Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 00:26   #76

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I would consider modifying one of these to be lift friendly especially if cruising in a hot climate. I have a black lab mix so heat is a factor.

http://www.crittersinflatable.com/video.php

At a minimum she wears a ruffwear harness but if it gets nasty it is jackets and tethers for all or put safely below. I think this vest will work in a pinch to retrieve your dog but I wouldn't want to regularly lift the dog without back end support. It does have metal hardware. Perhaps adding nylon webbing and connecting to lift rings would work? I am just throwing ideas out there.

A common sight on the boat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1572489447.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	56373

I found a lightweight ramp helpful too. The one I bought can float quite helpful too especially at odd docks.

Another good blog I found was this one: (not mine)
http://www.sailcharbonneau.com/PetSail.htm

Good luck!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31   #77
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dog Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post

Neither of them enjoy their PFDs.
Ours are OK in them. But apart from the initial fitting at the beach, we never let the dogs swim in them. Our reasoning, they swim good by themselves and don't need them in clam weather! In heavy weather, they are always the first to get them put on. What we don't want is for them to associate their DFDs with it being time to jump in for a swim!

Our dogs don't mind them, but then again, they often wear backpacks when walking so I don't have to carry their water, and the DFDs are probably way more comfy than the laden packs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Vagner View Post
Well abandoned dogs seem to be so grateful and eager to please when you adopt them and you can see what sort of dog it is immediately. Friendly/aggressive/likes boats/hates boats/likes water/hates water/likes kids/playful/affectionate/etc. And yes you CAN teach on old dog new tricks.

Anybody else out there who has adopted strays please add your 2 cents...
I wouldn't take anything else now!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:08   #78

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras37 View Post
Hello,

I have a female rottweiller 3 years old and while I am on dock based on barells doing repairs I have problem to get her onboard. Did that one time and almost hurt my back. She must weight aprox 35-40 kilos.

Any ideas how to get her onboard s without danger for her or me ?

Thank you

Bill
Hi Bill,

I've been looking at this while I had a little spare time today. I use a detachable crane that came with our boat for lifting but your boom can achieve the same thing. The crane I use is by St. Croix.

The challenge is the dog. I'm always looking at better ways to manage a problem if it occurs. A life jacket IMHO isn't the best for lifting a dog. Fine if its all you have but I try to mitigate injury risk as much as possible. I found a few harnesses that might help this question as well as give a decent lifting option for those with large dogs on board. Both are rappelling harnesses recommended for SAR.

I have always been a fan of Ruffwear products and hadn't looked at their products in many years. They released this harness that might be a good fit. I will be adding one to our boat here soon. I like that it is convertible using the back part or not depending on the situation.
http://www.ruffwear.com/DoubleBack-Harness
The other I'd consider but not as versatile and a little more expensive:
http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/Dog-Harness.html

Both products have videos in YouTube to see them in action.
Hope this helps!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 23:30   #79

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 09:18   #80

Boat: CT-41

Freddy, Great story about adopting strays. I have known many people who adopted strays and a couple who brought Mexican street dogs home to the US. ALL of the adopted strays were, just as you say, very grateful and ended up being great dogs.

My friend and I once picked up a stray from a food court near a park in Mexico City. It was a very nice dog who went on a day hike with us and returned to the food court at the end of the day. We asked the waitress whose dog he was and she replied, "Perro de calle" (street dog). We took him home and kept him. Turned out to be a wonderful dog, but my friend lived in an apartment, so she took him to her grandmother's ranch in the country where he became a welcome working dog.

Dogs from shelters are also grateful and turn out being wonderful family members. Found dogs are often much better than kennel raised dogs who are often so inbred for appearance that they have severe health problems and raised in poor conditions that lead to mental problems.

As for hoisting a dog - Aleutia has gone through some Urban Search & Rescue training where hoisting was taught so he could load on a Helicopter if necessary. The hoisting harness we used wraps UNDER the dog's body and clasps from the TOP with metal clasps, not those plastic things almost always used on K9 PFD's. Plastic clips wear out and can break, dropping your dog, particularly heavy ones. Yes, everybody uses them and no one has dropped their dog (that you know of), but why take the chance if you have to hoist him far enough that a fall could cause injury.

"Underdog" PFD's clasp over the dog's back, but still with little plastic clasps. Easy modification. I have not seen one other than on the net or catalogs, but another element to a safe lifting harness (such as used by SAR units and firefighters) is that the lifting rings that you attach to the hoist are two sets of rings on each side of the vest, fore and aft of center. That provides dead secure attachment and keeps the dog balanced.

To hoist the dog, having a ladder right next to the hoist will allow you to go with him on the way up, giving him confidence at least until he learns it is safe. This is the set up I plan on using for Aleutia when we pull out in a month or so.

Chocolate can kill a dog, just like overdose of any drug can a person. It builds up in the dog's system, so don't think your dog can handle it just because you have not yet seen symptoms.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aleutia on duty.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	57012  
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 14:56   #81

Lulu came from a shelter:

Name:	image-506785942.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	57024
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 18:06   #82

Boat: 1974 45' Downeast Lobster Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Graceunderway
Re: Dog boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
I find we have to lay out some carpet runners for our Boxer to make use of the (small) foredeck.

Also we made rubber booties to protect his feet from the oyster shells.

Awesome idea with the socks. We also have a boxer and she is one year old. We have the boat but not living on it full time. We do take Josie everytime we go to the boat. She likes it but not really sure how will she do when we start full time cruising. Carpet is also great idea. We were worried about the "biz".. Thank you
Graceunderway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 04:32   #83

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Is there anyone on CF who can share actual experiences entering the various (and specific) Caribbean Islands with a dog?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 09:44   #84

Boat: CT-41

Anyone had personal experience with the Underdog life jacket?
Not YOU, silly, your DOG!
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 19:50   #85

Boat: Norman Cross 46
do not hesitate to cruise with your pets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210 View Post
Is there anyone on CF who can share actual experiences entering the various (and specific) Caribbean Islands with a dog?
We cruised the N, E and S Caribbean with 1 Schipperke dog, from 1992-2000 and had no required quarantine ashore anywhere ... the ex-British islands are the most stringent ... often they forbid the animals to go ashore, so effectively they are quarantined on your boat. But that does not stop your animals to swim or go on deserted areas.

You can find more details on each country by looking at our annual letters on our website : Tropical Sailing Life - homepage and you can see many dog videos (in the Pacific) on our Tropical Sailing Life - YouTube channel.

We can only encourage any cruiser loving animals to take them cruising with them, especially if you live-aboard full time and get a puppy to train aboard!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29   #86

Lack of traction when we heel is my dogs biggest issue. I'm using snap together rubber mat in the cockpit floor for that reason.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00652.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	58532  

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 18:18   #87

Boat: Lello 34 Monohull

I have a standard french poodle, I will take her for her first sail soon, so far she have no problem running around on the yacht, going up and down the companion way is also not a problem, yet she now needs to do her first sail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	306211_10151491378813501_1959623018_n.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	58610   Click image for larger version

Name:	481268_10151491378083501_362966776_n.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	58611  

Name:	544224_10151491378123501_901717671_n.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	58612  
jdw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 18:22   #88

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

We sailed down the west coast from BC to Mexico with a lab and pointer. They did great! It really forced us to do some long hikes and explore every place we stopped. I highly encourage it.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 11:11   #89

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Here are a bunch of blog posts about dogs on boats:
The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives: Dogs on Board
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 10:43   #90
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras37 View Post
Hello,

I have a female rottweiller 3 years old and while I am on dock based on barells doing repairs I have problem to get her onboard. Did that one time and almost hurt my back. She must weight aprox 35-40 kilos.

Any ideas how to get her onboard s without danger for her or me ?

Thank you

Bill
Use some quality lift straps (you may have to tailor these to fit, obviously) and lift her with a pulley system attached to your boom!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote