Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 10:26   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Family friendly marina hour or less away from MacDill in Tampa

Looking for a good marina for a family with green space such as a lawn for the kids to play in. We just heard back from Twin Dolphins and they said they had a $100 per person live-aboard fee. Couldn't quite believe that, but moving on. Be happy to hear on recommendations! Ah, we have a catamaran as well.

Looking at The Harborage, Pasadena, Twin Dolphins, Regatta Point (does that have any green space?), Gulfport (does it take live aboards?), etc.

We know that space is difficult for cats, so going onto a T head or side tie can often give marinas more options of where to put us.

Cheers!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:28   #2

Re: family friendly marina hour or less away from MacDill in Tampa

Gulfport does not allow liveaboards. St. Petersburg Municipal, perhaps, but I'm pretty sure they have a fairly long waiting list. You might check Clearwater Municipal, or if there are spaces open at Island Estates in Clearwater.

Are you sure the liveaboard fee at Twin Dolphin was per person? A liveaboard fee of $100 would be quite reasonable for this area, but I've never heard of a marina that made it a "per person" fee.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 15:19   #3

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Check out Marina Jack in Sarasota... plenty of nearby green space.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 16:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
Check out Marina Jack in Sarasota... plenty of nearby green space.
Last I heard, Marina Jack had a "hefty" live aboard fee as well
Old 09-05-2015, 20:41   #5

I was shocked too! For a family of 4 (boy 10, daughter 4) they've given us the "corrected" cost of $300, not $400. Still twice as high as a high live-aboard fee. It actually increased their quote by 50% over the base price of the slip. I've just never seen that before either.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:14   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

There are scores of marinas that will fit your needs, and plenty of threads on CF as well. Check out Marinas.com. Sounds like some pretty crazy ''per person'' fees as well.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 15:35   #7

Boat: O'Day 302

The Harborage is great and just across the bay from Macdill. Plus, you get all the perks of downtown St Pete: groceries, tons of parks, restaraunts, boat yards, there's even a new rock climbing gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:51   #8

Re: Family friendly marina hour or less away from MacDill in Tampa

If you are really concerned about the length of the commute, I would suggest that you try making the drive during rush hour before you sign a contract. Google maps says that it is just a half hour drive from downtown St. Pete to MacDill. Yeah, maybe at 3am! During rush hour I can guarantee you that it will take a lot longer than that. Probably a solid hour, and if there is an accident on any of the bridges... Fuhgeddaboudit!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:10   #9

Boat: O'Day 302

Good thought Don. Traffic in the area is becoming more and more congested and the bridges are all choke points.

Macdill does have a marina. You could boat to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 13:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The Active Captain site shows that Tampa Yacht & Country Club takes liveaboards. Google map shows the distance to McDill AFB is the same as the length of the runway on the base. The costs might be higher, but money can be saved with the short commute. There's a pool and grass areas.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:55   #11

Boating to work is a possibility, especially if they put in the high speed ferry!

This the list of marinas I've come up with. The first set we've yet to hear back from, Twin Dolphins we did hear back from and they have a hefty live-aboard fee, but they are still a possibility. The second set are ones that don't allow live-aboards or can't accommodate our beam.

All we really need is a T head or a bulkhead side tie, and we are also willing (as we did with our current marina) to pay for the marina to remove a piling and instant catamaran slip. Our marina was nice because they gave us a price break since we were renting two slips instead of one.

For those familiar with Tampa, look at the list and let me know what I'm missing. The misses is getting depressed thinking nothing will be available. We'll see. Oh, the asterisk is just my little annotation for a large marina (and greater possibility of accommodating us!).

And thank you to everyone for their suggestions so far!

the harborage * twin dolphins * anclote harbors little harbor marina in Antigua Cove clearwater harbor marina * marina jack in sarasota * Gulfcoast Estates in Clearwater davis island yacht club Regatta Point * St Petersburg Municipal Marina * Tampa Yacht & Country Club

No Go's
south pasadena marina, gulfport marina, blind pass marina, lands end marina
Old 12-05-2015, 07:09   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 33

The liveaboard fee at Twin Dolphins is $100 for first person and $50 for each person thereafter. There is a riverwalk that includes a nice park and a skate park right down the walk from the marina. The marina has monthly, seasonal, and yearly rates, and the tax rates vary with each.

Marina Jack doesn't have a liveaboard fee, but your cost will be about the same as Twin Dolphin if not higher. They technically don't have liveaboards since all the docks are written using a 3 month contract. There is a nice little park right at the marina. I would during the season, this would be too far of a drive for you.

I haven't stayed in the other marinas so nothing to add there.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, family