Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Florida Fears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Don't know what hassle in the Keys. You can't get much more laid back than down there. Don't think you can find a cheaper marina than Boot Key. Last I checked $270 per month which incldes dinghy dock, showers, parking, garbage and pump out service at your mooring.

Never have had any problem anchoring anywhere down there, just waych out for coral, big no no...

Wow, $270 a month! Thats really good, I am guessing that is only for long term contracts, or can you just book in for one month?? Any ideas what Marinas charge for short term stays in the Keys, i.e a week? My research keeps showing $3-4 per foot per day, if you have a 40ft boat thats at least $120 per day!! Also, having NEVER sailed there was wondering about draft problems, would a 2 metre Draft restrict you in many areas? Thanks!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:39   #17

Boat: Leopard L38

Quote:
You do need to remember one very important thing. Some people are unhappy no matter where they are...
EXACTLY!!! Misery loves company, and I for one chose not to join them!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:46   #18

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Wow, $270 a month! Thats really good, I am guessing that is only for long term contracts, or can you just book in for one month?? Any ideas what Marinas charge for short term stays in the Keys, i.e a week? My research keeps showing $3-4 per foot per day, if you have a 40ft boat thats at least $120 per day!! Also, having NEVER sailed there was wondering about draft problems, would a 2 metre Draft restrict you in many areas? Thanks!
I believe this is referring to the mooring field at Boot Key Harbor.

The City of Marathon FL - Official Website - Mooring Field

And yes, slips at Key West range from $2.75/ft/night to ~$4.00 - expensive!

Key West mooring field is $305/month

Key West Florida ~ Mooring Field
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:57   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I believe this is referring to the mooring field at Boot Key Harbor.

The City of Marathon FL - Official Website - Mooring Field

And yes, slips at Key West range from $2.75/ft/night to ~$4.00 - expensive!

Key West mooring field is $305/month

Key West Florida ~ Mooring Field
Thanks very much for the info, $17 per day in Key West (have not checked how far it is fom Duval street yet) and the Marathon rates even better, has anyone used these facilities? Would you pick them over just dropping Anchor somewhere? I wonder how full they get, it says 1st come 1st serve!! Any Negatives?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:44   #20

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Thanks very much for the info, $17 per day in Key West (have not checked how far it is fom Duval street yet) and the Marathon rates even better, has anyone used these facilities? Would you pick them over just dropping Anchor somewhere? I wonder how full they get, it says 1st come 1st serve!! Any Negatives?
My preference, if in Marathon, take a mooring ball, in Key West I'll check for room to anchor first and the mooring field second.

Marathon - Boot Key Harbor is a great spot, but not near as much to do in Marathon as there is in Key West. Some prefer Marathon to stay away from the tourists/cruise ships. In season, I've seen 30 day waits to get a mooring.

Key West Mooring field is not as well protected, winds with a north component will provide a good chop in the mooring field. That equates to a wet dinghy ride. You can catch public transportation from the free dinghy dock or the closest dingy dock to Duval St. will cost you $6/day or $80/month at the KW Bight Marina (also owned by the city). There are more protected places around KW to drop the anchor, but they get pretty full in season as well. It's very unusual that the mooring field is full, last time there (a couple years ago) they stated they've never turned anyone away. Also, last time there, KW had removed the pendants from the moorings, said people were stealing them. Makes it a pain to get hooked up, but a minor hassle.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:48   #21

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

The Boot Key mooring is as well weather protected as you can get in the Keys. No long term contracts, just daily, weekly and monthly rates...
You can check their web cam to see how full it is before arrival or call them to check, no reservations. It's downtown close to everything. On top of it all, there's a shuttle bus that runs up and down the Keys all day long.
Negatives...I'm in Texas right now refitting mt boat instead of down there....
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:49   #22

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

The Keys are a great place to live and sail. Anything over 4 1/2 ft draft will be limiting though not prohibiting. Key West anchorages are not well protected but friends seem satisfied. The City anchorage dingy dock is about a 30 min walk, 10 min bike ride or $20 cab ride to Duval St. Boot Key Harbor is a better choice in my mind and a 1 hr bus ride to Key West. My 31 is $92 to stay at the City Marina, just a short stoll to Schooner Warf Bar,"The last little piece of Old Key West." If you make it to Cudjoe Bay sing out, 4 1/2 ft limiting draft. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
The Boot Key mooring ...
You can check their web cam to see how full it is before arrival or call them to check, no reservations....
I'd call. The webcam isn't really informative.
The City of Marathon FL - Official Website - Live Webcam & Photo Gallery

http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=26

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i donot understand FEAR of fla-- there are so many places to anchor and moor and slip a boat--- isnt like sd , kali, where one MUST be on a wait list forever to not get anywhere to place a boat, even for short term....heck-there are even free anchorages in west fla... go figger....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

All you ever seem to hear is the bad stuff cruising florida is not so bad. There are plenty of place to go plenty of places to anchor... If you go into Marinas you will pay handsomely but talk to local cruisers and ya can find less expensive ones pump out and get water at... I found as long as I look like a cruiser and not a transient u are fine...

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:29   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i was there we found many places to free dock or free anchor without time limit--y6ou will also if you look hard and pay attention-listening to and reading stuff from naysayers all the time is not healthy---- keeps ye from going out and DOING it..... west fla is gorgeous and has many lil places to hide and explore. these are not publicised and are very cool places to be. have fun and just DO it.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

West coast is good east coast is a party

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48   #28
Marine Service Provider

I guess its a big step for us being so far away and having only stayed in the keys as ¨on land¨ visitors in the past! I can see us easily spending 2 months there traveling to different parts, In Marathon and Key West especialy we would like to be quite close to the town centers.......we also have friends who live in Miami but not sure how practical it would be to visit them? This is a huge learning process for us!! Ive just booked a sailing holiday around the islands of Denmark for the last week of August which should be fantastic on a Comfortina 42ft, cant wait (will try to post photos from the trip and maybe a video)!! We are looking hard at the boat market now but not rushing! One thing is for sure, we nearly have all our on land business matters ready to leave behind! We just would not be able to afford high marina fees on a regular basis so the info above is important to us as we love Florida and the people there! Thanks again, Pablo
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00   #29

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

MARATHON/BOOT KEY HARBOR MARINA

Looks like it would be feasible.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20   #30
Marine Service Provider

on the subjest of ¨Draft¨, most boats we have looked at 40-44ft have got 1.80 to 2.20 metre drafts, is this a BIG problem in Florida and the Carribean? If it is am just trying to work out what is the most common boat size you see at Anchor?

Tags
florida