myers is much more friendly anyways
pacmaann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 04:32   #5

OK, so if someone was to somehow acquire a sailboat of around 30 feet, and then register it with the coast guard, and this person wanted to say anchor down around say Corpus Christi, Tx. during the winter and maybe work a month or so, how long might they be allowed to anchor there?. Then in the spring they wanted to head up toward, say the Chesapeake, how long might they be allowed to anchor there? exploring/gunkholing along the way, and perhaps working for a month or so.
I wonder, what would best for this person? Should they maybe get a mailbox at one of those places like mailboxes etc. Or might it be necessary for them to have a residence somewhere? If asked should they claim to be cruising, or living aboard? If mail service is OK should it be a new local one upon arrival somewhere? Or keep one fixed box? I wonder if there are any books this person might find that cover this particular situation? ????
weedeater64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 07:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
[QUOTE=weedeater64;350938].... register it with the coast guard..... how long might they be allowed to anchor there?.....Chesapeake, how long ..... Should they maybe get a mailbox .....necessary for them to have a residence somewhere? ....... claim to be cruising, or living aboard?QUOTE]

You may elect to "document" your vessel with the Coast Guard, but you will need to comply with the registration requirements for your state. As long as you are not anchoring in restricted areas (channels, cable areas, military/gov. restricted) you should not be subject to limitations. We've been liveaboard cruising since 1972 and mostly anchoring out since 2002. We keep a legal residence mainained with St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs Florida. This address is on our driver licenses, passports, voter's regis.,etc. I would share this address with any inquiring authority, but I am not subject to questions from authorities about how much time I spend on my boat. During the 38 years that we have been anchoring on the US East Coast, for periods as long as three months at one location, I have never been approached by any authorities with questions about my anchoring location or length of stay. I also maintain my vessel as a functioning cruising vessel and not a platform that appears to be a means for low income housing. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 07:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmaann2
Well after I moved the boat to Ft Myers I found out they cant tell me this anymore.
I would report it to the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, as this sort of anchoring issue is now within their jurisdiction to enforce.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 07:21   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
[QUOTE=CaptForce;350993][QUOTE=weedeater64;350938
, I have never been approached by any authorities with questions about my anchoring location or length of stay. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew[/QUOTE]

It must be that Morgans and thier occupants are not deemed a threat of any kind.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 07:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
It must be that Morgans and thier occupants are not deemed a threat of any kind.
I would think that the efforts to ban anchoring are driven by power and wealth that wish the "elite" to have exclusive rights. With this thought an inexpensive production boat like my Morgan OI would be a prime threat. I must not understand the intent of your post. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 31-10-2009, 13:28   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I would think that the efforts to ban anchoring are driven by power and wealth that wish the "elite" to have exclusive rights. With this thought an inexpensive production boat like my Morgan OI would be a prime threat. I must not understand the intent of your post. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
A poor attemt at humor.

I agree with the "elite" statement.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 15:59   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You have 90 days per calendar year on the Chesterpeake
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You have 90 days per calendar year on the Chesterpeake
...90 days for what? Anchoring? Maryland's Chesapeake? Virginia too? Who's taking names and counting?
Old 18-01-2010, 15:55   #13

I've been sailing and cruising the chesapeake for years and have never heard of ninty day limitations. Tho I've never spent that long in one spot either.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 16:51   #14

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
327.02 Definitions of terms used in this chapter and in chapter 328.—As
used in this chapter and in chapter 328, unless the context clearly requires
a different meaning, the term:
(17) “Live-aboard vessel” means:
(a) Any vessel used solely as a residence and not for navigation; or

So When In Florida you Are A Cruiser And Not A Live-Aboard when ever at anchor.
Got It.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:30   #15

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Question here...

Does any of this change if you're NOT a resident of the state of Florida?

For instance, I'm a resident of Colorado, but I want to travel the coast for a few months and intend to stay anchored several weeks in one place before moving on to the next - that is spending some money on local touristy things.

Does it matter about where you're from at all?

(We're in the midst of a vaguely similar thing here in Colorado, where they are trying to force "transient campers" from staying at rest areas at night as they are passing through, or stopping and overnighting in parks in RVs... )

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard