Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 18:15   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: East Coast vs West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
might wanna call it sacramento river delta so folks know whatye mean
Ecology of the San Francisco Estuary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15-10-2014, 18:23   #17

to me the best west coast is BC or Mexico.... a lot more in BC really so ... hmm..those are a long way apart to choose!
On the east... there's a lot in between unlike the West... and of course the Bahamas. If I wante to cruise near the mainland it would be BC or the Bahamas...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 18:30   #18

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

West coast, though simply because I am here. Have steamed the worlds oceans and I actually like the East Coast as well. It is all good, just different.
Old 15-10-2014, 19:48   #19

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I've only been to the East coast a couple times (traveling be air and land) but each time I could not help but feel like the air quality was poor (OK, the keys and nice air in December). Seemed like the air was heavy and at times could smell it and it was not nice. Was I just unlucky with timing or is it always like that? Or am I just an over sensitive whiner?

The air that blows ashore on the west coast as had to cross the entire pacific ocean first and is as fresh as it gets.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 20:09   #20

Boat: csy 37

Most of the east coast is subject to a prevailing westerly, so the air they breathe has made the 3000 mile journey across the continental USA. And picked up all the prevailing odors as well. But eastern Florida gets prevailing southeasterlies, so the air has come across the Atlantic.

Come on down next time and smell our air....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 21:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
The air that blows ashore on the west coast as had to cross the entire pacific ocean first and is as fresh as it gets.
Yes, take a deep breath. Aaaaahhhh.

Old 15-10-2014, 22:21   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I was born and learned to sail in the PNW. Connie and I have hit just about every port from San Diego to Homer Alaska in our 20+ Years of cruiseing there! Love the PNW for cruiseing. Since leaveing for the Caribe, and ending up here in Louisiana. We have come to really enjoy the easy cruiseing down here! Sure hurrey canes will mess ya up but you have many days of knowing there coming! And as much as we love sailing in the PNW, we sure love the daily sunshine ya get down here !! We find ourselves hanging out in remote anchorages in the Belize area! the diveing and fishing can't be beat !! and ya don't need heavy clothing!! LOL And if you try you can find pretty nice veggies and even some meat down there also !! LOL The one thing to remember is that ya really need a GOOD engine to really be safe cruiseing in the PNW at least north of Vancover! Just my 2 cents
Old 15-10-2014, 22:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
... The one thing to remember is that ya really need a GOOD engine to really be safe cruiseing in the PNW at least north of Vancover! Just my 2 cents
No doubt due to fickle winds.

Old 15-10-2014, 23:23   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I think it all comes down to personal taste. There is just as much sailing on either coast, BUT the east coast has the tropics close at hand. And boat parts are cheaper and more available. Everything I buy online seems to come from the east coast.

Mexico has hurricanes just like Florida and to the south. But you can drive back up from Mexico. The PNW is nice but the season is so short with the N. Pacific becoming violent in the off season.

Southern Cal is nice but expensive with only a few places to go except MX. I think one just gets stuck in one area due to jobs, family or finances. The NE has lots of history and waterways but the winters are icy.

So, one has to set priorities and make the decision.
Old 16-10-2014, 07:56   #25

there is one little detail everyone has not brought up... to reach the PNW from Cali... you have to sail over to HI so you can favorable winds.. and when going from the PNW to Cali.. you better be prepared its a hard sail my friend just came up from long view wash to Tacoma .. most of the time his deck was a wash... But once your up here the beauty is amazing.. Mother nature puts on her best show when you truly have to work to get to where your going..
s.v_Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:21   #26

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We lived and sailed in the San Diego area for 16 years and absolutely loved the weather but there weren't really too many places to "cruise" to. You can't just go drop the anchor anywhere so we would visit marinas in other areas, which is nice but it doesn't get you "away from it all."

Now we're in the Chesapeake Bay and we can go someplace different every weekend, drop the hook for free if we want, and enjoy peace and quiet. Or we can pull up to a city dock in some of the small towns and walk to a nice seafood restaurant or just go sightseeing by foot. Marinas are pretty inexpensive for an overnight if you want to go that route. We could sail to a different restaurant that has a dock each weekend all summer long and never hit the same place twice. There is just so much more to do here. The trade off, short season and crappy weather.

We love California weather and our kids are there too but, given that we want to stick to coastal cruising and short island hops, we have chosen to start our cruising on the east coast. Maybe someday we'll do the west coat again. I would so love to see the PNW by boat. I guess we could always ship the boat there.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:09   #27

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I would so love to see the PNW by boat. I guess we could always ship the boat there.
If I ever tire of boating the PNW I figure the nearest "put in" to the vast river system is Soiux City Iowa. A nice 1500 mile drive on I-90 and then play Huckleberry Finn down to the gulf.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:29   #28

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I would so love to see the PNW by boat. I guess we could always ship the boat there.
Just for grins, here's a link to some photos, mainly from cruising BC and SE Alaska, which we've been doing in our small boat for 20+ summers so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18035626@N05/

Don't have much experience cruising the east coast, except for charter sailing in the Abacos, BVI, and St Martin areas. But sure do love the uncrowded wildness, scenic beauty, critters, and seafood of the PNW coast.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:17   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.v_Patience View Post
there is one little detail everyone has not brought up... to reach the PNW from Cali... you have to sail over to HI so you can favorable winds.. and when going from the PNW to Cali.. you better be prepared its a hard sail my friend just came up from long view wash to Tacoma .. most of the time his deck was a wash... But once your up here the beauty is amazing.. Mother nature puts on her best show when you truly have to work to get to where your going..
Which brings up that the east coast has the ICW, if one is not an off shore boater.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:36   #30

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
If I ever tire of boating the PNW I figure the nearest "put in" to the vast river system is Soiux City Iowa. A nice 1500 mile drive on I-90 and then play Huckleberry Finn down to the gulf.

Steve
Seriously? The Missouri River is navigable by a sailboat all the way to the Gulf? Man the more I learn... That would be an awesome trip in itself...

Tags
east coast, west coast