Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-04-2016, 09:15   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We always feel bad if anything is amiss with boat or car as I'm the daughter of a diesel mechanic married to the grandson of a diesel mechanic--both of us originally from the Great Lakes region where people ARE pretty nice. We should buddy boat-what do you bring to the convoy? Will you protect me from the underwear drawer opening looky Lous?
Got yourself a deal

Old 03-04-2016, 18:32   #92

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Hi all,

Thank you for the interesting thread, ... study of human nature. I showed a small "for sale" sign on my live aboard Herreshoff for a few years, naively hopeful of some fool paying an amount reassuringly in excess of the market value as advised by brokers.

But, who was the fool? The number of times, maybe once a month or so, a prospective buyer, always an executive type, always with an attractive looking partner, would knock on the hull, express interest and ask for a tour, which I generally provided, at least the first few times. The prospect, always hugely impressed, and with the partner clearly excited and clutching his arm, would then confirm that my asking price was reasonable and affordable, check that it was fine to leave his new Merc or whatever in the Marina parking, and then ask for a sea trial, immediately.

(The Sports Car would often be Red)

I'd like to say I never fell for it, but I may have, once or twice.

But soon I realized that the cars were probably leased for the day, and the "prospects" were just big noting in front of a new date.

If only I had read this thread then, I would have considered adding underneath the "For Sale", in small print: "Sea Trial $300 per hour". I reckon it might have generated a bit of spare cash now and again, or at the very least least provided the entertainment of the tire kickers in front of their fancy girls.

Old 03-04-2016, 19:35   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
.................................................. ......

If only I had read this thread then, I would have considered adding underneath the "For Sale", in small print: "Sea Trial $300 per hour". I reckon it might have generated a bit of spare cash now and again, or at the very least least provided the entertainment of the tire kickers in front of their fancy girls.
Finally, THE Answer for all those dumb "Should I charter my new-to-me 43 foot ketch rigged sloop gaff cutter solent big sailboat out before I learn how to sail it and how do you charter, exactly?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 20:12   #94

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
I had my boat for sale last summer...partly due to lack of crew, and I was getting bored of sailing alone. So when a guy answered my ad and came to view the boat, I INSISTED on taking him on a sea trial.

One guy came another day, and really liked the boat, said his girlfriend would love it, but admitted he had no money. I suggested we take a full afternoon sea trial that weekend, and they should bring swimsuits and lunch. It was a great day of sailing...I demonstrating anchoring, swimming off the stern, and making coffee in the galley. They didn't buy the boat, but I know they are hooked on sailing now.

Several others came from out of town for sea trials...some of them are CF members who are reading this now, and blushing. It was all great fun, until one guy bought the boat. Now all I have is a pile of cash, and nothing to sand/paint/clean/$$$/etc.
Old 04-04-2016, 13:50   #95
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I had my boat for sale last summer...partly due to lack of crew, and I was getting bored of sailing alone. So when a guy answered my ad and came to view the boat, I INSISTED on taking him on a sea trial.

One guy came another day, and really liked the boat, said his girlfriend would love it, but admitted he had no money. I suggested we take a full afternoon sea trial that weekend, and they should bring swimsuits and lunch. It was a great day of sailing...I demonstrating anchoring, swimming off the stern, and making coffee in the galley. They didn't buy the boat, but I know they are hooked on sailing now.

Several others came from out of town for sea trials...some of them are CF members who are reading this now, and blushing. It was all great fun, until one guy bought the boat. Now all I have is a pile of cash, and nothing to sand/paint/clean/$$$/etc.
When we sold our previous boat, a Rawson 30, we took the owner-to-be and his girlfriend out for an afternoon sail. Interestingly, they were the first folks to look at it and they bought it quickly, that day. Musta' under priced it But, after the sale, we ended up sailing with them aboard the boat a lot. My husband and I joked in the first year that we seemed to spend more time sailing that boat with the new owners than when we owned it! After all, they were maintaining it and we were just sailing with them.

When you're selling a boat, it is really nice to take the buyers-to-be out on a sail. Good for you to know your boat is going into caring hands and good for them to get to know the previous owner while experiencing the boat under sail. The more "interesting" or high value the vessel, the more looky Lous and the less likely that such pre-sell sails will result in the transfer of ownership though.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 17:59   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Don't open that locker!

I never met the PO of my boat, wanted to, asked to but I guess there was to be none of that? I got the impression he had his share of BS offers, when I threw out a low ball bid to just get things started, he accepted, with the caveat of where is, as is.
Worried the crap out of me, cause I knew that meant something bad was wrong, and I just couldn't find it.
Funny cause being the days of the Internet, I found out lots about him, last job, where he lived etc.
Guy I hired to help me bring her around. (I had never sailed any kind of boat, nor been on a boat under sail). I found out he was familiar with the boat cause the PO couldn't handle her, and hired this Capt to take him sailing anytime the boat was used.

People have run the full spectrum, from being real nasty to me when I was buying fuel and I asked where the dumpster was so I could throw away one small bag of trash, to being very friendly when I told them upfront I was only going to be able to hold 10 gls or so of fuel, but they were asking how they could help, if I had any trash to throw away, ice was free with fuel etc.
Guess who got the $20 tip?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-04-2016, 09:07   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
loving it. thank you
Old 11-04-2016, 14:42   #98

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Schooner Chandlery,

Sorry I fit your stereotype. I think you fit mine of someone I wouldn't want to bother, if I knew better. Your business seems to fit your personality - my wife is an introvert and loves 'browsing' on-line with no one to force her into an interaction she doesn't desire. I love chatting with people in flea markets. To me, your issue is more about your personality type than people being rude, at least to an extent. If people are bugging in your personal space uninvited, that is one thing. If people stop to engage you about your boat, well, that is something else IMO.

I happen to love boat design, and would often ask folks about their particular boat. Some were live-aboards, some were charterers. Almost all were more than happy to talk about their boat, and where they were cruising, and what they liked/didn't like about their boat. If I wasn't invited into the cockpit to socialize, I just said bye. If invited aboard, I often got the invite to look about below.

I really wasn't looking into the details of construction and seaworthiness. I was more interested in the layout and how things (head/births/galley/nav table) were arranged. I fully understood that this wasn't a mini-survey - I have done a lot of reading and have a bunch of books on layouts but I rarely have a good chance to truly feel the elbowroom of a boat.

Anyway, sounds like you wouldn't have invited me up. Not a big deal. I'd have appreciated your boat's lines and moved on. Plenty of folks to chat with in a harbor, so there is no point in bothering someone not interested. Also, please note, all the boats I would visit were either in adjacent slips or nearby in busier anchorages - not disturbing that isolated sailor off by himself, enjoying the tranquility.

Fair winds.

Tankersteve
Old 11-04-2016, 15:45   #99

About 20 years ago, when I first got into charter club sailing my buddy, who got me hooked on sailing, he used to be one of those nosey-lookey fellows, not "climbing aboard uninvited" type but "riding around in the dinghy hailing boat owners" type.

I did not know any better nor did know the etiquette, etc. So there we are in if I recall correctly Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard or may be it was Nantucket, anyway it was one of those shee-shee "Grey Poupon" harbors for sure. At the time I did not know a Hereshoff from Bayliner but as turned out the subject of my buddy's curiosity was a 50footish immaculate Alden.

So, we are riding in the dinghy and I am getting a lecture on various boats from my buddy as he loved to show off his nautical knowledge when he spots the owner of the Alden putting around on deck.

My buddy: -Ahoy there! Beautiful boat you have.
The owner(tersely): - Thanks.
M/b: -Have you had her long?
O: - About a year or so.
M/b: -Where do you service her?
O: - At Alden's yard in Rhode Island.
M/b: -Do they treat you well?
O: -They better be, I just boat the damn company!

Curtain. Stage exit left.

PS Just recently I came across info that the last partnership owners of the company before selling to Hinckley did indeed purchased her in the mid-90s and held on for several years. Must have been one of those guys.
Old 11-04-2016, 16:43   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
" at least up in the charthouse when at anchor."

UP IN THE CHARTHOUSE!????

OK I admit it. I want a tour of your boat.
Don't ask to see his underwear drawer....
Old 11-04-2016, 18:17   #101
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
Sorry I fit your stereotype. I think you fit mine of someone I wouldn't want to bother, if I knew better. Your business seems to fit your personality - my wife is an introvert and loves 'browsing' on-line with no one to force her into an interaction she doesn't desire. I love chatting with people in flea markets. To me, your issue is more about your personality type than people being rude, at least to an extent. If people are bugging in your personal space uninvited, that is one thing. If people stop to engage you about your boat, well, that is something else IMO.
Tanker Steve, I hope you're not the sort who would open lockers once aboard someone's boat. Personality? This topic has little to do with my personality when people are really being rude all by themselves. Are you saying it's not rude when they OPEN my oven door just to take a look inside or OPEN closed lockers in the same way or ENTER my boat while I'm not aboard it? Seriously.

I certainly have been foolish enough to allow such rude people aboard, yes. That bit of friendliness is long gone now. I've learned and now I certainly keep my boat locked up when I'm away walking on the dock or visiting the shower at a marina, yes, else these same rude folks manage to have a visit of the vessel all-on-their-own.

My boat is my home. In order to preserve my personal space, I (and other boaters) should not have to hide below decks so people cannot approach. I should be able to enjoy my deck, or work on an exterior project without explaining the project and giving a tour to a pushy sort of random Joe on the dock or in the anchorage. I'd prefer to share my home with people I'd like to have in, not just the pushy ones who are so rude.

I'm generally very much an extrovert and enjoy unexpected encounters with new people. That's not what I have been talking about in this thread. I'm just talking about rude people who do open things they shouldn't or who do push their way along onto or into a boat of a stranger.

I've BECOME very private about our boat because of the unexpected behaviors and attitudes of these people we barely know who we have allowed onto or into the boat. Remember, the boat is our home. I might (might) feel very different if it were not. I also must say that if each and every person who visited the boat was kind and thoughtful in their demeanor and words, I'd probably not have my general reluctance to interact with strangers now.

I love interacting with people, flea markets and the rest. Yep. And, believe it or not, I operated my last land-based home (in Washington, DC) as a guest house (like a B&B) for 5 years. Happily and very successfully with a waiting list for available rooms. Sharing all parts of my home with complete strangers, yep. I really enjoyed meeting so many different people during that 5 years. It was wonderful.

My online business that you refer to--which I really enjoy--is a 24/7 exercise of interaction on the customers' terms but certainly not face-time in the same way as a bricks-and-mortar business is. We travel and I happen to be gimpy right now -- so the only kind of customer facing business I can have right now is web based. It doesn't say much else about me--though I'm glad your wife likes shopping online

It just appears that the sort of folks one comes into contact with in the anchorage or on the dock aren't necessarily playing by the same polite rules of the rest of society. Of course I do understand saying hello as you walk along the dock. We do that as we walk the street and see a homeowner on their porch, right? We sometimes stop to chat with boater or homeowner. It's very similar. The difference is when the stranger pushes for the tour and once on the tour he opens every door and locker as if he were a surveyor or a potential buyer of the boat. It can get weird. Totally screwed up, IMO.

Old 11-04-2016, 18:20   #102
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Don't ask to see his underwear drawer....
You can see my husband's underwear drawer all you want. Just not MY underwear drawer

Old 12-04-2016, 09:24   #103

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Schooner Chandlery,

I think I better understand your viewpoint. I just had a hard time believing that some folks would 'invite' themselves aboard without the owner's invitation of some kind. I've never even asked to come aboard - if the owner wants me aboard, they can offer (prevents that awkward politeness when they really want to say NO). The idea of poking into personal spaces is kind of crazy. I think the only time I opened a closed space of any kind was when an owner encouraged me to see how dry his bilge was (on an older Irwin 44, which I didn't think was a very dry or well-built boat. To his credit, he had an amazingly spotless and completely dry bilge), but otherwise, if offered a tour, I would spend maybe 3 minutes below. This is in comparison to the 40 minutes already yakking in the cockpit.

I think this applied to live-aboards more. The charterers I ran into often had similar experience levels (roughly) as I and would mention the particular foibles of the boat they were on and show me the issues. As they were often newer boats, too, it was amusing to see the shortcuts taken in simple construction areas - weak velcro holding up a headliner (falling down in any kind of seaway...), undersized hardware, etc. Cockpit setup actually is discussed at much longer lengths. Boats with cruising add-ons are very interesting to me too, how they integrated radar mast, arch, davits, bimini, etc.

For me, I never invite myself aboard and certainly never have a stated goal of going below (that sounded dirty...). But lots of folks enjoy showing off their boats, and I was happy to take them up on the offer. But they offer. If they don't, scoot around the anchorage some more or back to the boat for a beer.

Island Time, having bought the company, I'd have talked his ear off for quite awhile if given the opportunity. What an interesting perspective he would have on the boat industry. However, my personal favorite faux pas was confusing a (rather dingy, in my partial defense) Sabre for a Catalina. Not only did I not get invited aboard, but I left rather humiliated at my mistake. Although in hindsight, I sure wish I had seen the interior fitting out. I haven't been aboard too many boats with stick-built interiors.

Maybe I have a personality defect. I must have delusions of being a boat broker. Same for real estate - can't pass up an open house, and often have a great conversation with the agent, if they aren't busy.

Tankersteve
Old 12-04-2016, 11:18   #104
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
can't pass up an open house, and often have a great conversation with the agent, if they aren't busy.
Tankersteve
People love looking at other people's homes--an open house is just that sort of opportunity because the home owner has voluntarily opened up the place for everyone to come in. BECAUSE HE'S TRYING TO SELL IT.

The rest of the time, can you imagine it if people were coming along saying "can I see your home?" Or, wandering around inside the fenced back yard poking at the plantings until the owner comes home and then saying "ah, I'm so glad you came home, I just love the exterior of your house so I'd love to see how it is finished out on the inside and talk to you about how you live here and what it costs for you to do your maintenance, if you plan any upgrades, who you bought the house from, and what your plans are for the future and if I could possibly be part of those plans?"

I understand you're not that fellow poking around in the back yard. I'm pushing back at you because you've qualified your statements with descriptions of common behaviors (e.g. boats for sale/open house/flea market) permissible in the marketplace and these really have nothing to do the sort of thing I'm talking about.

You've taken the time to respond to me thoughtfully and even such a thoughtful person as you seem to be confusing market-acceptable behavior with interactions among people who are not engaged in a transaction of any sort. This says to me that I should definitely hold my distance and maintain my privacy because the line between marketplace/transactional behavior and courtesy to strangers is far too easily blurred.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:30   #105

I think we need to realize that 90% of non-boaters view someone else's boat as they view a tricked out Harley on a DD parking lot and not as someone's home, even if seasonal or vacation home. I think only the really touristy areas/docks would have people treating other peoples' boats as tourist attractions. Any other dock I've been to 99% of those at the dock are very nonchalant about someone else's boat, unless it's a spiffed up old Hereshoff, Hinckley or some such. But in those cases the owners should not be complaining as that attraction always follows their boats' spiffiness.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: