Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 12:06   #106

Boat: 1984 Cal 31
Re: Don't open that locker!

I think there is a difference between hailing someone in a cockpit, asking a few general questions, and getting invited aboard, which then happens to lead to a peak below, all at the owner's initiation, versus what you are talking about. Yes, I like looking at boats and houses. If offered, I will happily accept. (Boat shows are fun, but almost all are brand new, and really out of my reach. I should have visited the brokerage boats at boat show">Annapolis Boat Show, but maybe next time.)

Anyway, it seems that some folks invite themselves aboard your boat. I think for the dummies out there, a sign is warranted. For the rest, either don't invite them or politely decline requests when asked. You don't want them poking around. I get it. I think it is more than 'looking in lockers'. So just lock the lazarettes and don't invite them aboard. Am I missing something? This seems to be common sense - set barriers that meet your desires.

I know this is the internet and tone is hard to come by. I hope mine doesn't come across as snarky, as it isn't intended to be. I am just struggling to see why you have this problem.

It would probably help if you sailed an older Benecatahuneau, or other common production boat, as they/we don't draw nearly the interest that your boat draws. Although on my trip in the Abacos, I did visit with a Catalina 47 and 36, and at least 4 Juneaus.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:37   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Steve, you're not really missing anything and I don't take you to be snarky. Not at all.

We're as friendly as the next boater, smiling and saying things like "lovely boat" while WALKING past a boat, not lingering to chat it up with the owners.
We do talk with people who stop by to talk. Yes.

Regarding our privacy, we've drawn a polite line and will, with a smile and not making a big deal about it, just tell people who overtly ask for a tour (and they do) "it's our home and we choose to protect our privacy" or "there's a lot of projects going on and it's too much of a hassle to clear the way for visitors" or "it's nothing special and it's pretty messy/dirty/whatever right now."

The boundaries (opening lockers and such) that are breached have come when we casually invite someone in the anchorage for drinks or a meal. We no longer make those invites OR we "bar the door" and literally just don't allow people to visit beyond the cockpit. That works well in good climates and when both boats are near one another.

I have learned that just keeping the stranger OFF the boat is the best policy--and at most giving them a deck tour is all they get whilst chatting about boats, etc. There's another thread about people boarding boats w/o permission and all that. This thread was intended to talk more about the boundary crossing of people who you've allowed onto and into your boat and the nutty stuff they seem to do. I was blowing off steam by joking about it.

Beware though. When you make comments about a boat being spiffy so therefore the owners shouldn't complain...(about inappropriate behavior of strangers I presume) it's alot like people who justify wolf calls and whistling after a pretty girl walks by. Not everything is done to attract attention of others.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:58   #108

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I can not even fathom the discussion of going into draws. I've had some grand tours of people proud of their vessel. Opening a draw sounds over the edge. What are we speaking of asking dirt bags aboard?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 14:06   #109

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, Mrs. SC, I'm totally with you on the oven openers, and locker lookers--I'd feel extremely invaded and annoyed.

And, since your boat is so well restored, she really IS a people magnet, so no matter where you go, some folks are going to be attracted. Therefore, you have a greater opportunity than most of us to start educating the public that some of the boats they see--including yours--is also your home. They will be amazed, and then you can tout the ecological soundness of it. And if you go on long enough, they will want to go away, but you've told them boat homes need to be respected like land homes. You have here, an opportunity to do "good" in the world and help others as well as getting rid of the looky loos..

Ann
Old 12-04-2016, 15:10   #110

Just to balance the table a bit.
I remember once declining a invite to come and have a look at a proud owners boat, he got pretty upset, walking down the docks that has happened a few times actually but this one dude was memorable with his rituals of being offended.
I don't mind a invite for a beer or a cup of coffee from a semi stranger if the person is interesting and got to meat them off the boat before hand, you know normal, but why on earth would I want to go and have a guided tour of some production boat I have probably seen 10's of times before just to note all the same faults are in in this particular one also.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking all around custom ultralights or aluminum racers if they spanking new, out of professional interest.
Also love looking up the lines of some beauty of a classical wooden boat but that is best done from a bit of a distance to soak it all in.
On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 20:21   #111
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Water View Post
Just to balance the table a bit.
I remember once declining a invite to come and have a look at a proud owners boat, he got pretty upset, walking down the docks that has happened a few times actually but this one dude was memorable with his rituals of being offended.
I don't mind a invite for a beer or a cup of coffee from a semi stranger if the person is interesting and got to meat them off the boat before hand, you know normal, but why on earth would I want to go and have a guided tour of some production boat I have probably seen 10's of times before just to note all the same faults are in in this particular one also.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking all around custom ultralights or aluminum racers if they spanking new, out of professional interest.
Also love looking up the lines of some beauty of a classical wooden boat but that is best done from a bit of a distance to soak it all in.

👍

I usually decline the offer of a boat tour but only because I know I would not offer a (perhaps expected) reciprocal tour of my boat to that person. The full exception is owners of similar wood boats to mine (old and needy boats that were rebuilt) who have also done diy work as we have done. If they're not creepy or something that is....😳

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-04-2016, 23:50   #112

Security implications

(this is slightly off-topic, but is still related, so I bring this up)

There have been many comments here about people taking an interest in your boats and then asking for information, tours, etc. To me this has implications regarding security.

One of my previous boats was rather pretty and got attention... too much. I've also spent much of my life living in third world and risky areas - areas where just being a white guy draws attention.

So my current boat (in design stage) is specifically being designed with a commercial look to it, rather low key, but certainly not a "yacht." This is also for personal preferences, not just security reasons. In any case, my instinct is to be low-key.

There must be others out there who have received unwanted attention in certain areas, remote locales, etc.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 08:20   #113

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

I would not expect nor would I invite someone into my home that just walked up and started asking about it and for a tour.
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote