Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58   #106

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

I am coming to the end of the 7 year re-commissioning of our Westsail 32 "Moon Dance". The mast will be stepped this coming Wednesday morning and I will be moving onboard to start my new life on the water in September. I have been dreaming of this day since I was a child.

Having worked on many boats professionally and had my hands on every square inch of the Westsail from the bottom of the keelson to the tip of the mast I am convinced that they are one of the strongest, best built, production "fiberglass" sailboats ever constructed. I will also be the first to tell you that I am very biased, and like heavy traditional vessels. This doesn't make the brand the fastest or the slowest, the biggest or the bestest, but if your looking for a real value for your hard earned dollars and want a boat that will carry you, your family and a ton or gear in safety at respectable speeds and when all is said and done and it becomes time to sell her, (If maintained) get what you paid, then I would suggest having a look.

There are no "right" boats only the boat that is right for you. Back when I was a small lad sailing a "Sunfish" I was never happier and wish that I could go back to those times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8030005.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	44715   Click image for larger version

Name:	This Old Boat.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	44716  

Name:	P5190001_01.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	44722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moondance Floats.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	44723  

Name:	Jack Tiller 1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	44724  
Old 17-08-2012, 16:43   #107

Well the mast went up Wednesday without a hitch, looks like a completely different boat. I will tune the rig this weekend and bend on some sails and take the old girl out for a little run.

I want to thank all who have given their valuable imput for the last number of years, peace and fair winds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stepped Mast.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	45072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stepped Mast II.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	45073  

Name:	Stepped Mast III.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	45074  
Old 17-08-2012, 17:23   #108

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger
Well the mast went up Wednesday without a hitch, looks like a completely different boat. I will tune the rig this weekend and bend on some sails and take the old girl out for a little run.

I want to thank all who have given their valuable imput for the last number of years, peace and fair winds.
Looks great, well done!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:11   #109

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Very Nice...looking forward to hearing how she does
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:50   #110
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

more pictures pleeeze.

nice job!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 06:19   #111

Owned a 42 Ketch from '76 to '82/'83 - Last name 'Caithness'. If anyone knows where she is or where she's been, I'd appreciate to know. Many thanks! She was quite a Lady. Good weather, bad weather - solid, reliable. Not meant to compete in the America's Cup though !
Earthtourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 06:47   #112

[QUOTE=Earthtourist; Good weather, bad weather - solid, reliable. Not meant to compete in the America's Cup though ![/QUOTE]

Too bad more people don't display the same traits.
Old 24-12-2013, 06:57   #113
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Recent complete restoration of a 32. Look closely, she's like new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	72668  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 07:48   #114
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the 43 was the great design by westsail IMHO. to me the 32 looks a little strange with the funny looking bulwark wings that don't quite extend to the bow and stern
Old 24-12-2013, 10:26   #115

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I like the way that looks on the W32.
I thought I read somewhere that it had an intended function.
But maybe I'm biased.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 10:13   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the 43 was the great design by westsail IMHO. to me the 32 looks a little strange with the funny looking bulwark wings that don't quite extend to the bow and stern
I like the 43 as well, wish Crealoc would of had a tiller instead of the wheel though as well as an external hung rudder.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17   #117

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

One detail I have noted owning a Westsail is that we are a tight group of people. We have beers & food together. We share our affection for the boat and sailing and help out each other in many ways. We actually sail our boats and meet together and have 3 day party on them. You meet others in person. The association is wonderful in many ways.

Owning a Westsail puts you in a "special class" due to its history and that in turn brings the good/bad spirit out of people, so be warned.

Our Westsail sails wonderfully to windward and all other points for that matter. For us she makes us better sailors because of her forgiving nature. She is so strongly built that if my wife or I make a mistake she wont scare the crap out of us to badly. She also is a wonderful home for our family, larger inside room than many 38 foot boats (I know because I shopped around for 2 years thinking 38 was going to be what I needed).

She is the strongest boat in our marina except for the steel boat in slip F-30 but that boat is a million + dollars. Westsails have been tortured over the years - grounded up on rocks, dragged up cliffs with tractors, survived the perfect storm, and yet they remain floating about eager to serve.

People always stop when walking buy our boat "Harbinger" - they ALWAYS stop and speak to us about her, even in her old flaking paint moments. Its not that she is special but its that she IS special and people see it. They can see through the cheap production boats with fake wood and undersized fittings. In fact i have a difficult time getting work done because of the walker buys.

Even 37 years later we can still order parts for her, not so with many other boats. If that's not successful then what is? She will be a boat that's always mentioned in magazines and books no matter if you hate or love them.

I say if your looking for a Westsail come by and ill show you mine in person. They are truly solid, safe, fast and graceful boats. pound for pound no better deal can be had period.

Its one of the finest boats one can buy in my opinion!
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:40   #118

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
That's your opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other Westsailors.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:50   #119

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Some is opinion, some are facts and your right I never mentioned it was the gold standard way of live. But thanks for your one sentence contribution. "Its shows" as Capt. Ron would say!
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
One detail I have noted owning a Westsail is that we are a tight group of people. We have beers & food together. We share our affection for the boat and sailing and help out each other in many ways. We actually sail our boats and meet together and have 3 day party on them. You meet others in person. The association is wonderful in many ways.

Owning a Westsail puts you in a "special class" due to its history and that in turn brings the good/bad spirit out of people, so be warned.

Our Westsail sails wonderfully to windward and all other points for that matter. For us she makes us better sailors because of her forgiving nature. She is so strongly built that if my wife or I make a mistake she wont scare the crap out of us to badly. She also is a wonderful home for our family, larger inside room than many 38 foot boats (I know because I shopped around for 2 years thinking 38 was going to be what I needed).

She is the strongest boat in our marina except for the steel boat in slip F-30 but that boat is a million + dollars. Westsails have been tortured over the years - grounded up on rocks, dragged up cliffs with tractors, survived the perfect storm, and yet they remain floating about eager to serve.

People always stop when walking buy our boat "Harbinger" - they ALWAYS stop and speak to us about her, even in her old flaking paint moments. Its not that she is special but its that she IS special and people see it. They can see through the cheap production boats with fake wood and undersized fittings. In fact i have a difficult time getting work done because of the walker buys.

Even 37 years later we can still order parts for her, not so with many other boats. If that's not successful then what is? She will be a boat that's always mentioned in magazines and books no matter if you hate or love them.

I say if your looking for a Westsail come by and ill show you mine in person. They are truly solid, safe, fast and graceful boats. pound for pound no better deal can be had period.

Its one of the finest boats one can buy in my opinion!
Great post and couldn't agree more. Every day I live on this wonderful old boat I have a greater appreciation for her and the love just grows.