Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2015, 18:58   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 33
First Time Transition Pain

This year we have really kicked into high gear getting ready to make our transition to retired full-time liveaboard cruisers. We only have 1 year and 9 months to go, if we can sell our house.

In addition to working on the refit of the boat we have been working like crazy on house projects getting it ready to sell. We have also started clearing the house out. Many items have been sold, others donated, and I don't know how many trips to the dump. Actually we are down to bare bones for furnishings and not much in the way of "decor." I like the look. During all of it I have felt nothing but elation and a sense of "lightening," feeling the shackles falling off and the burden getting lighter. Every single project we have done and every item we have let go of has been a step toward our ultimate freedom. Until tonight......

We recently decided to sell our teardrop camper that we spent 2 years building from scratch. When I say recently I mean this week. Originally we had planned to keep it. But the logistics and expense of it just didn't make sense to us. We would not only have to store the camper, but also keep a truck to pull it with. That means storage for 2 vehicles, insurance on both, registration fees, maintenance. And where do we store it? We don't plan to have a permanent base, at least not at first. The name of the game is freedom and not being tied to anything. So do we then have to fly to where it is stored just so we can go camping? We reasoned that all those expenses combined would pay for a couple of vacations a year to visit our kids or whatever.

We put the camper on Craigslist just yesterday and tonight a nice young couple showed up in our yard with an envelope full of cash and drove away with it. For the first time throughout this whole process I actually felt emotional to see something go. I don't know if it was the time and work I had invested, or giving up all the fun camping activities that we no longer have time for anyway. Or maybe it's just that it all got really real all of a sudden. Not that it wasn't before....

I'll just be focused on the fact that the money in that envelope will pay for a new suit of sails for the boat and move on. But my reaction did surprise me a bit.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 19:14   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not quite the same scale, but I too felt nothing but elation until the sale of our tripping canoe. That boat took us on so many trips, through so many wilderness rivers and lakes, but there's no place for it in our new life.

I just remind myself that's it's just another thing...

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54   #3

We have just moved aboard our boat, she's on the hard for at least the next month. We will be heading down the ICW. We made the decision that you did in February, we had a small farm in NH, we've kept our house and property sold off all of our equipment, but when wen turned in the car I went through the same thoughts as you. Freedom from things that have been keeping me tethered to one place!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-08-2015, 05:56   #4

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: First Time Transition Pain

We're in the final stages of getting rid of all the accumulated stuff as well. We made the decision to move south, been in NH for 15 years, last October. We've been getting rid of stuff since May, all that's left in the house for furniture is our bed and a 40" tv. We've sold or given away several pieces of hand made furnature crafted by my now deceased father-in-law, they were a little tough for my wife to part with.
Probably the biggest emotional roller coaster was the weekend that I delivered the Catalina 30 to the new owners on a Saturday, and Sunday we put a Pearson 424 under contract. That was in mid June, now just 2 months later we have a week to finish prepping the house for rent and move on to the boat! Exciting times but stressful.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
We're in the final stages of getting rid of all the accumulated stuff as well. We made the decision to move south, been in NH for 15 years, last October. We've been getting rid of stuff since May, all that's left in the house for furniture is our bed and a 40" tv. We've sold or given away several pieces of hand made furnature crafted by my now deceased father-in-law, they were a little tough for my wife to part with.
Probably the biggest emotional roller coaster was the weekend that I delivered the Catalina 30 to the new owners on a Saturday, and Sunday we put a Pearson 424 under contract. That was in mid June, now just 2 months later we have a week to finish prepping the house for rent and move on to the boat! Exciting times but stressful.
You really have made a huge transition in a short period of time. The furniture would have been tough for me too. As far as the boat....yeah maybe that too except I think that one would have been easily overcome by the excitement of the new boat.

Congratulations on making your break.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
We have just moved aboard our boat, she's on the hard for at least the next month. We will be heading down the ICW. We made the decision that you did in February, we had a small farm in NH, we've kept our house and property sold off all of our equipment, but when wen turned in the car I went through the same thoughts as you. Freedom from things that have been keeping me tethered to one place!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
So happy for you that you are getting out. Living on the hard is never easy but will quickly become a memory when you're back in the water.

Keeping the house and property gives you some security for what comes next, and hopefully is contributing to your cruising kitty. I wish you all the best on your upcoming adventure.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:42   #7

Boat: Pearson 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
You really have made a huge transition in a short period of time. The furniture would have been tough for me too. As far as the boat....yeah maybe that too except I think that one would have been easily overcome by the excitement of the new boat.

Congratulations on making your break.
We have a history of moving quickly once we get our minds on something, it has served us well in the past. Also, we are not selling the house or planning to cruise any time soon so that makes the transition a lot easier than what you're planning.
Hope all goes well for you.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:49   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I know how you feel.

I had a C&C25 when my kids were little. It was time to get a bigger boat. But when I sold the little C&C, I felt awful. Sure, I got a very good price...more than I had paid...but I had a hole in my heart.

IMHO, the problem was that we had so many wonderful adventures on that boat. Selling it was ending all that. My kids were getting older, and I would no longer be sailing with them "little". So it wasn't really the boat, but the milestone that life is moving on. A wonderful time in my life was over. And I was sad.

I bought another boat eventually, but it was never the same. My kids were older. Somehow the world was not such a bright and wonderful place as it had been when they were little, on our little C&C.

And now my kids are in high school and have no time to sail with me at all. I've been sailing alone too much lately. It makes me feel old. I have this great boat and all the skills to sail her...and no crew. So once again, my boat is for sale:

Pearson 30. Price Will Drop Until Boat is Sold, Loaded, Kingston | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5293.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	106880  
Old 07-08-2015, 08:58   #9

Boat: Leopard 46

Just look at it this way, you have sold it to a nice young couple who will use it and enjoy it. You are moving on to new things.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:15   #10

I have got to agree with being on the hard. Oh jeez it's like camping in a tree house. I told my hubby this morning that after the living on the water will be a piece of cake. This is also giving us time to define what we really want to take with us, which is really next to nothing personal!
Old 07-08-2015, 14:40   #11

When ever you build something or restore something you have put a piece of you into that work. Transitions are always stressful and a little unsettling. Decisive nature is not my strong suit for sure. It is always difficult for me to move on. You have made a realistic plan..."full speed ahead...damned the torpedos."
Old 08-08-2015, 06:29   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Nancie and I are always impressed with the challenge faced by downsizing and moving to a boat from a house. We never did this since we never had a time in our lives when we had accumulated more possessions than would fit in our car. It's my impression is that this transition from a house and belongings is a bolder move than just the single decision to live aboard.

'great to hear of your success!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: