Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 10:24   #136

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is what I hope happens too, except I would be tempted to skip KW and buy provisions in Cuba if able, but I doubt it will ever get to where you can anchor anywhere you want, and stay as long as you please, I have never been but my understanding is you can't travel and anchor where you please?
Sailing outside now and losing cell service.

I don't know what the restrictions will be. Perhaps the more money they want the fewer restrictions.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:35   #137

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well Florida just went on my don't go to list.
I agree. But keep in mind the slippery slope argument.

Things could get so bad everywhere else that FL could be
the best place to go.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:38   #138

Boat: Comet 41s

Anchor ban in Florida seems not the right way to describe the law.

It is not all Florida but some specific areas and anchoring is allowed on those areas, staying overnight isn't, except if the weather is bad and someone needs shelter.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil...illText/c1/PDF
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:40   #139

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I like the thought sailnow2011

But the issue that seems to be presenting itself right now, is a lot of wealthy landowners, living adjacent to small bays, don't ever what to see anchored boats ... especially during the hours of darkness ... knowing that someone lies ... in the dark ... 150-200 feet from someone's private residence ... someone's place of solitude ... someone's place of refuge for the night.

The very idea that someone "could", see the people in their house, doing their normal routine, can be very unnerving ... potentially, very stressful. Most people really don't trust most other people ... never have ... probably, never will.

Requiring boat movement every 30 days ... every 14 days, or even every few days, will not solve this particular problem.

I suppose landowners can put up barriers, but they don't want barriers, they want the view ... even though the "view", is not really an appurtenance of the property.

Maybe the landowner should've realized that Boats generally use waterways and often anchor ... and that the landowner didn't own the water ... you'd think a knowledgeable real-estate person would/should know.

Maybe the landowner should've spent a few more dollars and built his/her house farther from the water ...

The only realistic answer for the landowner is to keep the boaters from being near them at all ... ever ... problem is ... the boaters have the right to be there, and I have a hunch that with this new law, eventually, the federal government will have to get involved over these water rights.

I'm glad I'm not in Florida ... I'm glad I don't have to deal with some bombastic landowner who wants to make every boaters life as much helll as possible ... and I'm especially glad that I'm not one of these boaters(however many there are), who unfairly, or unrealistically cause problems.

My "personal" feeling is boaters should be more or less moving, or tied to something like a dock ...
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 12:38   #140

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post

But the issue that seems to be presenting itself right now, is a lot of wealthy landowners, living adjacent to small bays, don't ever what to see anchored boats ... especially during the hours of darkness ... knowing that someone lies ... in the dark ... 150-200 feet from someone's private residence ... someone's place of solitude ... someone's place of refuge for the night.

The very idea that someone "could", see the people in their house, doing their normal routine, can be very unnerving ... potentially, very stressful. Most people really don't trust most other people ... never have ... probably, never will.

Requiring boat movement every 30 days ... every 14 days, or even every few days, will not solve this particular problem.

I suppose landowners can put up barriers, but they don't want barriers, they want the view ... even though the "view", is not really an appurtenance of the property.

Maybe the landowner should've realized that Boats generally use waterways and often anchor ... and that the landowner didn't own the water ... you'd think a knowledgeable real-estate person would/should know.

Maybe the landowner should've spent a few more dollars and built his/her house farther from the water ...

The only realistic answer for the landowner is to keep the boaters from being near them at all ... ever ... problem is ... the boaters have the right to be there, and I have a hunch that with this new law, eventually, the federal government will have to get involved over these water rights.

I'm glad I'm not in Florida ... I'm glad I don't have to deal with some bombastic landowner who wants to make every boaters life as much helll as possible ... and I'm especially glad that I'm not one of these boaters(however many there are), who unfairly, or unrealistically cause problems.

My "personal" feeling is boaters should be more or less moving, or tied to something like a dock ...

Some interesting thoughts here, Surv that are well worth considering. Well said. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 24-03-2016, 14:34   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well Florida just went on my don't go to list.
So glad I don't own any vessels in Florida anymore...sold them off in Feb and moved into my canal home been boat shopping for the next toy...won't be owning any questionable boats or bringing anything even slightly questionable to florida either...now the FWC has go ahead to really ruin your life there!

I seen all those trainee FWC people last fall getting really militant towards boat people, now doing pre-derelict checks in the near future...once you're pre-derelict declared vessel you can't even sell the boat to get out from under it, you have to either bring the boat up to code or pay to dispose of the boat...rumor is $5K for the later in the keys...

Let me just say to everyone, if you sell a boat in Florida, GO TO TAX AUDITOR OFFICE YOURSELF AND PROCESS THE TITILE OUT OF YOUR NAME!!!!

If you don't and some kook makes the vessel derelict while vessel is still in your name, you will be the one held responsible...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:39   #142

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Let me just say to everyone, if you sell a boat in Florida, GO TO TAX AUDITOR OFFICE YOURSELF AND PROCESS THE TITILE OUT OF YOUR NAME!!!!
You really don't need to shout. Florida has made this quite simple really. You print out a bill of sale for the buyer, and you also print out a "Notice of Sale" for you to send in to the state. That simple, just google those terms and the PDF forms will come up.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 18:25   #143
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post

I'm guessing quite a few of the anchorages were actually inhabited by the boaters before the landowners decided to build. I wonder how many of the boaters complained about the new houses ruining their pristine view?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 21:04   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'm guessing quite a few of the anchorages were actually inhabited by the boaters before the landowners decided to build. I wonder how many of the boaters complained about the new houses ruining their pristine view?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Unfortunately it doesn't matter now. As they say - he who has the most expensive toys wins.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 06:32   #145
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
You really don't need to shout. Florida has made this quite simple really. You print out a bill of sale for the buyer, and you also print out a "Notice of Sale" for you to send in to the state. That simple, just google those terms and the PDF forms will come up.
LOL, "shouting?" We are on the Internet, no one is speaking much less shouting, we are writing/typing not speaking and large print in text intends firmness/no mistaking of a Mssg intent....but I guess you're another who overthinks things/reads with your emotions maybe?

Anyways, really not as simple as you mistake the law...Florida makes it sound that easy but it's hardly that easy so go test it, sell some kook a boat like you think the law releases your liability as you're mistaken, and let them not register/transfer title of the vessel and let them run aground, run into another boat, put it in a yard etc and you will be held liable to some degree...if not entirely?
Go try it...you will learn the hard way as many people do again and again...just sending the state some paperwork doesn't realease your liability in Florida LOL!
Old 25-03-2016, 06:56   #146

Does it really matter what Florida does, regarding declaring your boat to be "pre" derelict? Especially if all the other states don't have such a designation?

My boat is titled and licensed in Ohio ... if I move to Florida and actually stay there, I suppose my boat "could" eventually be titled in Florida, and certainly be registered in Florida.

So ... couldn't he opposite be true, that a boat titled and licensed in Florida ... a state that declared my boat "pre" derelict(whatever the hhhheeellll that is), be move to a state that has no such designation ... ?

Also, how can anything be "pre" anything? A derelict, before it's a derelict ... even a brand new boat is "pre", derelict, before it ever becomes derelict

How long before Florida will determine if a person is "pre", dead, or a "pre", criminal?
Old 25-03-2016, 06:59   #147

Oh ... and on this typing ... I have ALWAYS type my notes in 100 capitals ... almost 40 years.

The only time I typed(or my secretary), in upper/lower case, was for communication with people outside my business.

I don't view caps as shouting ... I find caps much cleaner, much easier to read ... for me.

Think of it ... deciphering 26 letter or 52 letters ... I like simplicity ...
Old 25-03-2016, 07:13   #148

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I know a guy who's mostly deaf, and is always yelling when he talks.
He doesn't view it as shouting ...
Old 25-03-2016, 07:19   #149
cruiser

The "pre-derelict" inspection is much like a safety inspection fix it ticket, it's a warning of sorts...gets you on the radar with the state...

Most people failing pre derlict inspection aren't in a postion (have means) to fix/make vessel compliant so it goes to title of derelict and then salvagers or usually removal/crushed when state brings in a contractor to do the removal process.

I do know failing a pre derelict vessel inspection puts a red flag/hold on your vessels registration/title being able to be sold/title transfer/re register period!

Failing to address derlict vessel issues does eventually bring warrants for arrest much like a failure to appear charges so simply ignoring it and running away with or without the vessel will ultimately turn into a felony offense with time if not dealt with.

Florida is long tired of removing derelict vessels and citizens have no patience for paying for removal of some careless boat persons floating abode.

I have met people who went thru the process, some were so poor but well liked their community paid the money/did the work to bring their vessel into compliance so there are some happy endings...though most don't end well I must admit!
Old 25-03-2016, 07:55   #150

FSMike:

does he type in all caps?

Tags
anchor, florida