Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2011, 20:06   #1

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Fixed Address ?

We are moving onto our boat in a Marina in Sanford, Fl next weekend...this has occured a little sooner than our intial plans....
The Marina says most of their liveaboards use the Marina address as their physical address since they do live there although some choose to use a P.O. Box. Should we use the Marina address as our "Fixed" address for driver licenses etc...or should we use a relatives address? I have read alot about the various pros and cons but most have been actual "cruisers" or people "on the hook" and for at least the next year we will be at the Marina except maybe on the occassional weekend.

Thanks
Tori
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 20:29   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Fixed Address?

If you are planning on staying there, use their address.

If cruising. I use my own, kids p/u.

I don't rec'v much snail mail anymore.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 21:10   #3

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

If it is likely that you will be moving around on your boat or overland then using the marina address may not be a good long-term solution. It's a hassle changing all of the address records that build up over time so I recommend trying to find a long-term solution/address if possible. What will work best depends on your situation but I'll share some of my experiences since they may apply?

Family can help with mail handling while you are moving about/out of the country etc. One of the best parts of having family check your mail is that you can probably trust them with important mail like money/checks etc. Some of the downsides might be that you don't want them seeing all of your mail and being that involved in your "business". It also may not allow you to request your mail be forwarded as frequently as you like etc. since you may not want to be too much of an inconvenience.

For years I used a P.O. box and would forward my mail or let it pile up as I traveled. Somehow I made this work for 7 or 8 years but it was a hassle and didn't work well. I am so glad to not have to deal with the USPS p.o. box/mail forwarding any more. I don't get much mail sent but it is usually important and mail forwarding problems were the norm rather than the exception with the USPS. It was also not very flexible and there were delays in changes etc. etc. did I mention that it was frustrating? It only gets worse as you travel more..

Since late last year I've been using ST. Brendans Isle there in Florida. It has been everything that they said it would. I couldn't be happier with the service. They answer when I call with random questions, my mail is processed exactly as I expect it will be, the price is fair, etc. They have also helped me with a lot of non-mail related items as I am moving everything to FL and my address with them from vehicle registration, insurance etc. I'm doing this remotely as I won't even be visiting FL until later this year and am not sure when I'll get down there on my boat. I can't imagine dealing with all of the transfer stuff without their help.

I've also used other addresses as my mailing address as I traveled but this was the worst of the setups that I've had. My experience has been that if they aren't family, or mail professionals then they may not be able to keep up with your mail for you very well. If the marina seems capable and glad to handle your mail for you though it may be a good solution, esp. if it's only for periodic mailings and not the address that you will sink into with your accounts, insurance, and other long-term relationships.

Hope that is somewhat helpful. Good luck, and enjoy your next phase in life.

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 04:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

For our first 30 years aboard we used marina addresses and PO boxes, but for our more recent 10 years, with retirement and most always cruising, we rely on the services of St. Brendans Isle. We've also trimmed our essential mail to a minimum with the internet use. Currently, we only have our mail sent from St. Brendans once every four to six weeks.
Old 28-05-2011, 04:43   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Another vote for St. Brendan's!

I've been using it for the past year while in Thailand and the US and no problems at all. Excellent service.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 12:24   #6

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Re: Fixed Address ?

Thanks for the info on St. Brendan's Isle. We're figuring to become "full time cruisers" in about 6 months.
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 12:40   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Does anyone know of a similar service of St. Brendan's Isle. on the West Coast, particularly the PNW. Need to keep the boat documentation updated.
Old 22-01-2012, 21:05   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

delmarrey -
Many of the UPS stores/mail boxes etc. type of stores offer a similar service.
Old 23-01-2012, 07:57   #9

St Brendan's will work whichever coast you're on. You can designate them as your agent and they will sign your USCG documentation when it comes due. Another benefit, when you're out of country, if you wish, they will scan your mail and email you a copy of the contents. Often you only need the information, not the piece of paper it was written on, so save the cost and time delay of shipping it. They can also handle specialized stuff like medications & boat parts. Great service.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 13:16   #10
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

You can't get a driver's license, bank account, brokerage account, etc. without a physical address. However, sensitive mail that comes to a marina doesn't always get the private handling one would prefer. Use both addresses to your advantage.
Old 26-01-2012, 15:56   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
You can't get a driver's license, bank account, brokerage account, etc. without a physical address. However, sensitive mail that comes to a marina doesn't always get the private handling one would prefer. Use both addresses to your advantage.
Actually, we use St Brendan's Isle as our address of record for Florida driver licenses, voter registration in Florida, our credit cards, our banks and our financial investment firm. Yet we don't have any physical address in the U.S., just the SBI Personal Mail Box (PMB). SBI and our ability to manage investments and credit card accounts over the Internet is what allows us to live in Nevis with no hassles whatsoever. We can choose what we want SBI to open and scan for us or what we want them to mail to us without opening. Easy-peasy!
Old 26-01-2012, 16:09   #12

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
That is my point. I don't want a Florida drivers license or a Florida address. I want a Maryland address. There are other ways to do your mail. I needed a physical address for health ins, car insurance, credit card. I don't own a home, but own my slip in Maryland. I use that address.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 04:46   #13
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Actually, we use St Brendan's Isle as our address of record for Florida driver licenses, voter registration in Florida, our credit cards, our banks and our financial investment firm. Yet we don't have any physical address in the U.S., just the SBI Personal Mail Box (PMB). SBI and our ability to manage investments and credit card accounts over the Internet is what allows us to live in Nevis with no hassles whatsoever. We can choose what we want SBI to open and scan for us or what we want them to mail to us without opening. Easy-peasy!
I'm on your side but have you renewed your Florida driver's license since they tightened up on the rules? Last year I had to present proof of physical address (such as an electric bill), my birth certificate AND a marriage certificate because my name is different now from my birth certificate. I also had to take an eye test. Do you file IRS as a resident of Nevis? And isn't it a felony for a non-resident to register to vote in Florida? Wasn't it on this forum that I read about a man who was jailed overnight in South Florida because the address on his driver's license was different from his marina address? I love this plan but hope you aren't cruisin' for a bruisin'.
Old 27-01-2012, 05:02   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Hi, Janet.

I got the license for the first time after the new rules were in effect. I had to provide proof of address, as well. I showed them a copy of a financial statement from my investment company which had been mailed to my St Brendan Isles personal mailbox, and they were happy with it.

I am a legal resident of Florida. Florida is fine with the fact that I have no physical presence there. If I resided in any other state for more than half a year, they would have a problem, but I live outside the US. I file my federal taxes as a resident of the state of Florida, all perfectly legal. I have been in contact with the Board of Elections in Clay County, Florida about absentee voting. They are completely aware that my Florida address is nothing but a mail forwarding company and also that I physically reside in Nevis, and that's not a problem for them.

Actually, SBI provided me the application form for Florida residency and walked it over to the Clerk of the Court and filed it. I subsequently received a certificate with official seal stating that I am a Florida resident, without owning property there and without even showing up to apply. It's all very simple and completely legal and above-board. I did have to appear in person to get my drivers license. They needed to take my photo.

The man who was jailed broke the law by not changing his address on his drivers license within the prescribed time limit. Totally different situation.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:25   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Does anyone know of a similar service of St. Brendan's Isle
St Bendan's Isle is great. Plus you have the tax advantage if you change your residency, of living in an income tax free state. The other company that does mail forwarding for a lot of our clients is Voyagers Mail forwarding: www.vmfs.com