Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 07:46   #1

Boat: Catalina 34
Send a message via Yahoo to Capt Robert
Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

HB1051 was passed 8-days ago, but still sits on the governor's desk unsigned. Is he having 2nd thoughts? BoatUS has come out strongly against horrible, misguided legislation:

BoatUS Asks FL Governor Scott to Veto Special Anchoring Carve Out : BoatUS Press Room

Regardless of where you cruise, write to him and tell him why HB1051 is wrong!
Email the Governor

Capt Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:28   #2
cruiser

Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

After living in the keys and experiencing boat people culture, I'm in favor of the new law and look forward to it...clean up a lot of the problems with squatters actually.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
After living in the keys and experiencing boat people culture...
Boat people culture. Heh. They're too close to the water to be "unwashed masses" so a new derogative is coined.

I thought "boat people" were Cubans and Vietnamese running away to sea to avoid the oppressive hand of tyrannical government.

Hmmm...
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:00   #4

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
After living in the keys and experiencing boat people culture, I'm in favor of the new law and look forward to it...clean up a lot of the problems with squatters actually.
And you also keep a sledgehammer aboard to kill flies...

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:04   #5

Quote:
Unless I am missing something, this bill does nothing to address that at all.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:13   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
And you also keep a sledgehammer aboard to kill flies...

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
...more overly sensitive types again...hmmm...sorry I hurt your feelings agin...no not really hahaha
Old 15-03-2016, 10:18   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Unless I am missing something, this bill does nothing to address that at all.
Sure it does, keeps boat people and boat people culture offahore/from squatting near shore.

It's really about the derilict vessels and boat people mentality of "everything is supposed to be free" B.S.

Rent a slip in a real marina, rent off someone's quay/do exchange etc. Florida keys especially is littered with boat people no better than those who make camp in mangroves or live on the beach IMO.
Old 15-03-2016, 10:28   #8

Quote:
Sure it does, keeps boat people and boat people culture offahore/from squatting near shore.

It's really about the derilict vessels and boat people mentality of "everything is supposed to be free" B.S.

Rent a slip in a real marina, rent off someone's quay/do exchange etc. Florida keys especially is littered with boat people no better than those who make camp in mangroves or live on the beach IMO.
Maybe that is what you wish it did, but try actually reading the bill. It does not have any impact of any kind on any part of the Florida Keys.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/...2016/html/1173

The kind of bill you propose, something that provides a blanket solution to the problem of permanently anchored and derelict boats, would actually make sense. However that would require good government.

Instead this is just a law that applies to a very small and specific geographic area. It is basically a law carved out to serve just a few people in the entire state. It is pretty much a text book definition of bad government. But you get what you pay for.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:34   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Boat people culture. Heh. They're too close to the water to be "unwashed masses" so a new derogative is coined.

I thought "boat people" were Cubans and Vietnamese running away to sea to avoid the oppressive hand of tyrannical government.

Hmmm...
In Florida especially...boat people are Caucasian typically southern or Northeastern who don't have means..

Example, there is a "boat people" I was aquatanced with who was a buerocrat in N.A.S.A. And retired, sailed a Brown 37 around till he figured out he was broke? Seems he was bragging Bernie Maidoff was making him rich but in actuality took him for almost everything...his GF then took what was left and now he lives aboard a cape dory 25, off social security which he makes little of...

Continued...He used to be an anchor people in the harbor but got tired of anchorage people's loudness, low life ways and now pays a 1/3 more (now $340 a month) to be on a mooring ball Boat People and sees himself as better than the Anchorage People LOL, always complaining anchorage people & others don't pay their way, cheat the system when in fact it's him & his friends who are doing that, breaking rules or making the rules up to suit their purposes...so essentially he's running diversion for himself and fellow boat people calling attn to outsiders/others so he & his friends aren't seen in the sites of marina staff/law enforcement LOL...Florida is so corrupt and crooked...

boat people culture 101...point the finger elsewhere to make yourself look a model citizen!
Old 15-03-2016, 11:20   #10
vjm

Although I have to say I am definitely not a fan of Governor Scott, I have been VERY impressed by his responsiveness to emails. I sent one last year regarding a state vendor who should not have been a state vendor, and I got immediate action in the form of an email, a call from the company vice president saying Scott's office had contacted her regarding my email, and that company lost the state contract shortly after.

An email to Governor Scott does get heard.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:16   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
boat people culture 101...point the finger elsewhere to make yourself look a model citizen!
Sailor Jer is online now Report Post
So, I guess from this description you are a boat people. Compassionate too.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:08   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nah, it is just primary day down in Floriduh. Rick's got bigger checks to count and cash, the voting bill will have to wait until the real bribes are over with. Ergh, contributions, yeah, I meant contributions.

Or maybe he'll sign it on Friday, when the news just quietly gets buried over the weekend and no one is around to call and curse at him.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:16   #13

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'

Yeh, "Boat people" paints a mighty broad stroke. While of course there are junkies, bums, and thieves living on anchored and moored boats (some of them in total disrepair) there are also working class folks who dinghy to work every morning. Same as on land there are people who live in squalor and try for everything free and bitch and there are those who bust there ass everyday but still have little but work. I personally work for a living and am a "boat person" though at present I live at a dock (for less than a mooring in BKH) I will in the next few months be in Marathon semi permanently. But people see what they want to see, I have found so I gave up long ago on trying to argue with people that have a closed mind. "Over here in Mississippi, we are called Coast Trash by the elite...."
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:40   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have favorable beach front property... It was my fathers now it's mine. 30 years now.

We once had just the great unwashed cruisers and it was great. Clean, fewer boats because of the need to anchor, interesting people.

Then they put in moorings.

Now, we have literally hundred of people on charter boats all over the place with no real regard for the environment.

It's much much worse and loud now than it has ever been.

The people in Fort Lauderdale better be careful... They might just get a mooring field full of people that walk around naked, hang their laundry out, and gave loud ruckus parties until late. All protected by the city as a money maker.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 15:30   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We have favorable beach front property... It was my fathers now it's mine. 30 years now.

We once had just the great unwashed cruisers and it was great. Clean, fewer boats because of the need to anchor, interesting people.

Then they put in moorings.

Now, we have literally hundred of people on charter boats all over the place with no real regard for the environment.

It's much much worse and loud now than it has ever been.

The people in Fort Lauderdale better be careful... They might just get a mooring field full of people that walk around naked, hang their laundry out, and gave loud ruckus parties until late. All protected by the city as a money maker.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
Yup, City Marina Marathon in Boot key harbor takes in over $100K a month during season/when all 225 moorings are full...not supposed to use them as "wet storage" but the current director of ports/dock master let's that happen, this year they had over 50 on the wait list to get a mooring ball LOL. The corruption just begins there...funny watching seasonal cruisers bicker with local boat people about washers/dryers...dingy dock...the tiki...boat people selling their car parking sticker for city marina parking lot to people not even in the marina (boat people in anchorage going ashore elsewhere) the list goes on...too funny city marina boat people there don't even boat, they just live on boats cuz they can't afford anything else and have been there doing that way too long they don't even talk about boats, they talk about strangers making up stories and justifying bulling others like hillbillies and rednecks out in the country do...seasonal cruisers are gonna pipe up to tourist commission folks about it and next year there will be changes...I can see the director of ports leaving, he's tired of enforcing the rules clearly or as he says "I'm not a cop"

Just my experiences when one uses the cheapest methods you find yourself among those without means...trying to justify their free lunches, need for free gear or my fave on that is when boat people get something for free and sell it for profit instead of paying it forward to another needy person...karma!

Tags
anchor, florida