Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 16:11   #1

Flicka 20 too small for liveaboard?

Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 Sailboat

Found this Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 for sale, looks very nice and well maintained. I plan on looking at it as soon as possible, but just wanted to get second opinions on whether it would be too small to liveaboard? I think it has everything I need
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:15   #2

Re: Flicka 20 too small for liveaboard?

You can liveaboard anything, but I've been living on a 29' boat that's a good bit bigger than a Flicka (A Pearson Triton), although perhaps not nearly as well laid out, and it gets small quick. Considering that some bigger boats can be had cheap, I'd ponder getting something modern and at least 30'. A Catalina 30' would be cavernous compared to where I'm at.

It's real poor economy to buy a boat and then buy another boat shortly afterwards. If your goal is to liveaboard, I'd buy a bigger boat.
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:24   #3

Boat: Westsail 28

The Flicka is a very cool boat , Plus if you buy it Bruce Bingham will sing your copy of the Sailors Sketchbook https://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Sketc...ors+sketchbook The boat it's self would be livable if not a tad small . Do yourself a favor don't have a pet of any kind and check with your marina to see if the boat would be legal my marina says min. 30 feet for liveaboard . Lastly check this guys blog for inspiration Art of Hookie | Totally unprepared Good luck and keep us posted .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:26   #4

Only one question, are there any major disadvantages to the outboard motor?
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:34   #5

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Depends on intended use. As a livaboard on a marina, YES, to small especially when you can get plenty of good Catalinas fot the same money, if you want blue water capable the the Flika would be small but seriously capable.
If not intending blue water, look at some C30's
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:35   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A lot depends on how big, trim and flexible you are. If you are 5' and sleek it could be good. If you are 6' and not very flexible then probably not so good.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:43   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
A lot depends on how big, trim and flexible you are. If you are 5' and sleek it could be good. If you are 6' and not very flexible then probably not so good.
So very true! Much of the Pardey's success with Serafyn (sp?) was due to their both being rather small physically... something they never seemed to mention in their writings!

Jim
Old 11-12-2016, 16:45   #8

As others have said, what is liveable all depends on the person and their circumstances. A flicka 20 is not what I would choose if my goal was to live aboard in a marina as a replacement to on land housing.

But if your goal is an offshore capable pocket cruiser for one, it's doable, as evidenced by the people already doing it. You'll definitely never feel like it has too much space. If you have any more than the bare minimum of things you need to live, it will be too small.

If you're working full time and trying to live on 20 feet, it will almost certainly be a source of frustration for you, marina rules notwithstanding. Cruising and living in a marina are very different.

It also depends where you live. A rainy winter at a marina stuck inside a flicka would likely be very frustrating. Cruising through amazing places, out exploring through the days, a flicka could be viewed as a romantic place to rest at night before exploring again the next day.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 16:51   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I love flickas! But, what the photos don't show is that the head is located under the center of the v berth and is a porta pottie. I'm 5 feet tall and a plump 120. The flick would be OK for me solo but in a 20 ft boat everything will be proportionate in scale. The v berth is, I believe, just 5'10 in length.
Definitely not a boat for a "stuff" person . So, who are you and how would this boat fit into the lifestyle you imagine? Will this boat fit your dating plans? No use buying a boat for one if you desire a partner.
Old 11-12-2016, 16:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
Only one question, are there any major disadvantages to the outboard motor?
One problem with a out board is that in a large sea the prop will come out of the water . On the plus side you will have more room below and when the thing conks out toss it in the car and take it to the shop . At some point you will need a dingy so it could be the dingy motor .
Old 11-12-2016, 17:09   #11

One thing I just noticed the OP is in Hawaii . OMG in the winter time it gets down to 78*
FLICKA 20 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 11-12-2016, 17:29   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I know a guy who lived on one for 10 years. He had full boat cover, a vane and a bike often hung on it. It seemed to have the latest bells and whistles, even radar as I recall. I never saw him take it sailing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:25   #13

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I love flickas! But, what the photos don't show is that the head is located under the center of the v berth and is a porta pottie. I'm 5 feet tall and a plump 120. The flick would be OK for me solo but in a 20 ft boat everything will be proportionate in scale. The v berth is, I believe, just 5'10 in length.
Definitely not a boat for a "stuff" person . So, who are you and how would this boat fit into the lifestyle you imagine? Will this boat fit your dating plans? No use buying a boat for one if you desire a partner.
Believe it or not, the newer ones have an option of a real, albiet tiny, head. I can't remember what year they offered that option.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:47   #14

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Ditto Markewesti on the check with marina. One down here in Kemah requires a minimum of 36 ft lod for a live aboard. My guess is that they reckon it won't be long before the occupant of a smaller vessel will have all kinds of crates, plastic tubs, and bags in cockpit or on decks or docks holding belongings that won't fit below. Also, along with props out of water, outboards, esp on slow, full displacement vessels, can get swamped and stall when running in nasty offshore conditions. Go bigger. Cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:00   #15

I think people have covered it above. Bottom line is are you heading offshore? Are you working a job every day? It's hard getting ready for work in a very small space. If not then get a boat much bigger for the same money to liveaboard.
One of the worst inventions to boat design is the potti under the V berth. Yuck. What a great smell to wake to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard