Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07   #1

Fish Scarecrow = Wind Generator

I've had the poles in the water for many months. I've been trying different lures, setups, distances about every day. So far, the only time I caught a fish was once, & that was when there was a very bad storm and it was at night time. The line was barely hanging into the water w/ a weight & lure on it before I went to bed. Although the shad was hooked in the mouth, I think it was snagged!

This river is constantly being fished by stinkboats. I should know. They usually pass a few feet away.

The fish finder shows fish, but none of them want my lures & I've used what the locals recommend, including: live nightcrawlers, little crabs, DOA shrimp, popping cork, various weights & lures, fish lures spoons of different sizes, & plastic squids, multiples of those. I've used circle hooks, octopus... 1 fish, several months.

I've read about wind-generators keeping the birds away. Could they also be keeping the fish away? It's mounted on the rear. This whole time I've seen one bird try to land on my boat, and it landed on the wind-gen blade, sunk, and flew off.

I suspect that thing is a fish scarecrow. Anyone else notice this?
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Fish Scarecrow = wind generator

Not having any experience with wind generators and fish, couldn't tell you. What I do know that when I am commercial trolling for salmon the, stainless steel trolling wires carry a static charge and if it gets too high the fish will not bite the lures, different species of salmon have different sensitivities to the current. The way we bring the charge down is to douse the gurdies (hydraulic trolling reels) with fresh water. If by chance you have a stray current coming from your wind generator, it could possibly affect your catching.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:59   #3

That's fascinating. Sharks, rays, & catfish have organs in their face that enable them to "see" electromagnetic fields. Any metal wire in the ocean is going to give off a galvanic charge, due to the dissolved metalic ions in the seawater, w/ it's 72 trace elements.
Other fish can sense it too, but not like sharks. Sharks are the most sensitive. I thought you were going to say that you coated your line w/ enamel, like some electrical wires are.
The fish don't bite even when the wind-gen isn't moving, which is more than 60% of the time.
I can see the anchor's chain putting out a good field, but, the fish-finder shows that they pass right under the boat, so... I don't know. Maybe they lose their appetites. I could try laying a nylon rode instead.
Old 04-05-2014, 13:05   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Many other factors. Is your line sized properly? Are you contaminating the bait with something on your hands, like fuel, soap or lotion?

What I'm saying is that it's not your wind generator.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 14:34   #5

No we don't have time to paint our lines. Catch plenty of fish though. My Father would have said "maybe you are holding your mouth wrong." He felt that you had to have the right expression to catch fish. Me I say "you have to think like a fish". There is some wisdom to the bait contamination idea, that would be my first look, either what you keep it in, what you touch before touching the bait. Chlorine is a big turn off for fish too. If your wind generator is running, it is possible that the vibration from that would disturb the fish.
Old 04-05-2014, 15:46   #6

I've tried 3 different line sizes on 3 different poles. 5#, 15#, 50# All different sized lures. The sabiki caught that 1 shad. next smallest was the 1" worm w/ tales, then the 1.5" squid on up to 4" squid & 4" spoon. I don't mess with chemicals. Perhaps I should wash/scrub them & soak em in fresh water w/out soap, wash my hands w/ soap, wear rubber gloves & try again.
Old 04-05-2014, 17:30   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Fish Scarecrow = Wind Generator

You need to have a pretty woman spit on the lure before you drop it over the stern.

Really.
Old 04-05-2014, 17:39   #8

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig

Talk to the locals. There's nothing that people like to talk about more than their fishing expertise.

Or walk in a local bait shop and ask for tips.

I grew up fishing fresh water lakes/rivers/ponds/tiny mountain trout streams and can tell you that local knowledge trumped every expensive lure and equipment.
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:37   #9

Or you may just be a "Jonah" that is a guy who couldn't catch a fish with a stick of dynamite. Local knowledge is invaluable. The fish don't care about your anchor rode, and probably not your wind generator either. Did you try pumping your holding tank over the side? Call it chumming.
Old 06-05-2014, 15:58   #10

Have a beautiful woman take the fishing rod and pee on it before using.

It will ensure the sea gods give u fish unlimited.

Oh ya...the beautiful girl has to be a Virgin. Hmm....is there such a thing? Beautiful virgins?
harold_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 19:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Do you live aboard alone? Old time commercial fishermen believed letting a woman aboard would kill the fishing. Even allowing women aboard in port would somehow taint the fishing ability of vessel.
Years ago when rafting out in a crowded commercial port, an inboard skipper wouldn't let my (now ex) wife cross his boat under any circumstances. I had to move the boat to another string so she could get ashore. Being divorced lets me see things in another light.

On this boat I've caught fish by accident. Apparently an untainted vessel.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:17   #12

We have a slightly different tradition in that we get one of the crew's women drunk, and then have her "anoint" the gear, no virginity requirement. I've commercial fished with plenty of women aboard, and saw no down turn of production.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:42   #13

I'll ask my beautiful virgin harem to bless the gear. right away
Old 07-05-2014, 09:17   #14

On the other hand...

Officials worry urinating swimmers may be reason for 500 dead fish - World News

Oh well, back to the swimming pool everybody!
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, generator, wind, wind generator