Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 18:20   #1

Boat: CSY 44 wo "Hoot Mon"
Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

does anyone know anything about a westsail sailboat? thanks hope to hear
widget55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 18:23   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Yep, My friend owns one. I have sailed her a few times. Its svdefiant here at CF but he doesn't check in..ever. So I'll be glad to try to help. What do you need to know?
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 18:25   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I had a Westsail 32 for about five years. It was a great downwind and beam reach sailing boat, but not too good for windward work. My Westsail tended to hobby horse when going to windward, making for exitement when I was out on the end of the bowsprit in big seas.

I would happily sail one around the world in the tradewinds. It's designed to be a downwind voyager. Extremely strong. Lots of storage.

If I was getting a Westsail, I would pull out the two cylinder Volvo diesel and put in a fifty HP diesel and large fuel tanks for going to windward.

I loved my Westsail 32.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Built like a tank, some people say they sail like one as well, but I would agree they aren't bad off the wind. It does take a pretty good breeze to make them go. They are sometimes called by their detractors as Wetsnails.

Several models, most popular is the 32 but there's a 28 and 42/43. Website WOA Web Site.

Shop around and you can find some good deals but be careful. Many were sold as kit boats and owner finished with varying degrees of sucess and quality.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:55   #5

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
All I know is they sure do look nice.
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:05   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
We built one of the kits. Ended up with a way better boat than the factory but sure didn't save any money. Sailed it around California for a year and then off to French Polynesia and back to Hawaii. We had to beat into force 5 winds for 500 miles.averaged over 120mpd doing it and were relatively comfortable, that is if anyone can call beating comfortable. Managed to to average 118nmpd for over 10,000 miles without using the engine and two crossings of the Doldrums. Had a couple of days over 180 nm and did 900 nmiles in less than 6 days. Had a 16 mile day thrown in which gave me new respect for Coleridge's Rhyme of the Ancient mariner. The Aries Self Steering vane steered the boat if it would sail.

With 80 gallons of water and 70 gallons of fuel, we never ran short of either. Storage was cavernous, All of gear wouldn't fit in the house after we moved off the boat. Have learned to really appreciate the bulwarks with all the things that have gone overboard on my current boat. The galley layout is near ideal which resulted in a lot of really spectacular meals from my wife.

Some things to watch out for: Pin hole corrosion on bottoms of the metal tank, be sure and check out the bottoms; Rot in the boomkin and bowsprit; some boats were low in ballast in the boats under about #250, boat floating high on its lines is a giveaway; Teak decks could be leakers with core rot.

For the money, there is no better long distance boat. They are not day sailers, however, so if you just want a sailboat, other boats are better.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:27   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
With all due respect to Maxingout, I think Westsnails are very poor downwind boats - 1) the roll a lot 2) they are slow.

My idea of a downwind boat is a sleigh, not a tub.

Poor downwind and upwind performance aside, I love their looks and believe old and used as they might be they are perfectly repairable with a hammer and a bucket of paint, and they carry provisions well and are reasonably safe - probably what counts on a long term, no strings cruising plan.

My two cents.
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 14:09   #8

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
With all due respect to Maxingout, I think Westsnails are very poor downwind boats - 1) the roll a lot 2) they are slow.

My idea of a downwind boat is a sleigh, not a tub.

Poor downwind and upwind performance aside, I love their looks and believe old and used as they might be they are perfectly repairable with a hammer and a bucket of paint, and they carry provisions well and are reasonably safe - probably what counts on a long term, no strings cruising plan.

My two cents.
b.
http://www.rodlawson.com/oceans/goodoldboat.pdf

Widget, this link will get you started
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 16:47   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The West Sail (or Wet Snail) is largely attributed with having launched the Cruising culture in California back in the mid 1970's. Manay have made quite remarkable voyages and one even won its class in the Transpac on year. For more information see the Westsail Owners Association site at WOA Web Site
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:18   #10

I'm biased, but shopped around coast-to-coast before I bought. I doubt I could be happier. One stout boat. Use the WOA link above, to connect with one of the best owners' associations around.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:39   #11

I know what you mean, attached a couple of pics after 5 year restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	This Old Boat.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	10886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack With Westsail Fall 09'.jpg
Views:	4776
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	10887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern New Bootstripe.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	10888  
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 20:13   #12

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Westsail did a good job of mass marketing cruising dreams. They launched a lot of cruising dreams, and I have seen them all around the world.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26   #13

Boat: 1976 Westsail 32
About the only boat I would ever trade my Westsail 32 for would be a Westsail 42 or 43...
Fred K. Cheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:19   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hope its ok to butt in here. I have sailed a friends Westsail out in Galveston Bay in pretty choppy conditions and smooth conditions. I found the boat to have..well she was very uncomfortable to me. I love a good solid boat so I am not knocking her, in fact I call this Westsail a work of art because she is spectacular beautiful inside and out. I have always loved the westsail, almost bought a 28. I was a bit surprised when I came home after a sail on her feeling a bit "beat up", her motion was not comfy. After the second sail I talked to my mom about it (who is a knowledgeable sailor) and she said they are known for being "awkward" at certain points of sail. This has nothing to do with her speed, I find them surprisingly fast for the beefy heavy take anywhere design. I have thought maybe it was Galveston bay but I don't feel "beat up" after sailing in a CD30 or PS34 that I'd sail on the same weekend.
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41   #15

There will be lots of posts on this topic, some positive, some negative. Thought the clip shown below might be of interest. The boat shown is a rescue boat operating in the North Sea and is the ancestor of the Westsail. It has been hauled for the last time and is now on display in Stavenger. The appelation Wetsnail is just a cutsie quip. The Satori, a WS32, is THE boat of the Perfect Storm (still sailing happily out of Kemah I believe) -- survived in completely intact and immediately sailable condition even without a crew. Built to cross oceans? You betcha. Ocean Girl's comments may be valid, but when cruising, if I found one point of sail not "comfy" in the prevailing seas, I'd change my point of sail until the seas changed. To me, the 32 has a great feel to it, but what the hell, I'm biased.

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote