Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 15:25   #76
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
......................
..................... That particular fellow, a self-employed rigger I suppose, was just looking for his next mark.
Right, I understand,- maybe the term, "vendor" was extra polite on your part.

Newfoundland was mentioned as a location where people are particularly nice. Actually, I find these particularly nice people everywhere. Most often when they are local people with deep roots in their community. I find it doesn't really matter geographically except when you find yourself in an area full of people who are not part of an established community and looking for the quick money! I find places flooded with temporary tourists as a problem. This would make Florida subject to suspicion compared to say, Nova Scotia, but if you take yourself off the ICW "snowbird" trail you can find yourself among people as helpful and friendly as anywhere else.
__________________

__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 15:45   #77
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,056
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Right, I understand,- maybe the term, "vendor" was extra polite on your part.

Newfoundland was mentioned as a location where people are particularly nice. Actually, I find these particularly nice people everywhere. Most often when they are local people with deep roots in their community. I find it doesn't really matter geographically except when you find yourself in an area full of people who are not part of an established community and looking for the quick money! I find places flooded with temporary tourists as a problem. This would make Florida subject to suspicion compared to say, Nova Scotia, but if you take yourself off the ICW "snowbird" trail you can find yourself among people as helpful and friendly as anywhere else.
People are people. Nova Scotia, Florida or the PNW. Or the Australians or South Africans.
__________________

__________________
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 16:13   #78
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 4,329
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...
Boaters find boats interesting, even the boats they don't even like.

__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 16:19   #79
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Schooner Chandlery's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: home port Washington DC
Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Posts: 977
Re: Don't open that locker!

You're right about deep roots. The friendliest most helpful, caring and trustworthy people I have experienced were the multigenerational families we were surrounded by in the little neighborhood we lived in DC for 13 yrs. Lovely people who we still keep in touch with. Some of them had families who had been there since the late 1800's. Not on the water though. ☹


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:02   #80
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,453
Images: 69
Re: Don't open that locker!

Some people seem to think boats are public property. We've had people swim out to our boat and swing off the dinghy hoisting lines. Kayak under the bridgedeck between the hulls. One guy swam out and knocked really hard on the hull as if he was trying to see if he could dent it.


Fishermen bouncing lures off the sides.... and they get real upset if you walk out and tell them to **** off.... one day I'll follow one back to the boat ramp and start firing lures at his car...


It's weird, they just don't seem to get that a boat is private property, just like their car is.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:46   #81
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Schooner Chandlery's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: home port Washington DC
Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Posts: 977
Re: Don't open that locker!

😄 thanks for the mental image of you bouncing lures off his car.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 19:14   #82
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,024
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Maybe it depends upon where you sail. I find things old school in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
+1

On our last big sail through the Great Lakes we ran into engine issues. At one marina they welcomed us, let us stay for free for over a week for free. Our boat attracted a fair bit of local attention. Plenty of respectful, interested people. We gave lots of tours. No negative experiences. Even heard a three-year-old girl exclaim to her father. "Daddy, look at the pirate boat. It's a pirate boat!"

At another village dock we got storm-bound. Docking was cheap, but they only took cash. By the third day we had run out. Dockmaster said not to worry ... "stay as long as you need to." We even offered to mail him the fee. "Oh, don't worry about it."

Another Lake and another problem. Pull in. Dockmaster directs us to an open slip. "How much?" says I. "Oh, just stay there as long as you need to. The dock's already paid for (by a previous occupant)...". Local shop sends down their diesel mechanic. Sorts us out for a fair price. No up-sell. Only asks us to pick him up a 40-pounder of rum b/c we were going to the local liquor store. He paid for his rum. Oh, and he lent us his car so we could get there. And this after having known us for a whole 1/2 hr.

Maybe you really are travelling in the wrong areas Schooner.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 19:20   #83
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas, USA
Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Posts: 239
Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
+1



On our last big sail through the Great Lakes we ran into engine issues. At one marina they welcomed us, let us stay for free for over a week for free. Our boat attracted a fair bit of local attention. Plenty of respectful, interested people. We gave lots of tours. No negative experiences. Even heard a three-year-old girl exclaim to her father. "Daddy, look at the pirate boat. It's a pirate boat!"



At another village dock we got storm-bound. Docking was cheap, but they only took cash. By the third day we had run out. Dockmaster said not to worry ... "stay as long as you need to." We even offered to mail him the fee. "Oh, don't worry about it."



Another Lake and another problem. Pull in. Dockmaster directs us to an open slip. "How much?" says I. "Oh, just stay there as long as you need to. The dock's already paid for (by a previous occupant)...". Local shop sends down their diesel mechanic. Sorts us out for a fair price. No up-sell. Only asks us to pick him up a 40-pounder of rum b/c we were going to the local liquor store. He paid for his rum. Oh, and he lent us his car so we could get there. And this after having known us for a whole 1/2 hr.



Maybe you really are travelling in the wrong areas Schooner.

Mike, I'm detecting a theme in your cruising adventures...

😀
__________________
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 19:37   #84
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,024
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
Mike, I'm detecting a theme in your cruising adventures...😀
Yes ... I suck as a diesel mechanic
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 19:46   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WY / Currently in Hayes VA on the Chesapeake
Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Posts: 922
Re: Don't open that locker!

" at least up in the charthouse when at anchor."

UP IN THE CHARTHOUSE!????

OK I admit it. I want a tour of your boat.
__________________
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 22:33   #86
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
+1

On our last big sail through the Great Lakes we ran into engine issues. At one marina they welcomed us, let us stay for free for over a week for free. Our boat attracted a fair bit of local attention. Plenty of respectful, interested people. We gave lots of tours. No negative experiences. Even heard a three-year-old girl exclaim to her father. "Daddy, look at the pirate boat. It's a pirate boat!"

At another village dock we got storm-bound. Docking was cheap, but they only took cash. By the third day we had run out. Dockmaster said not to worry ... "stay as long as you need to." We even offered to mail him the fee. "Oh, don't worry about it."

Another Lake and another problem. Pull in. Dockmaster directs us to an open slip. "How much?" says I. "Oh, just stay there as long as you need to. The dock's already paid for (by a previous occupant)...". Local shop sends down their diesel mechanic. Sorts us out for a fair price. No up-sell. Only asks us to pick him up a 40-pounder of rum b/c we were going to the local liquor store. He paid for his rum. Oh, and he lent us his car so we could get there. And this after having known us for a whole 1/2 hr.

Maybe you really are travelling in the wrong areas Schooner.
The cruising world as opposed to staying at home. As an "exotic", you are usually welcomed, and folks go out of t heir way to be helpful to you. Giving a few boat tours and cups of coffee in exchange is part of the fun.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 23:03   #87
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Schooner Chandlery's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: home port Washington DC
Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Posts: 977
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
" at least up in the charthouse when at anchor."



UP IN THE CHARTHOUSE!????



OK I admit it. I want a tour of your boat.

Don't go being too impressed.

The chart house is a low and small pilothouse (sans steering except we can use the autopilot control from inside there nicely) that you as a modern sailor might call a cabin and people sailing when the boat was launched might call a deck saloon but the boat plans call it a chart house (guess the original fellow was proud of his nav table) so that's what we also call it.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 23:10   #88
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Schooner Chandlery's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: home port Washington DC
Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Posts: 977
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes ... I suck as a diesel mechanic

We always feel bad if anything is amiss with boat or car as I'm the daughter of a diesel mechanic married to the grandson of a diesel mechanic--both of us originally from the Great Lakes region where people ARE pretty nice. We should buddy boat-what do you bring to the convoy? Will you protect me from the underwear drawer opening looky Lous?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 23:15   #89
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Schooner Chandlery's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: home port Washington DC
Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Posts: 977
Don't open that locker!

PS all: I will have to start a thread on the kindness of strangers too. We have experienced plenty of that while traveling too. I stand firm in my concerns that it is best to only let vetted strangers aboard and to be careful of much beyond the cockpit until I know more about them and their ways. Don't I sound like a paranoid old woman? Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 23:31   #90
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
PS all: I will have to start a thread on the kindness of strangers too. We have experienced plenty of that while traveling too. I stand firm in my concerns that it is best to only let vetted strangers aboard and to be careful of much beyond the cockpit until I know more about them and their ways. Don't I sound like a paranoid old woman? Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Nah, merely a realist. Trust in Allah, but tie your camel to a tree.... The Lord helps those who help themselves, etc.

Ann
__________________

__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charts don't open, New PC Windows 8 emenskl OpenCPN 14 29-07-2013 19:07
Chain Locker Drain and Rode Spool inside Locker resilientg Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 05-08-2012 19:02
Open CPN wont open BONEY MAHONEY OpenCPN 3 26-07-2012 22:08
Open CPN Works Initially But Then Will Not Open GrahamW OpenCPN 4 25-01-2012 05:57
Open cpn Installs but Does Not Open with Vista 64 bit felipe OpenCPN 3 03-06-2011 13:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.