Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 20:18   #76
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Oops. You pulled your post and re-posted as I wrote. This post above makes more sense AFTER R on R's response. But seriously I agree that Westsails are not around the buoys racers, but when you have such boats like hobie 33 also at same place in results not sure what that means about the race.
It dosent mean a thing.. and thats the reasoning.. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and sometimes you dont even finish..
if you love the boat than that should be enough , but dont try to justify its speed by showing race results.. as shown, sometimes your windshield and sometimes your the bug..
__________________

__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:24   #77
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3

It dosent mean a thing.. and thats the reasoning.. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and sometimes you dont even finish..
if you love the boat than that should be enough , but dont try to justify its speed by showing race results.. as shown, sometimes your windshield and sometimes your the bug..
That I agree with.
__________________

__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:27   #78
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Well, I replied to your initial post which had less of an air of objectivity about the results..... Your re-post only has implications because I think I have read in the past your preference for more racer type cruisers.
My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:48   #79
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3

My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.
Whoa, there. i never said anything about disliking your view. Never bad mouthed it either. ease off on the defensiveness! I like your boat, have chartered bene's and campaigned a really nice first 40.7 as it's bowman. Lots of fun to race, and the owner cruises extensively on the boat with his family when not racing it....

As an aside, my boat isn't a heavyweight at 12,500 for a 33 footer. Kind of in the middle, but as tight and creakfree as the day it was built 45 years ago. I race it for fun, and have my share of silver from it, but also have gotten killed with bad decisions or drifter conditions. For the budget I stuck to there wasn't a better quality built 30-35 footer on the market when I bought.
__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:53   #80
GWB
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brookings, Oregon
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 296
Images: 1
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Come on now, it wasn't me bringing up "Westsnail" in this thread or any other one. Check it if you don't believe me. I have been very positive towards the W32 but I also remarked on it's weak points. For you, there are no weak points because the W32 is the best boat ever. Don't you realize that you do to every owner of another brand that you accuse all of us about?!

The only way you could hurt my feelings with a W32 is by passing me out there at sea. We all know that will never happen. As to advising me to stop posting... I do that on a regular basis, but I always come back for another hail of posts and am currently just past the current high, my posts per day are dropping again on average.

What I don't understand is why you use such nasty words like "vindictive" when I post such a nice message to you. You recognize the red cloth but mistake me for the one waving it, and you do not see my hand presented to help pull out from the hole you dug yourself...

ciao!
Nick.



We will have to agree to disagree.

p.s. I went aboard a Sundeer in Charleston harbor a few years ago. I remember the interior being very cramped for the length of the boat. Also, in order to drain the sink a macerator pump had to be run. The switch to run the pump was labeled incorrectly.
In order to drain the sink a person had to troubleshoot for about 20 minutes.

I much prefer my boat.
__________________
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:54   #81
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;887564]My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.[/QUOTE]

Does it matter which way....??
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:56   #82
GWB
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brookings, Oregon
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 296
Images: 1
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.
Who said it was? You guys are so defensive about your race boats you are reading things into posts.
__________________
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 21:10   #83
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post


We will have to agree to disagree.

p.s. I went aboard a Sundeer in Charleston harbor a few years ago. I remember the interior being very cramped for the length of the boat. Also, in order to drain the sink a macerator pump had to be run. The switch to run the pump was labeled incorrectly.
In order to drain the sink a person had to troubleshoot for about 20 minutes.

I much prefer my boat.
Yes I know... you would never trade, we have no room inside

On the Sundeer systems: don't get me started on how much was wrong with that; I ripped most of it out and replaced everything. Let me think what is original... engine and masts, rudder, keel, deck and hull, that's it.

The grey water system was especially bad... I had to redesign the whole thing. You don't seem to believe me that all boats have weak points and I have no problem at all listing and discussing them for my own boat. The hundreds of projects I did to improve the boat were all needed in my opinion.

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 21:30   #84
GWB
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brookings, Oregon
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 296
Images: 1
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes I know... you would never trade, we have no room inside

On the Sundeer systems: don't get me started on how much was wrong with that; I ripped most of it out and replaced everything. Let me think what is original... engine and masts, rudder, keel, deck and hull, that's it.

The grey water system was especially bad... I had to redesign the whole thing. You don't seem to believe me that all boats have weak points and I have no problem at all listing and discussing them for my own boat. The hundreds of projects I did to improve the boat were all needed in my opinion.

ciao!
Nick.
That is not the reason I wouldn't trade Most weekends I go sailing by myself. Trying to daysail a behemoth like what you have by myself would not make for a carefree relaxing day on the water. I know you say its easier to singlehand a boat the bigger it is, but frankly I don't believe you.
__________________
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 21:33   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Now I have sailed a westsail 32, in fact deliverd it from San Francisco, to Grays Harbor.must have been 81 or 82 It sails just fine !as has been said not real Fast, but real steady boat, a little small for my tastes, but really nice inside,it was a factory bilt not a home finished. Im sure with a few ad ons it would be a strong cruiser for a couple to go anywhere in ! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie ( Ahh I never thought of it as a race machine LOL)
__________________
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 05:07   #86
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB

That is not the reason I wouldn't trade Most weekends I go sailing by myself. Trying to daysail a behemoth like what you have by myself would not make for a carefree relaxing day on the water. I know you say its easier to singlehand a boat the bigger it is, but frankly I don't believe you.
How about giving it a try?! Surely you know somebody with a 40'+ boat... ask if you can come along for a ride and I'm sure you will also find that bigger becomes easier to sail. Sure you need to get used to the length while docking and manouvering in close quarters, but the extra waterline and weight give you extra time without being blown sideways etc.

Out on open water it all gets very simple; boat movement is much more relaxed than with smaller boats, gusts are much less of an event etc etc.

Never just believe or not believe... check it out personally!

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 05:30   #87
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

I had never even heard of Westsails before joining CF - not surprising given that I am based in the UK.

But simply a quick look at them said to me:-

a) They look great (my idea of what a proper boat should look like ).

b) Won't ever be the fastest boat on the water (but that not ubber important to me).

c) Likely won't be a complete handful in a bit of weather (I like at least half a chance of being able to put the kettle on - and not coming back on deck to find heading in the other direction ).

Having said that, cockpit is a bit too exposed for my tastes and whilst I love a canoe stern, there are downsides to having one. But has a bowsprit .

Whether someone else thinks they be the bees knees (or not!) is kinda irrelevent (I don't even care what someone may say about my boat choice) - indeed, to my viewpoint folk who rant on about how perfect their boat is (no matter how many hulls or type of Anchor ) tend to slip into my category of "doth protest too much", which tends to make my BS detector start to at least blip.......even if I can't nail down the exact reasons. Nor care greatly .

But I do confess to simply enjoying a bit of chain yanking - especially with the humourless .....hell, it's the internet - would be kinda rude not to indulge .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:26   #88
GWB
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brookings, Oregon
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 296
Images: 1
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How about giving it a try?! Surely you know somebody with a 40'+ boat... ask if you can come along for a ride and I'm sure you will also find that bigger becomes easier to sail. Sure you need to get used to the length while docking and manouvering in close quarters, but the extra waterline and weight give you extra time without being blown sideways etc.

Out on open water it all gets very simple; boat movement is much more relaxed than with smaller boats, gusts are much less of an event etc etc.

Never just believe or not believe... check it out personally!

ciao!
Nick.
On a long passage I would agree with you. But if you read my post again you will see that I was talking about day-sailing single handed.
Ironically because my boat is heavy it exhibits the tendencies of the bigger boat when it starts to blow or get rough......gusts are handled without fuss (within reason)

Do you day-sail your boat single handed?
__________________
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:37   #89
Registered User
 
particlepat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The reason so few among the cruising community respect Cap'n Fatty's opinions is because he stoops to such inflammatory rhetoric. Honestly, his audience is primarily those inexperienced and underfinanced dreamers who have little chance of actually taking to the high seas. Book sailors. While they get him, the rest of the cruising community generally doesn't.

You begin your comment with "Haven't sailed one myself but...." Honestly, anything that follows that opening is not particularly useful on this forum, where there's plenty enough real-world experience to make such speculation superfluous.

Welcome to the forum.
You failed to provide any of your own insight into Westsails by insulting me and my source of information while saying the message I am conveying is useless. Even thread troll, GWB, who a jab at me for that comment still provided a valuable counter argument by saying his Westsail is fast. The sole purpose of your post was to criticize my post without offering any of your own insight on the matter. This is, in essence, a completely useless post.

You're right, I have never sailed a Westsail let alone set foot on one. However, this is the information I have gathered from this thread as well as other sources: Some people say Westsails are wet, some say they're dry, some say they're slow, some say they're fast, some say they have a small cockpit, some say the smaller cockpit is better. Here's a news flash, half of these people have probably never sailed one either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all insight on the matter may be valuable to widget55, who originally proposed the question.

If you want to continue to argue with me, do it in a PM, But to be completely honest, I probably won't respond. This thread is not a playground for trolls, this thread is about Westsail sailboats.

Thanks for the warm welcome people
__________________
particlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:40   #90
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,002
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

FWIW, the wind conditions for the Three Bridge Fiasco were typical SF Bay winter conditions, in short, very light winds. The worst conditions for a Westsail or any full keel boat because of the wetted surface. Beautiful day to be out on the Bay but not necessarily for sailing and definitely not for sailing fast on any boat. Some classes had a better than 50% DNF and some supposedly go fast one design classes had a third DNF.

Randyonr3, mahalo for your work on the race committee. The Three Bridge Fiasco must be about the biggest race on the Bay and a long day on the water with the light winds.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Westsail Boats cburger Monohull Sailboats 17 22-03-2011 08:29
Westsail 32 vs CSY 33 anathema Monohull Sailboats 41 19-01-2011 22:13
Want To Buy: Westsail 28 virginia boy Classifieds Archive 6 30-07-2010 10:05
Tell Me What You Think About this Westsail 32 Target9000 Monohull Sailboats 41 25-05-2010 00:03
Need Westsail 32 advice Solosailor Monohull Sailboats 20 09-02-2009 11:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.