Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 05:47   #1

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Electric toilets

I have two (2) electric toilets that have started to fill with water between uses. Is there a way to adjust the amount of water that goes into a toilet after it is flushed?
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 06:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Electric toilets

The failure of Joker valves, one-way valves, that prevent the flow into the bowl are the most common cause of this condition. We find that we need to replace joker valves every three to five years.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:28   #3

Boat: DeFever 44
Check the vented loops. Ours does that when the siphon release gets clogged,
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 11:54   #4

As the two folks above have said, it's either water coming in from the intake (siphoning in) or coming back through the output (joker valve). Drop some food coloring in the bowl, and flush it into the holding tank. If there's colored water in the bowl in 45 minutes, it's the joker. If it's clear, it's a siphon.

You can also check to see if it's a siphon by shutting the seacock on the intake line.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=rebel heart;1063497]............... Drop some food coloring in the bowl, and flush it into the holding tank. If there's colored water in the bowl in 45 minutes, it's the joker. If it's clear, it's a siphon........../QUOTE]

Oh Rebel Heart,- you're a man of science! I like your thinking skills.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:07   #6

Actually ours siphons back the discharge path, no holding tank, we use a Purasan. I suppose the joker valve if working perfectly might stop that from happening. I've always cleaned the siphon break valve and learned to listen for the air flow on the valve to tell its working. It works about 6 months between cleanings with 2 users......
Old 20-10-2012, 12:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh View Post
Actually ours siphons back the discharge path, no holding tank, we use a Purasan. I suppose the joker valve if working perfectly might stop that from happening. I've always cleaned the siphon break valve and learned to listen for the air flow on the valve to tell its working. It works about 6 months between cleanings with 2 users......
Is yours metal or plastic? I've been eyeballing the plastic ones since the metal one seems to jam up with corrosion.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Is yours metal or plastic? I've been eyeballing the plastic ones since the metal one seems to jam up with corrosion.
It's the bronze Groco vented loop. I think the last cleaning is the last one due to corrosion on the stainless one way valve insert. Lasted 3 years, the last 18 months in liveaboard service. The insert is a replaceable part.

The bronze cap seems to have pipe threads in the vent hole. I'm thinking about extending a foot or so higher with hose and using a different relief valve in the hopes it will stay dry, and therefore last longer. But if I was starting over, I think I'd get the Forespar Marelon one.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh View Post
It's the bronze Groco vented loop. I think the last cleaning is the last one due to corrosion on the stainless one way valve insert. Lasted 3 years, the last 18 months in liveaboard service. The insert is a replaceable part.

The bronze cap seems to have pipe threads in the vent hole. I'm thinking about extending a foot or so higher with hose and using a different relief valve in the hopes it will stay dry, and therefore last longer. But if I was starting over, I think I'd get the Forespar Marelon one.
I had a Groco seacock fail (flange bolt sheered off) after a month of use. I know they're supposed to build "great" products but I'm getting a little tired of dealing with them. Similar results for me with the vent hole on their anti-siphon.

I'll probably grab one of those Forespar ones too. For somethings plastic really is better.

Tags
electric