Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-10-2014, 11:44   #136

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Dream Boat or go ASAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Thanks for everyone's thoughtful posts. Returning from the boat show">Annapolis boat show this weekend, we saw an accident on 71 North, where a young 20-something year old girl was killed. We actually saw them covering up the body on the other side of the highway. It was sad.

Just prior to the boat show, we got some news from friends of ours. They have been live aboard since 2007, and cruising the Caribbean yearly returning to Florida. They had planned a Panama canal passage this fall, and I was possibly going to help them crew, but now he is going through cancer treatment stuck in Florida for at least a year. Hopefully they can get back out there.

The great news from the boat show is that 'The Admiral' was very engaged talking with people, and asking ownership questions about the boats. It was nice to see her firmly engaged. It also helped that every other Admiral that she talked to had the same story... "my husband dragged me in to this, it took about 2 years to convince me, I wish we would had done it sooner..."

We are now definitely on the 'go ASAP' track. We looked at new boats, but we both drive 10 year old cars, so we are fine with 'new to us, but functional'. We have some planning to do, some finances to get in order, some downsizing to occur, and one more kid to get out of high school and off to college (or she might come with us and take a year off school.), but we are definitely on the 'go ASAP' path.

We've also redefined our idea of 'perfect' boat, which is helpful.
1. probably a catamaran. just couldn't get the Admiral to like the monos, or sailing at 5 degree tilt. Annapolis also got a little bumpy right when she was on several of the monos.... the sailing gods spoke....
2. definitely used, probably older so we can go faster (i.e. cheaper).
3. storage
4. water maker
5. systems I can fix myself

as for all the other stuff - manufacturer, solar vs. non, saildrive vs shaft, etc etc - i'm just not going to worry about until we are actually looking at boats ready to make offers, and then we'll weigh the trade-offs.

All the best,
~Following C's~
Wife can't stand the 5 degree tilt hey

Yep, stick with a cat

Old 15-10-2014, 12:56   #137

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
One of my favorite similar quotes "Never let perfect be the enemy of good".
Good Enough IS Perfect

What is good enough can be the hard question, particularly with no actual experience. But it does make a great excuse to never do it,
and for many that is actually the right choice! Because let us now consider how many people go and return after 2-3 years or even less. Almost all of them.

And I'll repeat again that learning to sail is easy, the rest, the living part, the fixing part, is what is challenging.

Old 15-10-2014, 15:03   #138

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post

We've also redefined our idea of 'perfect' boat, which is helpful.
1. probably a catamaran. just couldn't get the Admiral to like the monos, or sailing at 5 degree tilt. Annapolis also got a little bumpy right when she was on several of the monos.... the sailing gods spoke....
5 degrees of heel on a mono? Man, you're not really sailing unless the rail is in the water! ;-) Don't tell the Admiral that.
Old 15-10-2014, 15:04   #139

Dreaming of boats isn't about sailing. It's about having an impressive toy. That's why it must be shiny and up to date.

If you like to sail and explore you get whatever boat you find on the market, maybe the cheapest one which will feel safe enough, and go for the dream.

After some time, you may buy comfort, or you may work simplicity.But this is, for a sailor, after the first rush is over, because only then you will know how things are going. You may sell the boat, buy a house and spend hollidays chartering.

And sitting on a boat, doesn't matter how fine the boat is, doesn't mean sailing or living aboard. You just feel different, that's all. And maybe more important than you would think of yourself if living in a caravan (basically the equivalent of a boat for asphalt lovers).

Sailing may also mean just windsurfing in a gentle breeze or a strong Meltemi. You don't need a cat to do it.
Old 15-10-2014, 18:01   #140
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'd recommend you downsize the "admiral" if she doesn't know jack about boats and you're already referring to her as admiral you might as well give up now!
Old 15-10-2014, 18:15   #141

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'd recommend you downsize the "admiral" if she doesn't know jack about boats and you're already referring to her as admiral you might as well give up now!
Man, that's hard to do. I would be ok with going really basic, but I would likely be sailing alone.
Old 15-10-2014, 18:44   #142

Re: Dream boat or go ASAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Seriously thinking of heading out west and driving a truck on the oil rigs. Save like a man possessed, and when all my ducks are in a row...buh-bye!!
That is a good plan. Very similar to mine however i probably don't save as much as I should It gets pretty boring working remote you need to kick up your heals occasionally

I thought of setting off a couple of years earlier with a cheaper boat, but I would rather work a bit more and get something that can take me further both in miles and years.

Tags
asa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: