Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2012, 16:12   #16

Re: Drivers License

It used to be a lot easier. Back in the '80s in Rhode Island the address on my wife's driver's license was just "Yacht Southerly, Newport Harbor, RI." I used to know a real good 'ol boy in South Carolina who never went into motor vehicle. He just called up someone over there and they would send him his license, or the car registration, or even an inspection sticker whenever he needed one. His new inspection sticker would arrive in the mail and he'd put it on his truck. IMHO all this Homeland Security nonsense does absolutely nothing to deter real terrorists--it just provides lots of hassle for the rest of us, and makes it look like something is being done. Remember, most of the 9/11 terrorists had totally legitimate licenses issued in their real names. Boaters, especially if you liveaboard, will always be round pegs that won't fit into the square holes of bureaucracy.

I have said it on here before--make yourself look exactly like a square peg and your life will be easier. Find a legitimate street address somewhere that you can use for these few critical things like: driver's license, tax home, boat documentation, car registration, whatever. Often a trusted relative is good, or for many it is SBI. Go with the flow works for the wind, the weather, and bureaucracy--all things you can't do anything about.

Old 06-09-2012, 16:29   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell

A lot of people apparently are able to use SBI for their drivers' licenses, so it must be legit..
A lot of people jaywalk, that does not make it legit.

SBI is not a physical address, some places just choose to be nice and let it go and some are ignorant of the service. The ones who don't accept it are following the letter of the law.

Old 06-09-2012, 17:10   #18

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post

SBI is not a physical address, some places just choose to be nice and let it go and some are ignorant of the service. The ones who don't accept it are following the letter of the law.
Fortunately even the ones that follow the letter of the stupid law find ways to work around it considering the huge amount of people in Florida that live on boats or RVs.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 17:29   #19

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Texas does long renewal times (my last one was 10 years!) and on-line renewal.

Lots of of discussion of this topic on CF so also search the forums.
Texas is 6 years, but you can renew every other time online.

In Arizona, I had a 30 year license, but I had to give it up for a 4 year license when I moved to TX.

It's all about the state's cash flow!
Old 06-09-2012, 17:35   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Saint Brendans Isle is a "brick and mortar" establishment with a physical presence far more established than my whimsical movements aboard my boat. If a live aboard cruiser were to attempt any more accurate identification of their location they would have no presence at all! So, are you saying that since "jaywalking" is dishonorable I should not have access to the other side of the street?
Old 06-09-2012, 20:59   #21

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

The State of Florida recognizes your boat as a residence, if you live on it.

Here is the Florida DMV Link explaining how to prove residence.

We use St Brendan's Isle as well and our SBI address appears on our license. SBI will asist you with establishing residence, including filing the appropriate forms with the Clay County Clerk Office

We use the SBI address for everything and have no problems.

We also have a SKYPE Phone Number & Voice Mail Box, which we use as our US Phone Number for banks, credit cards, etc...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:53   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:

Sorry, Greenhand, but you're making a totally incorrect assumption.

Florida does not require you to have a physical address to get a Florida driver license. A Personal Mailbox at SBI is perfectly legal for all purposes (Florida residency, federal state and local voting, driver license, Social Security, IRS, etc.) Check out Tom J's link, above.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:00   #23

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
Sorry, Greenhand, but you're making a totally incorrect assumption.

Florida does not require you to have a physical address to get a Florida driver license. A Personal Mailbox at SBI is perfectly legal for all purposes (Florida residency, federal state and local voting, driver license, Social Security, IRS, etc.) Check out Tom J's link, above.
Yes, I was going by what I remembered from past experience until after I made the post. Oddly, even though they allow for boat documents as a form of proof of residence, the regulations do stipulate "not a PO box" and all other jurisdictions I have lived in consider mail services as PO boxes. Too much moving in my past, but a few of them lay that out explicitly.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

To be clear, a Personal Mailbox (PMB) such as those offered by SBI are not Post Office boxes. That's a subtle but important distinction. Thus, they can be used for all the same purposes that a physical (residence) may be used.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38   #25

Quote:
To be clear, a Personal Mailbox (PMB) such as those offered by SBI are not Post Office boxes. That's a subtle but important distinction. Thus, they can be used for all the same purposes that a physical (residence) may be used.
I'm pretty sure this is not true in all states for things like your driver's license, taxes, and registration, even though it obviously does work in the case of SBI in Florida. To obtain the PMB you have to file a form with the USPS that states your actual physical street address. That is a USPS regulation. I have had some businesses that refuse to ship to a PMB--usually only high-end camera and electronic stuff. With address checking readily available many shippers instantly run your address when you place an order.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I've searched the laws of Florida and cannot find anything that says your address on your drivers license must be a physical residence address. If there is a statute that says this, I would interested to know which one.
It doesn't state that. When you get you license renewed or applying for a new license, you must show proof of a physical address.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17   #27

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Just curious what law your are referring to?

As I understand it... the concern over the mailing addresses and people who do not reconise it came from the US Government's concern in 1999 about mail fraud.

There is no law that I am aware of tht forbids the use of PMB's, just policies of some businesses and government agencies.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:23   #28

As here is a link to the the US Postal Serivce Form 1583 on the St Brendan's Web Site... On the back is the following explaination for residence:

Question:
How can someone who lives in a motor home or on a boat meet the identification requirements?

US Postal Service Answer: The make, model, color, license plate number and state of registration of the motor home
or boat would identify the place of residence.

Therefore,
unless there is an overwhelming reason otherwise, use a description of your vessel or RV and

the appropriate registration/document numbers in block 7 (Home Address).

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25   #29

Quote:
There is no law that I am aware of tht forbids the use of PMB's, just policies of some businesses and government agencies.
The federal Real ID Act requires lots of documentation as to where you actually physically live as well as your citizenship on things like your driver's license. States have been interpreting the act differently. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia page about the act:

Quote:
The DHS final rule[12] regarding implementation of the Real ID Act driver's license provisions relaxes, and in some instances waives altogether, these verification requirements of the Real ID Act. Thus the DHS rule concedes that there is no practical mechanism to verify with the issuers the validity of documents proving the applicant's primary address (such as a mortgage statement or a utility bill) and leaves the implementation of this verification requirement to discretion of the states (page 5297 of the DHS final rule in the Federal Register).[12] However, the DHS rule, Section 37.11(c), mandates that the Real ID license applicants be required to present at least two documents documenting the address of their primary residence.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

...........therefore, the two documents for a liveaboard may be selected among a bill of sale, marina slip contract, payment (mortgage) records, USCG documentation, state vessel registration, or more. Though these can establish a physical residence, they don't establish a stationary residence. When it becomes convenient, though not legally required, to have a stationary residence; then, a service like Saint Brendans Isle can suffice.

Tags
license

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: