Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:05   #1

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Florida Anchoring

So what's the latest on the situation down here, I keep on getting hassled by the police for anchoring out in places like Sanibel and Sarasota. They don't seem to care that the state law prohibits them from enforcing local ordinances. I talked to the Fish and Wildlife people, who actually have jurisdiction over the waterways, and they don't want to get involved.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
FL Statute Florida Statute 327 prohibits local governments from imposing such anchoring restrictions. There was much discussion of this in another thread here.

Frankly I'm surprised that you get hassled in Sannibel. Sarasota, unfortunately, has chosen to ignore the statute and considers their new mooring field the ticket that allows them to restrict anchoring in other parts of the bay. Salty Southeast Cruisers Net has the most FL-specific details, and here's a discussion of the Sarasota issue: Cruiser’s Net » Search Results » fl anchoring rules

Eventually someone will take Sarasota to court and win - just as they did in Marco Island.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
...... I keep on getting hassled by the police for anchoring out .......
Just for our information could you give us a less vague description of these encounters? Are you told to move? ...asked to move on? ...asked about your intentions? ...inspected? ...."Hassled", just doesn't tell us much.
'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:44   #4

Boat: 1990 Marine Trader Dbl Cabin 38
We live near Sanibel and anchor there all the time. Never have been approached in the 10 or 12 years we've been anchoring there. Haven't anchored in Sarasota but we're aware of the prior hassles. We frequently anchor between Venice and Sarasota, and Englewood Beach and never have a problem.
S/R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49   #5

When I use the word "hassled" I mean a nuanced vaguely threatening explanation of Sanibel anchoring ordinances. I reply with a nuanced question as to whether he is familiar with recent changes in Florida law restricting local communities from enforcing such ordinances, and back and forth it goes.
The bottom line is he can issue a citation which I must deal with by staying here forever while my very expensive lawyer sues them, and I can recover some expenses and ultimately prevail, but it just isn't worth it, and we both understand that.
He suggests I anchor at St James City some 2 miles away and has much better protection and a great restaurant and is not 200 yards from a ugly bridge, and I say thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:06   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Anchored in Lake Sylvia last couple of days. No problems so far. No problems with anchoring all the way down from Fernandina Beach. Very cold and wet today.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57   #7

Boat: seawind II Patience
On the hard here in Bradenton & no hassles but weather terrible.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:17   #8

Boat: 1990 Marine Trader Dbl Cabin 38
Our boating experience has been in Florida and we've anchored out 50-70 days a year for the past few years. We've never been approached by anyone while on the hook. We were boarded by the CG a few months ago for a routine safety check and it's the first time for us in over 10 years.

If you are interested in SW florida anchorages, here's a couple of our favorites:

Sanibel just off Tarpon Bay (good in west or SW wind), you can dinghy into Tarpon Bay; great for fishing.

St. James City (good in a North wind but not much protection from other directions - also gets wake from the channel) several good restaurants - Waterfront, Woodys, to name a few.

Merwin Key - just north off the miserable mile (ICW) near Picnic Island - 8-12 feet - good holding and protection from east, some protection from North and South. There's an eagle nest there that's fun to watch
S/R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26   #9

Sanible just off Tarpon Bay

Boats anchored out off Tarpon Bay may no longer dinghy in to the refuge landing and tie up to go shopping. We tried and were told to leave. I called the refuge office and was told that the entire bay was protected and that they didn't want motor boats in there. The only place to dinghy into Sanible is the marina at $1 / ft.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida