Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 07:42   #1

First liveaboard boat help?

So it been about about a year of planning an research and I have narrowed it down to 2 boats. Plan on getting a full marine survey for the boat I put an offer on.

1991 silverton 41 MY 55,000 very clean well equip, good for entertaining. lot of extras, nicer baths looks as though it has been maintained but who really knows for sure

1986 sea Ray 410 aftcabin 40,000 more storage, bigger aft deck not as much natural light, needs a little love, engine" rebuilt 2014" again who knows

Now I will be financing part of the purchase so there will bea slight difference in monthly expenses. As for cursing it will be very limited to a mile or two on the weekends for both are gas and I do not manage headge funds. But still want it to be functional and have about a 30mile trip to my home marina. Boat will be wet docked year round. Now I like the silverton more but that extra couple of hundred a month could be nice for any unforseen repairs (bound to happen) certainly would be comfortable living on both though.

I am just looking for some opinions on the boats form people who may have experience with the 2.

Thanks and hopefull am living aboard by April
Jjaskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:45   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: First liveaboard boat help???

I'm not familiar with that particular Silverton 41MY, but there's an owner's club (silvertonclub.com), doesn't cost much to join, and somebody there probably has one. And there are a boatload of folks who have Silverton models that are similar in at least some or probably many respects.

-Chris
Old 31-01-2016, 00:16   #3

Re: First liveaboard boat help?

Thanks,

Guess what in asking is... Is it worth getting a fixer and saving some $$$ or just getting the ready to go?
Jjaskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 04:55   #4

Really hard to say. "It depends."

Depends on which parts/system need TLC, how much TLC they need, how much replacement parts/systems might cost, whether you can -- and are inclined to do the work yourself (saving labor hours), etc.

In the end, a fixer-upper at low initial $$ can end up costing more than one in netter shape from the git-go. OTOH, if the lower $$ example can safely get you into boating sooner, that can be an advantage, too... assuming you're able to gradually upgrade that one to the condition you require.

So: It depends.

Maybe start with: Which boat do you like more?" (Maybe including more than just those two examples, too.)

Or: "What features do you want in a boat, and which boats offer those features?"

That latter question is the way we start boat shopping. Define what we want. Find boats that offer what we want. Without regard to brand, condition -- at first. That at least is a way to get to a decent short list... at which point we can say which one we like best. Then it's just a matter of finding one of those, available at a price we're willing to pay.

You probably did all that, one way or another, in your year of research...

-Chris
Old 31-01-2016, 06:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jjaskot.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 09:51   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I would not want a gas boat in that size. For safety and reliability.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
I would not want a gas boat in that size. For safety and reliability.

Gas boats in that size range and configuration are quite common, and generally safe and reliable assuming thoughtful owners. Yes, there can be potential safety issues, but those are all manageable. Gas engines, especially the newer fuel injected models, are quite reliable -- given attention to known issues (periodic exhaust manifold replacement, for example).

That range is also right in the area where the gas-vs-diesel decision happens more because of engine capability (mostly about torque) than other factors. Other factors -- improved long-term economy, for example, exist but then it depends on intended use. Many short trips in a gas boat often don't add up to cover the sometimes-hugely-higher upfront installation costs for diesel.

It's not a one-size-fits-all question...

-Chris

Tags
liveaboard