Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 19:22   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Some people are just miserable SOBs who truly only care about their fellow human beings if they for into their group. Once out of their acceptable group behavior one would think someone is stealing their birthday or something.
Bingo and they did steal my birthday in 1988 we were going west across the international date line we crossed at midnight the 11th and a minute later it was the 13th . But hey what ya gonna do.
Old 23-03-2016, 19:38   #107

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
On the note of people anchoring boats to take up space mentioned above & make anchoring unavailable...(sic)..., been part of that actually...
I made a mooring for my 17ft racing sailboat near friends anchored trawler (which I partied on almost nightly) to limit anchoring space around his trawler so others coming around during season wouldn't be intrusive to "his space"...He watched my racing sailboat in return. He also anchored his 14ft runabout in position which severely limited others ability to anchor near him LOL.

All these little games & life's lessons about trying to be cheap is why I'm firm believer in the rent a slip at a marina now...
Quote:
Some of these people need to learn the term "progression" and realize it's long past time in Florida...much like embracing the idea there is no more middle class in USA, there is the haves and have nots...still room for all, just not all inclusive like when there was a middle class...

time to evolve and adapt...
Okay. Think I've got it now. You had you're fun when it was a going thing and wasn't that great? But now you've changed your mind. Have-nots should just fade away and die.... preferably die somewhere else, if it isn't too much to ask. Yes Sir! Got it.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:13   #108

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

The present state of the economy has put housing out of reach for many of the working poor. The landowners that do not want to look at less than pristine boats have employees that cannot afford the rent houses that the wealthy own. They live on those boats.

Wages are back to the levels of the 70's while the the cost of living has quadrupled.

As for the active rabble rousing from the less than literate, they might be less sanctimonious if they didn't have daddy to fall back on.
Old 23-03-2016, 20:18   #109

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
His cat is on one of the finer positioned mooring balls (less dingy passerbys-breeze-nicest condos for scenery) and the condo in front his mooring ball has spotlights pointed on their docks pointed at the mooring field, he's tried feverishly to get the condo to remove them but they remain steadfast LOL
Pretty funny ongoing battle/drama ...
What? No spotlight to reciprocate?

Old 23-03-2016, 20:19   #110

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Don't know if that's all together true. I wonder if the sales tax on the goods would go towards public trash disposal? You and I have talked about this before Tom, if you spend money in a community you are helping to support both the local business's and supporting the local government with the sales tax you pay.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Don't recall the conversation.

Also not sure what "public trash disposal" is. At BKH there are one or two dumpsters depending on the season. Also a few trash cans scattered around. But the marina has to pay for trash collection. Monroe County residents are billed for trash collection by the county in addition to their yearly tax bill. There are also a some trash cans at places like the beach and on the road to the beach and at the park. Also a few dumpsters at the park. These locations are all for the users of the beach and the park, not for folks are simply looking for a place to dump trash. Monroe County spends $US17.8 million a year on solid waste, about 6.16% of the budget. In theory this money comes from the assessment added to residents tax bill.

So while sales tax revenue may be used to make up any short fall the sad fact of the matter is this would only increase the $US25 million deficit Monroe County had in the Year 2015.

Do you really think the tax payers of Monroe county want to increase their deficit by paying for freeloaders trash disposal?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:26   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It has now become law whether signed or not.
Old 23-03-2016, 20:45   #112

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter

CRAP ! just spent a boat buk on a new spade anchor
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:47   #113
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Don't recall the conversation.

Also not sure what "public trash disposal" is. At BKH there are one or two dumpsters depending on the season. Also a few trash cans scattered around. But the marina has to pay for trash collection. Monroe County residents are billed for trash collection by the county in addition to their yearly tax bill. There are also a some trash cans at places like the beach and on the road to the beach and at the park. Also a few dumpsters at the park. These locations are all for the users of the beach and the park, not for folks are simply looking for a place to dump trash. Monroe County spends $US17.8 million a year on solid waste, about 6.16% of the budget. In theory this money comes from the assessment added to residents tax bill.

So while sales tax revenue may be used to make up any short fall the sad fact of the matter is this would only increase the $US25 million deficit Monroe County had in the Year 2015.

Do you really think the tax payers of Monroe county want to increase their deficit by paying for freeloaders trash disposal?

So use the beach or park then dump your trash. I'm not condoning using the public trash receptacles as the only place to dump your trash, but it's a sight better than dumping it in the harbor or in the street. Something we have done is to ask a business if we can dump our trash in their dumpster after we have made purchases from that business.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:51   #114

Boat: Westsail 32

The Florida governor is playing cheap head games. He's delaying signing hoping to rope in future votes of anti anchoring restriction people.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:05   #115

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post

So, what does the $22 include?
It concerned me that no one from BKH was jumping at the chance to answer this question.

I looked it up. It's $22. to tie up a dinghy.

Prices like that should take a sizable bite out of that multi million dollar county trash bill.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:09   #116

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

On the trash talk....

Coincidentally about an hour before sunset today I dinghied in to the public park here with two plastic shopping bags of trash.

A city worker was collecting trash there as I walked up. So I asked him if it was ok to bring my trash in from my boat for disposal, pointing at my boat and then the can he was emptying. He said, "Of course, that's what it's here for."

I said good, thanks. And asked if my water tanks run low can I fill a water jug from the tap on the rinse shower. He said, "Sure."

I've never had to pay for water or a pumpout, but always tip the dock hand. Though some municipal marinas don't allow tips.

I usually fill the water tanks once a month at a marina when getting diesel and a pumpout. Some times run out of water first. If I have trash while at a marina fuel dock I take it to their dumpster so the dock hands won't have to do that for me.

I'm in the Ft. Myers area. The Okeechobee Waterway is my southern limit in Florida. So no worries I'll be freeloading down further south.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:12   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefloat View Post
CRAP ! just spent a boat buk on a new spade anchor
I'm just boat person according to the math my islander cost 300 bucks. 7 years ago. I think I can scrape up a couple pennies off the curb Dana sell it?
Old 23-03-2016, 23:40   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
My point is you are throwing your trash someplace you have not paid for.

My next point is you seem shocked that folks expect you to pay for disposing your trash. The money you spent buying something paid for what you bought, not for buying a trash can, and putting gas in a truck and paying trashmen to haul your trash away.
Do you really believe what you're saying?

So if I'm driving through on my way somewhere else and I stop at the rest stop in a state to which I have no connection to, other than stopping there on my way somewhere else, I may not avail myself to a PUBLIC rest stop and the amenities it provides?

PS IMO as long as Florida is taking any Federal funds for its general budget any taxpayer from any other state is "paying" for that budget. Let alone if it's a Federal subsidy for the pump outs, etc.

PPS. Below is the example of the logic, or lack thereof, of the anti-anchoring anti-use of public facilities crowd.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 04:06   #119

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
It concerned me that no one from BKH was jumping at the chance to answer this question.

I looked it up. It's $22. to tie up a dinghy.

Prices like that should take a sizable bite out of that multi million dollar county trash bill.
Likely the reason is that it was easy enuff fer you to do what you ultimately did, and then you deliberately misstated the answer. As you and everyone with a way to touch a keyboard knows, the $22 includes:

• dinghy dockage with very close access to stores,
  • a pumpout
  • free showers
  • access to water, ice and trash disposal.
Unstated but implicit "for marina customers" is legal access to wifi, tv, battery charging, and
  • laundry,
  • use of the project room,
  • ability to park a vehicle for the day for $5.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 04:07   #120
vjm

Today is the deadline for the governor to veto. If you have not emailed or called to register your disapproval, please do!
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, florida