Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 08:56   #16
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Can you share any actual experience with dogs in and out of specific countries by yacht? That is what I am hoping will occur here so that other CF doggy cruisers can get better insight.
wasnt mine, but he had it with us, microchipped and had the pet passport, in France it hardly raised an eyebrow. I suspect its very 'official you meet' dependant.

That was it.
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:06   #17
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
wasnt mine, but he had it with us, microchipped and had the pet passport, in France it hardly raised an eyebrow. I suspect its very 'official you meet' dependant.

That was it.
France is a particularly easy country to enter dogs with. I speak from actual experience when we entered with our motorhome by ferry. The problem is the UK return. We were turned away for 24 hours because we had to get a vet to pop a worming tablet down his throat and enter it in his PET passport. Has to be done within 5 days of re-entry and no less than 24 hours. Typical of the UK to be full of nonsense imo.
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:09   #18
Registered User
 
Jane.Joy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Panama
Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Posts: 293
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just as a comment, that certificate is not whats required to bring you pet into a foreign country, The regulations of the foreign country are what matters.

Contact the embassies or consulates of countries you intend to visit and get official requirements. This is the only way to ensure what you need, be sure to explain that you will be arriving by private yacht.

Dave
Well, I have to say I don't agree with this. Embassies and consulates often don't know their own rules, since arriving by "private yacht" is such a small blip on the screen. Also, some people who are cruising aren't going to know ahead of time, which countries they're going to visit. Finally, the official rules are often way different from what actually happens with customs - so our strategy is to look for people who have actual experiences with the actual port (not country) that we want to visit. Also, EVERY country, officially, is going to tell you they want an international health certificate, but we found that to be a BIG waste of money.

Disclaimer, we have cats instead of dogs, but we keep them up to date on their shots, and every time we update their shots, we also get a new "international health certificate." We keep that health certificate on hand just in case - but in our experience, and in the experience of a lot of cruisers we talk with who are actually "out here" - updated shots and other random "official" paperwork is enough. If you have an OCD personality (more power to you) or unlimited funds and time, careful rule-following is, I'm sure, a little safer.

But we don't know many cruisers who do it that way. We have friends who have a hedgehog - ha! - try asking the embassy/consulate about that! In one of the countries they visited, the customs and immigration agents on board sat around on the boat, drinking cokes and trying to figure out what the hell is a hedgehog. They eventually decided that it was a cat, since it ate cat food - but a cat without a rabies shot, because I think hedgehogs can't get rabies? or maybe because the hedgehog never left the boat, of course, and I think the rabies shot would not be safe for a hedgehog. It was a funny story, anyway.

I think slavish rule-following is probably super wise in Australia, New Zealand, and maybe Europe? but otherwise, not so much. IMHO....
__________________
Jane, s/v more JOY everywhere!
_______________________________________
The Monkey's Fist
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:13   #19
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
I think slavish rule-following is probably super wise in Australia, New Zealand, and maybe Europe? but otherwise, not so much. IMHO....
No I actually agree with you, In most of Europe ,it not an issue. The Uk and Ireland are much stricter.

The reason I suggested embassies etc, is not to rely on third party websites. I agree personal experience is useful , but again its not always right or it may have been a one off, or nice ( or un-nice) official etc.

Its very grey area, from my admittedly limited experience, I think cats are even less of an issue then dogs
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:24   #20
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Well, I have to say I don't agree with this. Embassies and consulates often don't know their own rules, since arriving by "private yacht" is such a small blip on the screen. Also, some people who are cruising aren't going to know ahead of time, which countries they're going to visit. Finally, the official rules are often way different from what actually happens with customs - so our strategy is to look for people who have actual experiences with the actual port (not country) that we want to visit. Also, EVERY country, officially, is going to tell you they want an international health certificate, but we found that to be a BIG waste of money.

Disclaimer, we have cats instead of dogs, but we keep them up to date on their shots, and every time we update their shots, we also get a new "international health certificate." We keep that health certificate on hand just in case - but in our experience, and in the experience of a lot of cruisers we talk with who are actually "out here" - updated shots and other random "official" paperwork is enough. If you have an OCD personality (more power to you) or unlimited funds and time, careful rule-following is, I'm sure, a little safer.

But we don't know many cruisers who do it that way. We have friends who have a hedgehog - ha! - try asking the embassy/consulate about that! In one of the countries they visited, the customs and immigration agents on board sat around on the boat, drinking cokes and trying to figure out what the hell is a hedgehog. They eventually decided that it was a cat, since it ate cat food - but a cat without a rabies shot, because I think hedgehogs can't get rabies? or maybe because the hedgehog never left the boat, of course, and I think the rabies shot would not be safe for a hedgehog. It was a funny story, anyway.

I think slavish rule-following is probably super wise in Australia, New Zealand, and maybe Europe? but otherwise, not so much. IMHO....
Now this contribution seems to be in line with what I have read elsewhere (unfortunately I didn't do anything other than read and then move on). My sense is that what you have described is a more accurate picture of what really happens , thanks.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 10:05   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
My experience doesn't cover the countries you have listed, but thorough out Mexico and Central America, despite what is covered on the official government websites etc..... The dog was actually very easy. What I found worked well when the agents even cared to look was a pile of every record and receipt from doggy day one. Most of the time, a clean animal that was nice to touch was a novelty and let enter as such.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 10:42   #22
Registered User
 
Jane.Joy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Panama
Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Posts: 293
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Its very grey area, from my admittedly limited experience, I think cats are even less of an issue then dogs
True - because cats are less visible than dogs and less likely to go ashore. Although our cats HAVE been known to go walkabout when we park at a marina. They're sneaky about it though - always on the look-out for the coppers.
__________________
Jane, s/v more JOY everywhere!
_______________________________________
The Monkey's Fist
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 10:43   #23
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of Various Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
My experience doesn't cover the countries you have listed, but thorough out Mexico and Central America, despite what is covered on the official government websites etc..... The dog was actually very easy. What I found worked well when the agents even cared to look was a pile of every record and receipt from doggy day one. Most of the time, a clean animal that was nice to touch was a novelty and let enter as such.
Good input from actual experience thanks. I was leaning towards the same thing actually ... a kind of "BS baffles brains" with a ton of historic paperwork used in previous and recent countries but of course keeping the basics (like rabies inocs etc up to date). Thanks, the idea is to provide info for others too, who may well be headed towards those countries you mentioned. We will hopefully too in a few years.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 11:26   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just as a comment, that certificate is not whats required to bring you pet into a foreign country, The regulations of the foreign country are what matters.

Contact the embassies or consulates of countries you intend to visit and get official requirements. This is the only way to ensure what you need, be sure to explain that you will be arriving by private yacht.

Dave
Dave
When we sail down the carribean there are
Several country's. we go to the vet in st thomas
Who does the paperwork for the international
Certificate and faxs it
If you traveling in EU country's you still need only
The international certificate, micro chip
You can contact the embassy number for who
To fax the dogs information to. They will help do that
I traveled in EU with my dog and only needed health cert
Proof of rabies and the rabies tag and micro chip in the dog
In years of going from the USA to EU only
Customs st the airport asked
In British country's you must do the blood titer
As the need proof if rabies free...
During the time we've cruised we've been asked
Once for proof in the caicios, where just a simple
Health cert and rabies was require if you take
The dog on land ( as you must declare)
The rule of thumb is when in doubt call the embassy and
Ask for the animal desk. That person tells us thev
You the rules on dogs
WARNING: TRINIDAD, TABAGO, Fuji and a few others do
Not allow dogs ashore ... You can have them aboard
But not off the vessel!!!
The EU law is a international doccument
Is most all you need in they International health
Cert doccument for ever county
Btw some places they never checks
Atbsllo
__________________
paradisenow1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 12:55   #25
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of various countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisenow1946 View Post
Dave
When we sail down the carribean there are
Several country's. we go to the vet in st thomas
Who does the paperwork for the international
Certificate and faxs it
If you traveling in EU country's you still need only
The international certificate, micro chip
You can contact the embassy number for who
To fax the dogs information to. They will help do that
I traveled in EU with my dog and only needed health cert
Proof of rabies and the rabies tag and micro chip in the dog
In years of going from the USA to EU only
Customs st the airport asked
In British country's you must do the blood titer
As the need proof if rabies free...
During the time we've cruised we've been asked
Once for proof in the caicios, where just a simple
Health cert and rabies was require if you take
The dog on land ( as you must declare)
The rule of thumb is when in doubt call the embassy and
Ask for the animal desk. That person tells us thev
You the rules on dogs
WARNING: TRINIDAD, TABAGO, Fuji and a few others do
Not allow dogs ashore ... You can have them aboard
But not off the vessel!!!
The EU law is a international doccument
Is most all you need in they International health
Cert doccument for ever county
Btw some places they never checks
Atbsllo
This is good feedback of actual experience, thank you.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 13:43   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of Various Countries

Your welcome when we started to cruise we got so much
Misinformation on what to get and do.
Even our vet had no idea. The manual said one thing
The Internet had three different things and then
We were stumped by pet passport. Fianally after getting
All the stuff the dogs needed. We met the vet in st thomas
Who helped us get the system..
It's easy after that..
The British country's require the blood titer and proof
Of it per dog.. A internation health cert and copy's
Of rabies Lyme distemper hep otitis and parvo
If they inspect the boat the British will seize, hold or distroyers
The animal if you can't show the proof of no rabies
Britian and done of its protectorates are very strict
On this... Even in the BVIS
We found it was easier to get the tests
On Azores contact the consult but they fall
Under the pet scheme and again it's the int cert and proof
With no titer.. If in doubt call the embassy in Chicago or New York both
Have very nice reps who ate happy to help

Fair winds,
Kathleen
S/V Legacy
Myrtle beach SC
__________________
paradisenow1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 13:48   #27
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of Various Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisenow1946 View Post
Your welcome when we started to cruise we got so much
Misinformation on what to get and do.
Even our vet had no idea. The manual said one thing
The Internet had three different things and then
We were stumped by pet passport. Fianally after getting
All the stuff the dogs needed. We met the vet in st thomas
Who helped us get the system..
It's easy after that..
The British country's require the blood titer and proof
Of it per dog.. A internation health cert and copy's
Of rabies Lyme distemper hep otitis and parvo
If they inspect the boat the British will seize, hold or distroyers
The animal if you can't show the proof of no rabies
Britian and done of its protectorates are very strict
On this... Even in the BVIS
We found it was easier to get the tests
On Azores contact the consult but they fall
Under the pet scheme and again it's the int cert and proof
With no titer.. If in doubt call the embassy in Chicago or New York both
Have very nice reps who ate happy to help

Fair winds,
Kathleen
S/V Legacy
Myrtle beach SC
My exact sentiments re the misinformation etc etc. That is why posts like yours and hopefully more doggy cruisers actual experience is vital to us as a community. Thanks.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 18:31   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post

Noonsite gives the rundown on the countries we are interested in. Its actual experience I am looking for in Azores, Canaries, Cape Verde, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa.
In Argentina my experience was exactly as per the rules. My (Californian) dog would have been sent back if I had not provided all the docs the rules called for... Down there the enforcementis the same for air transport or boats... Folks who want to break the rules (as in bringing monkeys or paperless dogs from Brazil) use their cars..
Cheers
Carlos
__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 19:41   #29
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of Various Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
In Argentina my experience was exactly as per the rules. My (Californian) dog would have been sent back if I had not provided all the docs the rules called for... Down there the enforcementis the same for air transport or boats... Folks who want to break the rules (as in bringing monkeys or paperless dogs from Brazil) use their cars..
Cheers
Carlos
Thanks Carlos. Good and useful input.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 02:15   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Re: Dogs - Yachting in and out of Various Countries

In country's who use the per scheme aka EU
It's easy; international health certificate, proof rabies,Lyme and distemper.
In UK it's per scheme plus titer test results per dog
(A blood test done 3 minths before Nonside leaving USA).
Other non EU country's it's international Heath cerf.
But if the are British protectorates you might have other tests
Including a titer.
It's best to call the embassy in USA to find out.
I'm sure noon side thinks they are putting out the current info
But I checked and details like the blood titer were left out.
If you don't follow the rules, do the certain and required tests
No amount of money will keep your pets from government
Seizure. Many read thier book and follow thier rules!!
Also each country requires you to contact the by fax, fill out a form and pay a fee.
In the carribean, you can use a vet to do this, paying him one fee to fax
All the places your going. I'm sure other country's may have someone
To contact to do that too.
We were told by cruisers the never got the certain and never got stopped. We got boarded in Bahamas 2x, in Samana,DR 3x and the coast guard and navy's of many
Country's do ask for the dogs doccuments.
I was glad I spent the time finding out what I needed.
Another tip, never wave to the coast guard to be friendly,
Your only inviting them to board you.
Fair Winds
Kathleen
S/V Legacy
Myrtle beach, SC
Our summer residence
__________________

__________________
paradisenow1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dogs

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.