Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 08:04   #16
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
p.s. I don't think you're nuts!
Hud if you thought that Twisti is nuts then you would be nuts...none of us here is nuts are we?
Old 19-01-2009, 08:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbmob View Post
Twisty - awesome plan, and it sounds like you are one of those folks who can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

My two cents are to reconsider the sailing option, and look at something in the 34 to 38 ft range, that you can single hand if necessary, once your son moves back to land.

While your sailing experience is nil, you already understand so many aspects of operating a boat - the sailing part isn't so difficult. In fact, I think you will find it easy!

A sailboat comes much closer to green, and you will be able to stretch your budget much further. The idea that you can double or triple your internet income is the same trap we fall into when we decide to purchase more house than we can afford. We figure we'll find a way to work harder to cover the difference. This is another form of slavery - and is not why you are attracted to this crusing idea in the first place.

Good luck and you are not crazy!
Thanks for you input swabbmob!

I think, no I know, you are right, a sailboat definitely is greener. see previous post about me being chicken%^$# for more of an explanation.

I know the trap you speak of, I see it everyday, I live on a little island and the foreclosure signs outnumber the permanent residents at this point.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 08:06   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
JC,

We ex-pats have a saying here on Nevis, "Those of us who are here, aren't all there." Draw your own conclusions...
Old 19-01-2009, 08:16   #19
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
The one thing I do know is that s/y The Belle of Virginia is got a great captain

How come one of your interests is photography and we cannot see a single album of your yacth?
Old 19-01-2009, 08:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
JC,

We ex-pats have a saying here on Nevis, "Those of us who are here, aren't all there." Draw your own conclusions...
That's funny! That is the same thing we say here on this little island...
Old 19-01-2009, 09:15   #21

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Twisty,

5' 3" and 110 lbs. is a the perfect size for a boatowner/mechanic....you can get to all those hard to reach places...:-)

My understanding of the bio diesel issues are that some of the gaskets and hoses might need to be changed out, frequent changes of filters after the swap.
Your Charter friend sounds like the best source of feedback, since he's doing it.

Bio-diesel is green as far as I can tell...alot of people are collecting used fryer oils from the foodservice industry and making it. It's the ethanol question that seems debatable; whether or not it takes more energy to produce it; not to mention driving up the cost of food.

Besides a good survey, I'd talk to the insurance company. My current insurance covers me to Jacksonville Florida beyond that I've heard people say their insurance doubles once they locate further south. I'm sure folks here below Jacksonville can expound on that.
Old 19-01-2009, 09:35   #22

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I would try to find something a little bit smaller if I were you because the crew requirements for docking and just general sailing go down, plus you won't be spending as much on maintenence which can run $700-$800 just for the oil, filters and any replacement parts for an engine that size(I am the mechanic on a turbo deisel F-250), also what is your budget, if you take your budget and get something less than it then you will be in good shape. other than that I don't think youre nuts and it sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 19-01-2009, 09:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Twisty,

5' 3" and 110 lbs. is a the perfect size for a boatowner/mechanic....you can get to all those hard to reach places...:-)

My understanding of the bio diesel issues are that some of the gaskets and hoses might need to be changed out, frequent changes of filters after the swap.
Your Charter friend sounds like the best source of feedback, since he's doing it.

Bio-diesel is green as far as I can tell...alot of people are collecting used fryer oils from the foodservice industry and making it. It's the ethanol question that seems debatable; whether or not it takes more energy to produce it; not to mention driving up the cost of food.

Besides a good survey, I'd talk to the insurance company. My current insurance covers me to Jacksonville Florida beyond that I've heard people say their insurance doubles once they locate further south. I'm sure folks here below Jacksonville can expound on that.
It is the perfect size although when the phone rings on a saturday morning I often hestitate before answering then the conversation usually goes something like this.

Hey I am working on my boat today wanna help?
Translation: I can't fit my hand in there to get that can you help me out?

I would but I just had a manicure.

You had a manicure? yeah right!

I'll be right over....

The ethanol question definitely makes biodeisel debatable however at the same time I feel like I am keeping it out of the landfills and reusing fryer oils just seems to make sense, why put something into the ground that can be used to save much more valuable natural resources.

Never knew there were issues with insurance like that, I will definitely check that out!

PS the charter guy had to rebuild one of his detroits last year and as far as I know he didn't do anything differently because of the biodeisel, but I will double check with him for sure.

On a side note, if you ever get stuck in the position that you need to rebuild what he did was hired a detroit guy to come out and rebuild one engine, explaining everything as he went while he vodeo taped it all and then he rebuilt the other one himself. The one the detroit guy rebuilt lastest 3 weeks before it took out the main bearing, destroying the motor completely, the one he built after watching just and following the vid, is still going strong with no issues what so ever... a little inginuity saved him a fortune, but also taught him the detroit lesson. Detroits are great until they aren't.
Old 19-01-2009, 09:53   #24

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Never knew there were issues with insurance like that, I will definitely check that out!
Yes, talk to an insurance company. I use Boat US but there are others.

Is this a wood hull vessel that you're looking at?
Old 19-01-2009, 09:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Yes, talk to an insurance company. I use Boat US but there are others.

Is this a wood hull vessel that you're looking at?
Yep wood hull... That is the one thing that really bothers me about this thing. But it is in the water and hasn't been sitting on land so that makes me feel a little better about it
Old 19-01-2009, 10:00   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You're not nuts. The people who are retired, have the bucks and are physically capable who choose to live the rest of their lives on land are nuts.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 10:00   #27

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I would have it pulled and surveyed and then repaint the bottom and check the planks because over time the planks can shrink or expand and allow water to enter the bilge and rot the frame
Old 19-01-2009, 10:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
I would have it pulled and surveyed and then repaint the bottom and check the planks because over time the planks can shrink or expand and allow water to enter the bilge and rot the frame
Yep my thoughts exactly, I noticed the first time I looked at it the bilge pumps ran a lot more than I would like them to. I spent all summer chasing leaks in my little backwater boat, it sucked. I didn't have rot to worry about so it wasn't as bad as bad as it could have been but I cant imagine chasing leaks on a boat of this size like I was with that. I would be impossible and if not already rotted the frame would rot out before I could take care of them all.
Old 19-01-2009, 10:11   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
<snip>

On a side note, if you ever get stuck in the position that you need to rebuild what he did was hired a detroit guy to come out and rebuild one engine, explaining everything as he went while he vodeo taped it all and then he rebuilt the other one himself. The one the detroit guy rebuilt lastest 3 weeks before it took out the main bearing, destroying the motor completely, the one he built after watching just and following the vid, is still going strong with no issues what so ever... a little inginuity saved him a fortune, but also taught him the detroit lesson. Detroits are great until they aren't.
You'd be amazed how much training is required before a diesel mechanic can fix an engine so that it lasts for only three weeks! It's the mechanic's version of job security.

TaoJones
Old 19-01-2009, 10:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
You'd be amazed how much training is required before a diesel mechanic can fix an engine so that it lasts for only three weeks! It's the mechanic's version of job security.

TaoJones
LMAO

His job security could have been really dangerous, thankfully they were doing sea trials when it blew up. As it was he had to come in through New Topsail Inlet on one engine. For those of you have never been in that inlet it can be tricky in the spring, only 4 ft(he draws 3.5, empty) in some places until they dredge it and there are only bad and worse days in that inlet to begin with.