Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 06:34   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
First Month Cruising Costs

So after 1 month we are in Hampton VA after leaving Salem MA. We have been going maybe a little fast, but at the same time have gotten stuck at places for 8 days due to weather conditions. Yesterday we did a first after 8 years of boat ownership and popped our cherries and pulled into a marina slip for 4 days and can see how one could get "trapped" by having all the water and power you would like.

Since I pay almost everything with a credit card it is easy to track where our money has gone and I post for your amusement.

Food/sundries/soda/alcohol - $432.11
Boat maintenance/repair/new accessories - $646.27
Dining Out - $799.58
Fuel - $197.68
Marina costs - $63
Entertainment - $201.50
Communication & storage - $217.36

So that's $2548.50, which less than our monthly budget of $3000, but doesn't include large deferred boat costs that need to be planned for like sails etc. in the future.

As can be seen we prefer to anchor out and use the saved money to dine out
Old 19-10-2016, 07:17   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: First Month Cruising Costs

my first month was about 3k.... oops my budget has always been about half that.... oops..
first month i didnt know yet what i needed for my own personal comfort, spent way too much, also thankyou to wannabe crew consuming ALL my stores due to self absorbtion and inability to follow instructions. oops. 2 lessons in one week.
now my budget is a little larger than my cruising needs-- i manage on less than 1000 for cruising and 500 for slip rent during repairs. fuel always costs most--around 300 usd for my tank filled.
yours may also mellow out as you accustom yourself to the lifestyle, prices reduce some, unless you are in a pricey area.
have fun---once storms disappear, life improves ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:56   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Has it been a month already? Time flies!
Our boat is "fix as you go". Im sure our 1st month will well exceed "budget" as part of that will be refit costs.
But your post makes me more determined than ever to cook aboard. Eating out is expensive!
Have fun and be safe. If you get bored on the water Hudson Force has a few suggestions
Old 19-10-2016, 08:03   #4
cruiser

You spend more than us, like twice as much. Four times as much on eating out.

Have fun.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 08:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

646.27 on maintance in the first month. Just one lil question what did ya break?
Other than that great breakdown of expenses . Thanks for that . I would be willing to bet your food costs will go down over the next few months . Post more each month or at least a quarterly summary .
Old 19-10-2016, 08:26   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

whatever you think the boat expenses will be, double it. And occasionally double it again. At least that is my experience. You never know what will break until it does.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 08:42   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Most of the boat costs were in a new shower discharge pump (and I upgraded that system to a Whale Gusher unit) and a new diesel starter that I was getting concerned about.

I do my own labor!
Old 19-10-2016, 09:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You said four marina days, but show $63 as marina costs?
We aren't full time, yet we do a marina every so often when we are out, once for a Tropical Storm.
I figure occasional marina visits are a fact of life, I hope to wean ourselves off of them as time passes.
We will eat out often, to keep the Admiral happy, she doesn't like to cook and I'm lazy and would rather eat in, but don't cook myself. We both work full time though, so there will be some adjustments I'm sure.
You kept your boat on a mooring before you left?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 09:21   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Those 4 days in slip aren't part of the expenses as that is this month not last month. But the 4 days are $161 including power. Yes we have always been mooring people. Last month we paid for 1 night on mooring and a few dinghy dock fees st marinas
Old 19-10-2016, 09:35   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks Don, it's useful info. Reinforces my experience that I can live pretty cheaply on my boat.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:48   #11

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Thanks for the breakdown Sailorboy1,
I move aboard my boat in April of next year and will be spending most of my time around Hampton/Norfolk, Va.

As I have a few months ahead of me for planning and will be the only one on the boat. One of my many ex-wives in the states is an assistant manager at one of the local supermarket chains and she has been kind enough to send me current food prices (and beer prices too! ) which, based on my current diet here in Egypt, I will eat better there than here on less than $300 a month.

I plan on swinging on the hook for the most part but marina visits for fuel, pump out and water will be inevitable. So am planning one week in a marina per month (not all at once). Your numbers on 4 days in a marina pretty much coincide with what I am budgeting for myself.

Transportation while ashore....what kind of costs did you incur for taxi's, buses, courtesy cars, etc.?

As I will be outfitting my boat prior to launching, most things should be up to par (but we all know how those plans go, don't we). Initial outfitting budget is $5K but will probably come in closer to $4K. After that, monthly maintenance fees should be pretty low in my case.

$799.58 on dining out while in the marina for 4-days? Must have been some really good food! That's almost a third of my monthly budget. (Me? I'd hit Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, maybe a movie....and then go buy boat stuff instead with the rest of the cash).

Thanks for the info! It has helped with my planning
Fleming
Old 19-10-2016, 09:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Marina's will eat you alive.
I think our plan will be to buy them at the longer term rates, but try to stay in one rarely.
Its one or two days a week in a Marina that would kill you I think.
Seems a three of four day stay sometimes will be as much as a months stay?

You did really, really well for four days at $161 total, could have easily been double that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:47   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Makes me appreciate the SF bay and delta marina's, where the expensive ones are $30 a night and the cheap ones are 1/2 that. power included.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 12:43   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Marina's will eat you alive.
I realized I am too poor to stay at marinas in New England when the cheapest place I could find in eastern CT was $120 per night.

I told the owner I could rent a hotel room just down the road with air con, cable with HBO and a kitchen for $80/day and offered him $80/day 2-3 days. Thought he might take it considering his marina was over half empty but he turned me down so I stayed on the anchor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 12:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Makes me appreciate the SF bay and delta marina's, where the expensive ones are $30 a night and the cheap ones are 1/2 that. power included.
That's just in the Delta, yes? Would be surprised to see rates like that around the city.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising