Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 13:42   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread. After all when you go to someone's house isn't one of the first things you ask is "Can you show where you hide your safe?".

Boaters find boats interesting, even the boats they don't even like.
Thanks for jogging my memory on this one. On the boat, being asked where our safe is, and also once, having a guy show us his (on aluminum alloy sailboat, where it had been built in.)

Totally astounding.

But even wierder was one German guy on a boat of American design, who bragged of having $3,000 cash (US dollars) aboard. That cash subsequently was missing, and he was understandably annoyed, but there sort of seemed to be a cause and effect relationship there.

Maybe I should go back to my old tag: there's a lot of craziness in the world.
Old 30-03-2016, 13:48   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWebXperienZ View Post
No security at these docking places? I had nothing to do and all day to do it in Santa Barbara last week so I went to the marina to check out boats. I had to walk in behind somebody that had a gate pass thingy to unlock the gate. So I walk all around, not bothering anybody, looking at interesting boats... when I left I had people surreptitiously photoing me, photoing my car as I drove away, damn, I felt like a hit was taken out on me... I would have liked to ask them if they were hired by the marina or just some cartel guys with boats... but I thought better of it!
I am not a bit surprised. The people who belong in there all know each other, and recognize a stranger. It sounds to me as if they felt you were casing the joint.

Ann
Old 30-03-2016, 14:07   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroar View Post
AND, I forgot to mention, I will definitely bring the adult beverage of your choice. (To enjoy in the cockpit, of course!)
Thanks That reminds me -- I was really lucky that I felt very comfortable with the folks in Alaska because we spent April through August in southeast where it was constantly raining. Had to let them inside the boat sometimes.

Kinda different up there though, there you are in the middle of nowhere and there's a state float that sometimes doesn't even have a ramp to go to land, it just is anchored to the bottom. So you tie up for free, and along comes another cruiser or a fishing boat or a trawler or whatever. So there you are, in the pouring rain, having a dock party on a dock not attached to land with a bunch of people you don't know from Adam, who, overall, are amazingly nice people.

The party would go from inside the boats during the downpours to outside during a lull. Back and forth. The pattern became somewhat typical that if at one of these docks I'd make bread and cookies (lots of ingredients aboard for that), someone would pull out some salmon--there was always salmon being caught or in someone's freezer, someone else would make something different, and we'd all find whatever drinks we had aboard to BYOB unless one of the boats was a fishing boat and then, man oh man did they have...interesting...and large quantities of food and drink aboard. Lovely time with lovely people. They're less interested in your boat and more interested in telling you fishing stories or trying to convince you to get some timber from the government and make a "float house" in some backwater up there.

I can say it was so great to be traveling around where nobody really seemed to care what sort of boat you were on. There were tiny boats from those crazy French folks (solo) who live in the South Pacific but decide to do a Pacific loop every once in a while. We had a couple megayachts at anchor near us in different places--one guy at one of the state-float dock parties (called Swanson Harbor but it was no harbor) with a brand new 80 ft huge trawler that he'd flown the family out from Boston to pick up in Puget Sound--and they were seeing Alaska before motoring through the Panama Canal and going back home to MA in time for the next school year to start.

It was a great experience all in all -- and while we did get buzzed by a drone from a kid on a megayacht-- nobody, that's right, NOBODY asked to see my underwear drawer.
Old 30-03-2016, 14:12   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Put up a nice sign by your boarding gate that says "BOAT TOURS: $25 adults, $15 children under age 8 (ID required), no senior discounts." NEXT TOUR BEGINS AT 2PM. Cash Only.
For $25 I would run the tour anytime! 2am no problem.

And they can use my heads and look in the bulges for the price. Hell, they could even do my washing up.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 14:37   #50
Marine Service Provider

Don't open that locker!

This topic isn't about the unwanted boardings. See link in op for that. This one is only about people asking for tours or opening drawers and lockers while aboard as a guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-03-2016, 14:41   #51
cruiser

People, quit whining. You're lucky to have such "problems."

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 14:45   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
This topic isn't about the unwanted boardings. See link in op for that. This one is only about people asking for tours or opening drawers and lockers while aboard as a guest.

Sorry for the thread drift, SC, my apologies.

Maybe a sign, "Look, but don't touch!", for the people you allow aboard your people magnet boat. Still think your solution was a good one, though.

Ann
Old 30-03-2016, 15:16   #53

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I guess I'll put off that varnish work for another year. She must not be pretty enough to cause that kind problem.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:21   #54

Hello,

I am not surprised by the troubles that some of you may have with visitors especially because they are inclined to poke around your craft. I may be able to offer something to consider...

Were you to find yourself with a chance to visit the International Space Station or get a tour of the first habitable space on Mars, would you not be even bit curious about it? I know I would. For folks who don't 'boat', your home is viewed as a possession; as such, it is nearly such a curiosity to them as the space station would be to us (and for the same reason). We see it for the technology, not so much as a residence.

They may not know why but humans are curious beings. Granted, the better ones are respectful and polite. I know of plenty of people who have the same kind of feelings about show cars. These fans admire the differences in the time, care, and attention that is put into a commodity vehicle. To many, an automobile is just something to drive. To some, well... Dozens of magazines are available on what cars mean to others. My guess is that you don't read any of them. Nothing wrong with that either. If you did though, you might get why people like to look at boats...

Kindest,

Sundae Driver...
Old 30-03-2016, 15:26   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sorry for the thread drift, SC, my apologies.

Maybe a sign, "Look, but don't touch!", for the people you allow aboard your people magnet boat. Still think your solution was a good one, though.

Ann

No problem. I was thinking your story had value to the other thread.

You're lucky your husband does the vetting before they get close to boarding your boat. We, like you, anchor further out than other boats and that helps a lot. Our boat is by no means Bristol, it's just interesting in it's own old fashioned way which of course attracts curiosity but I never realized how forward and rude people can be.

You know, the whole toddler thing is a topic for a whole 'nother thread too. I've got plenty to say there....😳

Old 30-03-2016, 15:38   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Driver View Post
Hello,

I am not surprised by the troubles that some of you may have with visitors especially because they are inclined to poke around your craft. I may be able to offer something to consider...

Were you to find yourself with a chance to visit the International Space Station or get a tour of the first habitable space on Mars, would you not be even bit curious about it? I know I would. For folks who don't 'boat', your home is viewed as a possession; as such, it is nearly such a curiosity to them as the space station would be to us (and for the same reason). We see it for the technology, not so much as a residence.

They may not know why but humans are curious beings. Granted, the better ones are respectful and polite. I know of plenty of people who have the same kind of feelings about show cars. These fans admire the differences in the time, care, and attention that is put into a commodity vehicle. To many, an automobile is just something to drive. To some, well... Dozens of magazines are available on what cars mean to others. My guess is that you don't read any of them. Nothing wrong with that either. If you did though, you might get why people like to look at boats...

Kindest,

Sundae Driver...

You know the odd thing is that this is NOT non-boaters we're talking about. In general the rudest people have been other boaters who really should know better.

The oven, locker, cabinet opening people and those who start down the companionway without an invite are Boaters! The non boaters are frequently full of questions and do ask for tours but are not so pushy. You're right that they will innocently open doors and drawers- and that is why we keep them outside- walk around the deck and talk about the rig and sailing. After a polite tour of the deck and discussing sailing the boat we can usually send them happily away. The boaters want more.

Old 30-03-2016, 16:03   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Cool Re: Don't open that locker!

We don't get many guests.

Her....
Put some drawers on, we've got visitors.
Me....
Just send 'em down, I need help with the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	121697  
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:58   #58

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Before I had my own boat/project, I took a week-long sail in the Abacos. The rest of the crew were amazed at my tendency to take the dinghy around the anchorage, chat fellow sailors up, and get a tour of their boat. Same thing in Marinas - most boaters are pretty gracious to show off their homes to someone interested in boat design and layout and just be sociable. However, even when offered the tour, which I almost always took up, I never would open a drawer or peak into anything that was 'closed'. Usually just sitting in the cockpit, getting a good peak into the saloon and seeing the general layout, and enjoying the conversation was enough. I am amazed at the reports of such dumbassery.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 21:18   #59

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread. After all when you go to someone's house isn't one of the first things you ask is "Can you show where you hide your safe?".

Boaters find boats interesting, even the boats they don't even like.
I don't mind, it's bolted down and it really heavy. Sure slows the boat down though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160330_210656_721.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	121725  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:52   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

IIRC Crockett's home in Miami Vice was an Endeavor sailboat. (Actually, two were used, ine was cut down the middle to allow filming below.) And Crockett solved the "uninvited guest" problem by his pet, Elvis, who lived below on the boat.

Dust off those memories, there's no guest problem while Elvis is still "in the building".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote