Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 09:46   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDSailor View Post
We also have a boat that everyone wants to see inside. I just say,"sure, no problem. But as we are getting to be such good friends, let's take a ride to your house first, so that I can take a tour of where you live first. Would that be ok with you?" No takers yet...
I'd say sure your tender or mine.
Old 30-03-2016, 09:56   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Schooner,

I've had similar experiences over the years with different vessels in varying locations.

My sense is [and this is what we are all saying in various ways...] most non-boaters have no clue that our boats may also be our domicile [it doesn't matter if it is full time or not...] I believe they have more of a mindset that it is a weekend RV, or like an old car you restored and drive around to willingly show-off; or want a glimpse of the lifestyle of the perceived 'rich and famous'...

I have been in mostly commercial [fishing] marinas the last 25 years or so. These folks- for the most part- are polite, and very busy. Like everyone here, they wouldn't hesitate to help anyone, or step onto any vessel if they perceived a problem. [e.g., Smoke, shrinking freeboard, chafed dock lines in a blow, etc.] But they would never step aboard or even glance into the ports the rest of the time. Why? Because- like us- they understand vessels can be domiciles [their working boats are part-time homes...] They get it. [Even though they may not understand why we would want a non-work boat with all the associated maintenance, but no income...]

I once absent-mindedly left a heavy toolbox sitting next to the driver's door of my locked truck in the parking lot in Valdez, Alaska and promptly went boating for several weeks. It was still there when I returned [with all its contents.] Someone had even kindly slid it under the truck to keep it out of the rain...

It is different if you are unfortunate enough to have to be in a marina with lots of non-boaters. For us this is when the day fishing charter boats are in full swing in some areas. They often depart in the wee hours of the morning, and the non-boater charterers don't have a clue someone might be sleeping on the boat with the anchor they are slapping as they walk by, or yelling to their friend at the top of the dock gangway to remember the beer cooler...

These are the ones I've had cup their hands and peer in through a friend's trawler windows as we were all having dinner. [It isn't dark at dinnertime in the summer this far north...] I know they were utterly shocked to see us eating dinner, and totally embarrassed and apologetic to have intruded. My point is they know better than to do this to someone's home, but never considered a boat as a domicile.

This segues back to the other thread you mentioned with Redhead having people invite themselves onboard.

Just as locks keep the honest people honest, a sign near the boarding area declaring a boat as a 'Private Residence' will elucidate the decent folks...

We will be faced with this conundrum with a remotely located 'cabin' we plan to build soon. It is 'off the grid' accessible only by water or extensive hike. We will have to make sure any hikers/hunters that may find it know it is a 'Private Residence' [and not one of many State and Federal recreational cabins...] and hope they treat it like they would have others treat their home...

As for the rest, I guess we have to blame their parents...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 30-03-2016, 10:01   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We LOVED our time in Alaska. That is the only place we weren't plagued with these sorts of requests and we were very comfortable with the people we did invite aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-03-2016, 10:13   #34

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsearite View Post
I had an old boat professionally done so it looked showroom new. Ten minutes till 7 one morning someone knocking on the hull. I hurry up and to the railing to see a couple standing in the dock and he says "what year is this?" I didn't even respond simply turned and went back to bed. Dumb & nervey.
I would shot have shot them a look and answered,
"2016" and gone back to bed.

We built a 40' geodesic dome back in the late '70's and got the same BS over and over. Knock on the door and, "Can we have a tour of your house?"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160329_170438_560.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	121688  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 10:14   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The OP really needs to grasp the concept: When the universe sends you a toy, you are required to play with it. But, you are allowed to make the rules.

Put up a nice sign by your boarding gate that says "BOAT TOURS: $25 adults, $15 children under age 8 (ID required), no senior discounts." NEXT TOUR BEGINS AT 2PM. Cash Only. no advance ticket sales.

Take their money and tell entertaining lies. If the crowd gets too big or the line gets too long, raise the prices.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 10:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWebXperienZ View Post
No security at these docking places? I had nothing to do and all day to do it in Santa Barbara last week so I went to the marina to check out boats. I had to walk in behind somebody that had a gate pass thingy to unlock the gate. So I walk all around, not bothering anybody, looking at interesting boats... when I left I had people surreptitiously photoing me, photoing my car as I drove away, damn, I felt like a hit was taken out on me... I would have liked to ask them if they were hired by the marina or just some cartel guys with boats... but I thought better of it!
So you followed close behind somebody entitled to a pass hoping they would assume you were a neighbour.
You sneak in but you're offended because people who don't know you think you might be looking for stuff to steal.

Unbelievable. Are you a child?

FYI those people weren't being surreptitious. They hoped you might be smart enough to figure out that if anything was stolen you could expect a visit from the cops.
Their mistake, eh? You sure proved them wrong
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 10:49   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Don't open that locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The OP really needs to grasp the concept: When the universe sends you a toy, you are required to play with it. But, you are allowed to make the rules.

Put up a nice sign by your boarding gate that says "BOAT TOURS: $25 adults, $15 children under age 8 (ID required), no senior discounts." NEXT TOUR BEGINS AT 2PM. Cash Only. no advance ticket sales.

Take their money and tell entertaining lies. If the crowd gets too big or the line gets too long, raise the prices.

Brilliant. My variation would be much more expensive and the sign would say "minimum tour size 4 people and 3 week pre-booking required " with my website for credit card deposit payments but require cash on the date of tour just to make it more unlikely they could comply. Oh and then have a 20 page liability waiver and acceptance of responsibility if they break something. Hum. Maybe a $500 cash deposit for breakage.

Old 30-03-2016, 10:50   #38

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	********.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	121689
Old 30-03-2016, 11:13   #39

Boat: Skookum 53'

The other morning, I was walking down the dock to my vessel, and I observed a tourist photographing my figurehead (Anatomically correct female mermaid), and he went as far as climbing on the deck of another commercial fishing vessel moored ahead of me, and as I walked by and boarded my vessel, he didn't even ask if it was okay to shoot photos. I understand that due to the nature of the figurehead it is going to attract attention even photographers, but he could have at least said something like "I hope you don't mind." I wouldn't have objected, I would have appreciated the acknowledgement. We often get the looky loos coming by and asking questions, while we are working on deck, and usually we don't mind the interruption, no inquiries regarding a tour yet, right now things are a bit of a wreck.
Old 30-03-2016, 11:21   #40

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I'd say sure your tender or mine.
In the case of another boater anchored close by, I would surely welcome the tour, and probably bring the rum!
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:37   #41

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I have no problem with looking or pictures. DO NOT TOUCH!

Love the expensive tours sign idea.

An acquaintance in Isla Mujeres returned to his boat to find a half dozen people drinking beer on his deck. He told them to leave that it was a private boat. They told him it would be 20 min. or so before they finished their beer. He sent Momma and Junior Rotwilers onto the boat. Several of his guests wound up in the water. I wish I had seen that!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:45   #42

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsearite View Post
I had an old boat professionally done so it looked showroom new. Ten minutes till 7 one morning someone knocking on the hull. I hurry up and to the railing to see a couple standing in the dock and he says "what year is this?" I didn't even respond simply turned and went back to bed. Dumb & nervey.
And maybe you missed a great oportunity! What if they were time travellers just landed in our time, and asked for a perfectly natural information they most needed. Maybe you took it all wrong. Maybe if you were a bit more friendly, you could end up with a copy of "2000-2020 baseball results almanach" or something... you know...
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 12:11   #43

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We LOVED our time in Alaska. That is the only place we weren't plagued with these sorts of requests and we were very comfortable with the people we did invite aboard.

With that being said, next time you come to Alaska, "Permission to come aboard?" I promise I won't look in your undie drawer, I know what mine look like already.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 12:53   #44

Boat: Island Packet 35

Creative answers.

Sure, but do you mind signing this legal document and having it notarized up at the marina and submitting a $200 us deposit?

Sure, but we have a really big load of drugs on board and the DEA is watching us right now. Come on board.

Sure, but my husband is a mortician and we have a body down there right now that he is working on since the local mortuary was damaged by a fire, you might want to put some Vics under your nose before coming aboard.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 13:13   #45

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroar View Post
With that being said, next time you come to Alaska, "Permission to come aboard?" I promise I won't look in your undie drawer, I know what mine look like already.
AND, I forgot to mention, I will definitely bring the adult beverage of your choice. (To enjoy in the cockpit, of course!)
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote