Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 15:27   #91

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Dream Boat or go ASAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
lemme see.
35 foot Cat
Everything in reach. Single handed sailing on this side of doable.

VS

SNIP

But I cant handle one when the turds start flying.

I was talking to a friend about how I pick up my mooring ball and he asked if I could do it in twenty knots of wind. When I replied yes and had done so a couple of months ago when a front started coming through then he asked if I could do it in fifty knots with a five knot side current.

At some point I can't handle my boat, but I go to great length to try and avoid those conditions.

But my post was to illustrate that there is lots of cruising one can do in Florida and the Bahamas while only sailing in daylight and still find safe anchorages in very enjoyable locations.

I have no idea what abilities the OP's wife has. But I do know guys with a Lagoon 44 who are quite able to cruise with their wife on much longer passages than one would expect in the Bahamas.

I also know there are ladies like this that put me to shame when I take them out sailing on my boat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4247161036896&set=a.3477685560490.1 09476.1821804264&type=3&theater
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 15:29   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

I also know there are ladies like this that put me to shame when I take them out sailing on my boat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4247161036896&set=a.3477685560490.1 09476.1821804264&type=3&theater
No permission to view the page.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 15:40   #93

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a comment, because I really do not at this point understand why "Following C's" writes that his wife would not do more than 5 day passages. Why has he decided this when she has no experience of cruising? He did write that she likes camping better than he. She might take to cruising like a duck to water, and neither of them can know whether or not she will.

I don't think any grown woman believes there will be no discomfort in her life; further, women can stand up to a lot they don't like if they're committed to their man. I'd go so far as to say it's part of most relationships.

The house + kids business is not a women-only dream. Sometimes it is a choice forced upon women by men, and more often, a joint decision. So, I don't know if the quid pro quo argument posted a ways above would even be valid in this situation, and could turn into a resentment-making blackmail sort of deal.

'Tis a puzzlement.

Ann
Old 04-05-2014, 16:12   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dream Boat or go ASAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I can sail a 52 footer alone, But I cant handle one when the turds start flying.
Actually its not that hard..
I single handed the 440 from Ft Lauderdale to Spain more or less... a 42kg, 4ft 10" lady of the same age as me aint no winch grinding gorilla.. but she did give me 4hrs kip a night keeping watch..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 16:42   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Dream boat or go ASAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Whats wrong with the boat you got?

EDIT never mind…guess its a capital / time issue

Nothing, I plan on going with it, I think, unless I learn something I don't know now and have to have a different boat. Just saying I'm determined to go is all, I want to go with my wife of over thirty years and of course think I will, but if she for some reason digs her heels in and won't, I'll go alone.
Is too big to single hand, at least for someone of my limited knowledge / experience anyway.
I should have enough capitol.
Right now I have seven people living in my house, my Daughter at 15 who is the one I'll wait for to get into school, my 18 yr old Son who should be gone one way or another and my 30 yr old daughter and my two Grandchildren came home to live here until she went to school, she has finished school and is still here. I'm afraid she may still be here until the house goes up for sell. Tough to kick out Grandkids, but I will not sign up to raise them, makes me selfish I know, but don't know what to do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20   #96

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64pilot,

I know I'm thought of as a softie here, but I really think your 30 yr. old would do herself a world of good if she moves out. A brief respite can be really good, but it's really time for her to make her own decisions. Helping her stay "home" will not help her in the long run. She has to find a way to cope without you and your good lady there.

Where I see a potential sticker here is if your wife is unwilling to leave her grandchildren.
I'm pretty sure this is a serious issue. I wish you well with it.

Your boat that you just bought is not a sparkling performer (IMO), but she should serve you well, and should be up to a circumnavigation, or whatever other cruising you have in mind.

I hope this works well for you, mate.

Ann
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36   #97

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Boy how this thread has disintegrated in the last few days.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26   #98

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Thoughts on cruising/liveaboard As Soon As Possible (i.e. all kids off to college), or waiting a few more years to accumulate more cash for the 'dream boat'?

I have a 5 year plan (age 54) that involves a cheaper cat, and a 10 year plan (age 57) that involves a dream cat (although probably still used). There could also be a 3 year plan that says 'chuck it all, buy what we can, and get going.' I'm not sure the wife would ever go for the 3 year plan.

There is also a potential dream boat 5 year plan that involves us running our business from the boat.

Any thoughts or stories to tell here? Anybody go too soon and ruin the experience, anybody wait to long and couldn't go due to health issues?

All the best,
FollowingC's
Definitely go now.
No matter how long you wait and how perfect you think your boat is before you leave, when you start cruising you'll find things that you wish were different....and that's the origin of your next boat

Barrie
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:31   #99

Boat: Leopard 40

I can speak as a person, around your age Following C's, who did decide to sell all and buy now rather than wait. It had everything to do with circumstances and the kind of personalities we have. It hasn't exactly gone as we anticipated either but I wouldn't go back. For me, it was getting like Groundhog day in our oh-so-nice lives in our oh-so-nice-neighborhood and it weighed on me daily (yes, first world problems!). When I totaled my car one day thinking about it all, I decided then and there I didn't want ANY of this stuff anymore. I didn't get another car and started busing/biking to work. We talked to our employers about moving and arranged to keep our jobs. We put the house up for sale, and it sold in one day at our asking price. The stars aligned and we went with it. But I've been financially poor and relatively well-off in my life so far and been happy and unhappy in both. What *enriches me* is experience, and we wanted this one. Our reasons were to go now were:

1. It was our long time dream to travel by boat to new places. We love being in and on the water and wanted a life less ordinary, at least while we were capable and unafraid.

2. My company heard from me for 10 years how I wanted to work remotely so I could live on a boat in the year-round warm. We had a change in management that seemed amenable to remote workers (yay for younger management!) and what I do can be done remotely as long as I have good internet and phone.

3. My husband's company was suspect. We thought that the current management would run the company into the ground, which they did a year later. But while he was employed, our current income was good for financing, which we did do.

4. Kids. Yes, we have them. The hardest thing for me to do was to sell everything and leave Colorado with my daughter unwilling to move with us. She was 20 and I don't blame her. South Florida is not her scene compared to Boulder/Fort Collins. She is in college but I did not feel it was a requirement I remain there because of it. I still help her and she is learning independence. Our step-daughter decided to come with us in the middle of her junior year of HS. I didn't feel too bad about this either because she was struggling socially and we felt a change would be good for her. Special circumstance for us is that my husband's mother lives in in S. FL so we have a 'home base' for her and for us. I consider this a HUGE advantage to us at this time. She graduates next month and will start figuring out what she wants to do.

5. I have stoopid health issues. I am extremely active and healthy except for my immune system is crazy and causes me debilitating joint pain when uncontrolled. I have no idea if I can ever travel for any extended time without medication. For now, cruising around the Bahamas and Florida is everything to me and may be all I get. Living on the mooring, watching sunsets, thunderstorms, wildlife, inviting family and like-minded people to visit is everything. Because we actually got here when no one thought we would.

Our reasons were unique to us and so will yours be. I wish you well in finding your path.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:54   #100

Boat: 47' Cutter

Hi Following C’s

Refering to your original post...

Our plan was to buy the “Dream” boat to go cruising. I was afraid, however, that having executed the then long term plan that I would not actually like the lifestyle at the end of it. Desperation to “get out there” and also my fear that we might never actually “Do It” meant that we fitted cruising gear to our first “Petit Bateau” and set sail. The upside of this was that we knew our boat and gear very well. The refit took longer than I had anticipated (but not my partner!) and our plans were delayed by my partner being out of action with a back problem and his mother dying. The upside was that we had a shakedown liveaboard before setting sail.

We cruised Normandy and Brittany in France and then crossed to Galicia, Spain for 18 months. Having been there, seen it, done it, loved it, I definitely want to do it again and go a bit further...

We returned to the UK and back to land jobs to:-
1) Find the “Next” boat to fulfill only 2 additional requirements; headroom for my 6’ plus partner and a double bed. (well 3, I lied, a little bit more LWL )
2) Top up the cruising kitty.

Did we go too soon? No, we wished we’d done it a lot earlier

Did we do leave it too late? Watch this space for our double dip- “Next” boat is in refit mode now and we aren’t getting any younger...

I would advise GO asap after your youngest goes to college. Lots of “Dream” boats out there with “poor health forces sale” signs. Lots of priceless experience to be had...

Fair winds and good health.
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:48   #101
cruiser

My suggestion, buy a decent boat and start cruising part time asap. The problem many have including us, is that while in our late 50's we are in our max earning years and the income is hard to pull yourself away from... at least in our case, my wife can't extract herself from her job. Financially we can... but emotionally she won't. She talks about continuing work until age 65... which will be way too late judging by family medical history. It's a HUGE obstacle along with medical insurance coverage worry (here in the US); imagined, but not real.

So for now, I enjoy the 5 months of cruising that I have and hope to extend to 6-7 months next season. If it was up to me alone... I would be out cruising/traveling full time 12 months/year, nothing holding me here (actually I hate living here). My wife's job is the 2 ton anchor that I'm sick of hearing about.

A good friend of mine is a grief counselor for a hospice organization. I asked him recently what people express on their death beds most often as their biggest regrets. "Plans they put off thinking they had more time."

Everyone runs out of time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:22   #102

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, I'm kind of in the same situaton as the original poster. The question I have is concerning chartering boats. After I get my ASA certification later this summer, I would like to start chartering a boat and sailing for a week or two at a time to really discover if this is the lifestyle I want before I sale everything and go for it. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it cost to charter a 30 t0 36 ft. vessel for that time period? Also, I would like to pay a captain to join us on the first trip to help with the learning process. What's the typical cost of a captain? I would be chartering and sailing the Florida Keys area. Thanks...
Rsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:15   #103

First, I would not charter in Florida when the sailing is much better in the Caribbean. If you are going to charter on a regular basis, that is the place to go. The BVI's are easy to sail with mostly eyeball navigation.

As for hiring a captain, you can call the Moorings to get a ball park price. Another option is to pay a friend's expenses to the boat to captain the boat for you (if he is qualified). I know people out of state who take me with them down to the British Virgin Islands on charters to serve as captain and it works out for them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:27   #104

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Back to the Subject Question, "Dream Boat or go ASAP?" For us to go ASAP, is just not realistically possible unless either bad things happen or we get really lucky, meaning we win the lottery.

Later,
Dan
Dan, great post. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It is therapeutic to know that others are following the same path as us. After reading various books, and everybody saying 'we wish we'd gone sooner', in all reality, it just won't work for us. Like you've said, no sense wasting money on a boat we couldn't take full advantage of. Plus, maintenance one you live aboard is just in the daily routine.

All the best, FollowingCs
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:42   #105

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Just a comment, because I really do not at this point understand why "Following C's" writes that his wife would not do more than 5 day passages. Why has he decided this when she has no experience of cruising? He did write that she likes camping better than he. She might take to cruising like a duck to water, and neither of them can know whether or not she will.

I don't think any grown woman believes there will be no discomfort in her life; further, women can stand up to a lot they don't like if they're committed to their man. I'd go so far as to say it's part of most relationships.

Ann
LOL, I agree!!!! I think she will take to it, and be very good at it. I've seen her give birth 3 times, and 2nd and 3rd like it was nothing but a cramp. Pop. Kid.

She loves to travel, explore, hike and camp. She was a travel agent for many years and traveled all over. Her nickname is 'Sparky', after Chevy Chase in the Vacation movies.

She's the one who's been reading up on it more and more, and told me I better be prepared to buy her plane tickets to meet up later. I'm just trying to accommodate whatever she wants in order to get her to try it, cause I think she'll enjoy it even more than I will.

All the best, FollowingCs
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa