Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Drivers License for Live Aboard

When I was living in NZ, I was eligible to vote. On the form you can draw a map of where you live in case you do not have a street address.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:50   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Or taking off without something you really need.

Your wife needs a reasonable collection of pots and pans. Any way you can hang the pots, say in a netting hammock? That said, i don't allow anything in my galley that can't do three jobs. They don't all have to be related to cooking, but there are no "preciously cute" items in my galley.
I agree though really we just have a spare engine at the parents. Couldnt pass on the deal. Wife does have nesting cookware. But also a stone crock oven pan thing weighs 15lbs, we have an icemaker , watermaker, genny, etc just alot of stuff. We have gotten rid of so much stuff it is unreal. Last garage sale is next weekend. Longterm any heavy spares the parental units can ship em to us. Looking for a privelege 37 in the next 6-12 months.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I agree though really we just have a spare engine at the parents. Couldnt pass on the deal. Wife does have nesting cookware. But also a stone crock oven pan thing weighs 15lbs, we have an icemaker , watermaker, genny, etc just alot of stuff. We have gotten rid of so much stuff it is unreal. Last garage sale is next weekend. Longterm any heavy spares the parental units can ship em to us. Looking for a privelege 37 in the next 6-12 months.

If she produces tasty food from that 15 lb. wonder my vote would be to find a place for it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43   #19

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

When we lived aboard for nearly 15 years in San Diego and Mexico, we used a PO Box in Nevada and had NV drivers licenses. There are many parts of Nevada that do not have mail delivery so it is very common. Our Port of Call was in Nevada and our vessel documentation was the same NV PO Box # as were our US passports. Why is a PO Box # a problem for a drivers license?
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:47   #20
cruiser

According to a lawyer in Ft. Myers (FL), "Florida now requires that your license have a residential address and you must provide proof to the DHSMV of that address when you obtain the license. Your license must reflect your current address."

Where it can really become a problem is if you get one of those camera-based tickets. In Florida, that mail is not forwarded.They just changed the law. Used to be you had 30 days to pay it, and THEN you could appeal it. Now the payment period is up to 60 days. But if your mail is going to Nevada and you're actually in, say, Fort Lauderdale, the cossts skyrocket once you haven't paid it on time.

That's Florida. Each state will vary.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51   #21

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Many laws became more stringent since 9/11. They were mandated by Homeland Security.

Mauritz
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15   #22

I know in Michigan they wouldn't accept a PO box as "you can't live at the post office".
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:35   #23

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

And if where you live does not have mail delivery does that mean you cannot drive, vote or own a boat? Just curious. There must be locations in Florida that don't have mail delivery or is the entire state paved over with street addresses? Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

since 1995 i have used the address of my favorite chandler in sd..... they are wonderful with my mail, and my caretaker for my ericson goes thru mail for me and keep sup with my stuff there....
once i finally ditch the ericson i will abuse my brother in aidzona .....shows love and trust of siblings ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:53   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
And if where you live does not have mail delivery does that mean you cannot drive, vote or own a boat? Just curious. There must be locations in Florida that don't have mail delivery or is the entire state paved over with street addresses? Phil

As far as I know, every legitimate residence in Florida has a legitimate street address. Even "RFD," or Rural Free Delivery, is tied to a specific residence. Out in the country you will see rows of mailboxes along the road sometimes. Some people have to drive miles to pick up their mail, but their mailbox is tied to their residence.

The suggestion made earlier is the solution in Florida: (with permission of course), use a friend's residence as your mail delivery.

Just think about what happened recently in the news -- Ricin-laden mail sent to several prominent people, including the President. They managed to trace it down.

You only have to get some mail there, just so you can take it in and say "See? I receive mail at this address." You can have 99% of your mail go to a UPS box. You can still have your privacy.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

every post office box from us post office REQUIRES a physical address since 9-11.. st brendons isle and my mail are within those parameters. legally , it is merely a matter of wording

my drivers license has had my fav chandlery as an address since 1995....works well.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 13:19   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Actually, most of the laws preventing the use of a PO Box as your only address without a "Physical" residence stem from legislation passed as a result of Lee Harvey Oswald ordering his gun through a catolog and sent to his PO Box, not the more recent 9/11 event; however, wether from 1963 or 2001 there has not been uniform enforcement. As for physical addresses in Florida, for over a decade now, all the little dirt roads have been given names in order to comply with the requirements of emergengy (911) responders.
Old 17-06-2013, 16:00   #28

Hello there Matee, I learned long ago not to ask or request permission to do what is a natural right. Commercial codes need not apply to the what is in common law standing. You have a commonlawful right to travel and this is upheld in many supreme court rulings. Might I suggest a lesson to shed light on a subject you are inquiring about. god speed and happy travels.
txflyguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 05:58   #29

pirate Re: Drivers License for Live Aboard

To have a drivers license is making a contract with a corporation and when you do this you are giving up your commonlaw rights to travel free with out subjecting yourself to such corporate contracts. I terminated my drivers license a few years back and thank the good loord i did cause the corporation has gotten crazy with the abuses. if you know law you can fight the unlawful codes and retain all your rights in common law jurisdiction other wise you fall subject to corporation and become it's tax slave.
txflyguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 06:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyguy40 View Post
To have a drivers license is making a contract with a corporation and when you do this you are giving up your commonlaw rights to travel free with out subjecting yourself to such corporate contracts. I terminated my drivers license a few years back and thank the good loord i did cause the corporation has gotten crazy with the abuses. if you know law you can fight the unlawful codes and retain all your rights in common law jurisdiction other wise you fall subject to corporation and become it's tax slave.
Hi txflyguy40, Just read your last two posts, interesting. Do you still manage to drive? Also, looking at your member name leads me to think you fly? Without a license?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bust your chops, but am quite curious.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license