Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02   #16

Re: Dream boat or go ASAP?

Depending on where the kids are in the process, I would say plan on a year (3 is pushing it, get focused and go.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of the folks with a 10yr plan never head out. You get older and slower. The knees and the hips go. You get caught up in adding that one last thing but three is always another "last thing" on the list. People just get sidetracked on the next idea. Father-in-law was ready to do the same thing in his new 5th wheel at age 60. He was healthy with a nice pension and ready for fun...then he was diagnosed with ALS and was gone 10 months later.

The smaller boat is not only cheaper to buy, it's typically cheaper to maintain, store and operate. Go smaller and you need less.

What got us moving (aside from seeing my Father-in-Law go) is we set up a budget based on selling the house, the cars and most everything else, getting debt free...and suddenly $25-30k/yr buys a very nice lifestyle (admitedly it has shifted a bit since we started but the principal still holds true)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dream boat or go ASAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

EDIT: 53% of people over 61 years of age have a chronic remainder of life disorder.
Tell me about it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
EDIT: 53% of people over 61 years of age have a chronic remainder of life disorder.

Well at risk of drifting further, wtf is a reminder of life disorder?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13   #19

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Get a cheap boat NOW. Not one you will cruise on.
Learn the ins and outs of boat ownership and cruising (short term).

Correct, my boat ownership experience is only small fresh water craft that we haul out on trailers and wash in the car wash stalls.

As an engineer and businessman, I've done some homework, from videos to forums to interviews with now friends that have boats (all cats, no mono-hull friends yet). I even have a good relationship with someone who ran his boat on charter, so I have all his spreadsheets with expenses/repairs/fees for his type of boat. I've talked with several folks who chartered alot before they decided to cruise, and I've talked with land-lock people (most Canadians for some reason) who just decide to do it with no experience at all.

The 'cheap boat NOW' has problems partially because I'm southern Ohio. Not much I could do with it if I had it. It also has the minor/major problem of having to convince my wife to actually come along - I need it to be 'nice enough' so she doesn't freak out.. lol. I love the idea of 'proof of concept' that you are talking about, believe me that's right up my alley, I'm just not sure we'll get to do it before we jump in.

But your last quote is the one that hits home the most. When you start going to more funerals than weddings, the mind gets moving a bit faster on how to make this happen.

All the best,
FollowingCs
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Can range from something serious like diabetes, heart condition etc, to something not so serious like arthritis, knee issues, or cussin.

They don't call it the ** 50's for nuthin;

WTF yu self.

EDIT: Yes, stupid spell checker…see next thread
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19   #21

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
chronic remainder of life disorder, not reminder

This is a disease or disability that you will be stuck with the rest of your life that typically limits your abilities.

And sadly, I don't think it is 'drifting further' at all, but is the heart of the discussion really.

All the best, FollowingCs
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:25   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
But your last quote is the one that hits home the most. When you start going to more funerals than weddings, the mind gets moving a bit faster on how to make this happen.
Having watched my old folks struggle "comfortably financially retired", I see that the end state makes it all a farce. There's no such thing as "comfortably financially retired", you will suffer painfully and possibly loose your sense of self or mind and certainly all your friends along the way to the other side.

Yet, just going also has its own "realistic slap in the face", so it seems to me something prudent in planning needs to be considered. Something. Anything.

Believe me, I almost threw in the towel last week w/o enough capital. I would never be able to come back to market if I did. I am too old in my career.

The POC approach I still think is doable in Ohio. Get a lake boat. Not too far to travel once a month me thinks.

Or…get ASA certs and go charter.

Just do something.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:36   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
SNIP

It also has the minor/major problem of having to convince my wife to actually come along - I need it to be 'nice enough' so she doesn't freak out.. lol.

SNIP
Just met a nice German couple who bought a boat in Ft. Myers and spend a week sailing and getting to Boot Key. The wife will not drive the tender alone and does not like to get wet. She also likes to take long fresh water showers. The husband told me they had been alone on the boat with not a step on land and if things did not change they would be getting a divorce.

They were expecting to quickly leave for the Bahamas. Problems were no charts, a 20 gallon water tank and no water jugs, no fuel jugs, limited provisions, and no blue water experience.

Perhaps more to the point you may only be a little better off than your wife in terms of showering by jumping in the ocean, climbing on a sugar scoop, soaping up with Dawn, jumping back in the ocean to rinse, and then back on the sugar scoop to rinse off with a pressure spray fresh water bottle. And that's just for starters.

The right boat can make things a lot easier, but things like long hot water showers, AC, and changing into fresh clothes every day are out of a lot of folks price point for a boat.

Not trying to discourage you. I love living on my boat, but I also understand you have to give up lots of things you take for granted on land.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46   #24
cruiser

lifestyle and psychological acclimation should not be under-estimated. Its a big issue and needs considerable time.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48   #25

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would go as soon as practical..the big issue is if you are still working you lose all that income now that can't be made up later.
I wouldn't keep working just to get a bigger boat.
I'd only make sure you can be OK when you get back to land after the rescue,
as the donation kitty at best is only $20k!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:01   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dream boat or go ASAP?

I'd suggest you get something like this Iroquois 30 now.. one in good nick and spend some years sailing safe comfortable waters with scenic stops on the hook and close to amenities like decent showers and restaurants while you break the wife in and gain in skills and experience.. its big enough to do some decent coastal runs (many have crossed oceans) and put up the odd visitor or two.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06   #27

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery. If you want to go and you are able to go then run with it.

Carpe diem dude.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09   #28
cruiser

Sailing Schools - Learn to Sail with American Sailing Association | ASA

cool classes, get offshore experience, go charter

go anytime.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16   #29

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I say your biggest problem is your wife.. You really need to start discussing this with her and make her a part of it. I've been told by countless cruisers that one partner "dragging" the other along is a recipe for disaster.

Just some food for thought. If you have even the start of a 3 year plan, its time to involve your wife.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:17   #30

Boat: Island Packet 380

Quote:
I have a 5 year plan (age 54) that involves a cheaper cat, and a 10 year plan (age 57)
I think you should wait at least 10 years, heck perhaps even 15 years, because with how you age, as time goes by you will get younger and younger than the rest of us

I think you need to give us your secret for only aging 3 years in a 5 year time span

Of course, I am only giving you crap. Go now!

Tags
asa