Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 12:09   #1

FLA-East Coast-montly slip rental?

Hello all- Given the state of FLA's east coast, I was hoping for some help on locating a liveaboard slip/private dock on a monthly basis. (Some background: I am stuck on land, whilst my friend takes his long awaited journey down the east coast to FLA, and eventually to the Bahama/Bermuda area. He is planning on staying for about a month on FLA's east coast, and would like dockage(basic features, elec/potable H2O, etc., but he is flexible). Any ideas, phone #'s, or suggestions he is crazy for trying to find a slip on the east coast after the hurricanes is appreciated. And, I will forward on your thoughts related to his mental illness. Thanks, Joe
captain323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 16:52   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Joe,
I live on the West coast of FL, and will tell you that in our area it's virtually impossible to do what your friend wants. It's my understanding that the situation is worse on the East coast. By the by, the hurricanes have nothing to do with this, it's all the people trying to squeeze every dollar imaginable out of every inch of real estate here.

Bob & Lynn

L S/V Sew Good
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 18:00   #3

The marina my boat is in has live aboard slips available. There are a couple of boats here because slips are scarce farther south.

http://www.aiyb.net/

We're just barely in Florida.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 22:07   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I took a drive a few days- week after the hurricane in Palm Beach area & saw most marinias up & running fine, everything has been cleaned up in our area, it appears and I think we were amoung the hardest hit.
Try the Riveria beach marina, great location
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:46   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Joe, you don't mention your friend's boat's draft or LOA. Assuming they are not extreme, were I your buddy I would zero in on the Indian River area of FL's east coast. There are a large variety of marinas in that region (from FL's Space Center and nearby Titusville on south...), he can alternate between many free anchorages (in part behind the causeway structures, allowing one to shift to the N or S side of the causeway for protection) and using the nearby marinas in towns with bus service. This area is populated each Fall/Winter with snow birds from up north and finnding transient berthing (which is what he would be looking for, not indefinite liveaboard berthing) should be no problem for him.

You might mention to him that he'll find 50+ cruising yachts anchored off Melbourne's Eau Gallie Causeway for the annual SSCA Gam this coming weekend; a good way to network with folks he'll later be meeting in the islands and a great event, too.

Jack
Old 08-11-2005, 06:52   #6

Great ideas, thank you. Now, I really wonder why I am on land. The boat is a Pearson 323 and draws ~4.6'. It does not sound like this size/draft will be an issue at the places you have mentioned. I will pass along the information. If you see Sorciere, say hi to Paul. Joe
captain323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, renting