Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: European Impressions of Cruising the US

Thanks! Sometimes here in the US it's hard to get an "outside" perspective.

Although I agree that a lot of US boaters don't know the COLREGs, most coastal states are trying to enforce some level of basic boater education. It's a start. Also understand that anchor lights and dayshapes are not always required, although it's true they're not always used even when they are.

And for busy harbors like NY, let me just add that COLREGs are only the beginning. You also have to understand that ferries will NOT deviate from their routes, rules or no rules. Post 9/11, it's even worse. Now you're also required to keep a certain distance from them. Hard to do when they're bearing down on you at 20 knots from every direction.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:07   #17

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Great post, Carsten! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. Good read. Gives a new perspective to our stomping grounds.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Great post! I agree with the trip up the Potomac as a highlight. There is also some great cruising in New England in the mid-summers. The great loop is a fantastic exploration of mid america, but you really do need a power boat for that.

There are special anchorages marked on the US charts where anchor lights (and presumably balls) are not required, but most of those have mooring fields. Don't expect to see a lot of anchoring balls in the rest of your trip around the world.

One question for you is about the visa situation. Did you get b1/b2 visas, were they necessary, and what was the longest you stayed on them?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:01   #19

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Hi Carsten

A great read, interesting and really useful. Makes me want to cross the pond and try it. Maybe in a few years! Am storing the link for future reference.

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20   #20

Tak ska' du ha', Carsten.

Can we have a similarly incisive write-up on the Salish Sea, please? It isn't really much of a detour if you are off to the South Pacific anyway, is it ;-)?

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

After all the bad press it is nice to hear something positive about the USA. I agree with all the sentiments about the people being friendly and helpful, all those I have met in the Caribbean & Central America have been. (yet to make it to the US mainland). Only thing I would add is to remind people of the old adage 'to countries separated by a common language'. As a Brit I found it very surprising how different US English is to USA and often misunderstood what people said until I got used to it.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:36   #22

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
SNIP

The ICW flows right through both the Revolutionary War area and the Civil War area (War between the States to you southern types).

SNIP

It is our impression that most American sailors don’t know their Colregs. Especially the motorboaters. They simply have never learned them and you can never be completely sure what action they will take. Most will try to go behind you – even when they should maintain their course and speed. Very disconcerting and it takes some getting used to – especially when they are high speed motorboats. Many also have no conception or simply do not care what the consequences of their wakes are.

SNIP

We’re on our way back to the Caribbean and from there, we’ll exit through the Canal and cross the Pacific – so from here on in, it will be mostly island hopping – at least until we get to New Zealand and Australia.
Thanks for posting an interesting read.

Real Southerners call it "The Late Unpleasantness".

Wondering about how motorboats are viewed across the pond. There seems to be a huge number of big fast motorboats where I sail that you have to simply watch out for and avoid since they have no clue what they are doing. Does this exist at all in Europe.

I have considered doing the ICW but find the Florida West Coast, Florida Keys, Bahamas, and Cuba to have more than enough places I still want to see that I doubt I will ever even get to the Caribbean. There are so many places I would like to see but I seem to get side tracked on the way.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:18   #23

Boat: Grampian 26

I'm a European who lives in Canada. Thank you for your post. It is something I have wanted address for at least a year.

Without a doubt, Americans are the most gracious of neighbours. I too have been offered rides to the supermarket and even the use of their cars from time to time.

It is truly sad that I no longer feel welcome in America. Yes, I am sure if I did visit, that citizens would offer free dockage and a warm welcome as usual, but recent developments have left me, as many others, feeling alienated from our closest neighbour.

Sad.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Real Southerners call it "The Late Unpleasantness".

And here I always thought it was the War of Northern Aggression.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
I'm a European who lives in Canada. Thank you for your post. It is something I have wanted address for at least a year.

Without a doubt, Americans are the most gracious of neighbours. I too have been offered rides to the supermarket and even the use of their cars from time to time.

It is truly sad that I no longer feel welcome in America. Yes, I am sure if I did visit, that citizens would offer free dockage and a warm welcome as usual, but recent developments have left me, as many others, feeling alienated from our closest neighbour.

Sad.
Very sorry to hear you no longer feel welcome in the US. Any particular reason why you feel that way? I sincerely hope it isn't because of your religion, ethnic background or similar.

My experience has always been that visitors from the US north province of Canada were quite welcome.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:46   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some of my best friends...and ancestors .. are danish.
glad you loved it.. icw gulf coast is also interesting and lovely.
how far up hudson did you trek?? my old stomping err sailing grounds for many years was hudson river, north of dutchess county. we sailed out of catskill creek, north and south. 1955-1969
happy sails. sounds like fun!
Hi Zeehag - we spent 5 nights in the marina in Catskill Creek - I expect you would find Catskill sad to visit - it is one of those towns that are dying. They try, but there is no work and all the industries have closed down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:54   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Tak ska' du ha', Carsten.

Can we have a similarly incisive write-up on the Salish Sea, please? It isn't really much of a detour if you are off to the South Pacific anyway, is it ;-)?

TP
Selv tak!

Salish Sea - that is a bit out of the way - we'd love to do it but we have to face the reality - I am 66 years old (vinni a mere sprig of a maiden at 58). We expect to spend at least 3 years in the pacific and then 2 years in the Med. At that point I'll be 72 and I think perhaps it will be difficult for me to manage the rigors of sailing a 40 footer in heavy seas (the safety aspect might be the problem)
The other issue is that no one will give me travel insurance once I'm past 70.

Vinni and I have plans to buy a trawler and criss-cross Europe via the canals and rivers.

We still want to come back and sail Canada

Lots to do - so little time..................

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 05-02-2018, 10:57   #28

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Great post! I agree with the trip up the Potomac as a highlight. There is also some great cruising in New England in the mid-summers. The great loop is a fantastic exploration of mid america, but you really do need a power boat for that.

There are special anchorages marked on the US charts where anchor lights (and presumably balls) are not required, but most of those have mooring fields. Don't expect to see a lot of anchoring balls in the rest of your trip around the world.

One question for you is about the visa situation. Did you get b1/b2 visas, were they necessary, and what was the longest you stayed on them?
We have B1/B2 visas (which are required) If you ask, and the admitting officer gets supervisor approval - you can get a full year stay on them. You can also get a full year cruising license - so the visa is not a problem.

Old 05-02-2018, 13:04   #29

Boat: Lagoon 380

Thanks for your post, I really enjoyed reading it.
Your account has excited me about taking the ICW. We can’t wait to do it. (Still some distance from us,; currently cruising in Australia.)
Please keep posting.
Lukim Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 13:08   #30

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Anchoring balls don’t seem to exist over here – or at least no one hoists them. This is a fabulous business opportunity for someone – get the Coast Guard to start enforcing the Reg saying you need to hoist one
anchoring balls? There are far too many of them as it is. My experience in annapolis I found 100 moorings all designed for 55ft boats and not a single boat. They spoiled the anchorage.

Washington DC also was recently degraded by the addition of mooring balls. The same problem in Boston harbor.
Quote:
draft. Would we recommend this to other cruisers? Damn right we would. Cruisers would need to realize that the ICW is motoring – not sailing. The only area where you really can sail is the Chesapeake – the rest is iron jenny.
Cruisers need to realize that the ICW can be sailed and you don't need a motor.

I sailed the ICW, and many others have as well.
Quote:
We’re on our way back to the Caribbean and from there, we’ll exit through the Canal and cross the Pacific – so from here on in, it will be mostly island hopping – at least until we get to New Zealand and Australia.
Watch the boatyards down there if you think the ones in the US are bad.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Europe, rope