Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 08:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Extending Life of Bimini?

I stand in agreement with Dennisjay regarding the use of less expensive water sealers. I've used the Thompson's Waterseal and the cheaper Ace Hardware sealers that are listed for application on wood, cement, and other surfaces. The Sunbrella representatives suggest that the use of these sealers will decrease the lifespan of their product by embedding dirt particles that will abrade the fabric. I still remain pleased with the less expensive brush on sealers and my Sunbrella continues to last well over ten years. My usual damage comes from chafe points that I try to avoid.

Thinwater's caution about the damage that these sealers can cause to the vinyl windows is important. I don't witness a runoff damage after the sealer drys, but any runs when brushing it on can permanently damage the clear windows and I'm very cautious with the edges.
Old 22-01-2014, 09:23   #17

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
The canvas water-proof sprays are expensive. Years ago I learned from an old salt a cheap and effective alternative — cement sealer. You can buy it at hardware stores. It goes on easily with a brush and dries naturally. I use it about twice a year and my bimini never seems to age.
Can you tell us exactly what you're using? Does it change the appearance? thanks, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 12:28   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Can you tell us exactly what you're using? Does it change the appearance? thanks, Pete
I too, am interested in Dennisjay's answer to your question, but I will toss in that my use of the inexpensive Thompson's or Ace Harrdware's water seal is easily brushed on and it does make the Sunbrella fabric somewhat darker even after drying. It's very effective in restoring the water repellant quality and it seems to last one year to eigthteen months.

Tags
bimini