Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 11:38   #16
cruiser

Boat: cal 29
Re: Docking Bay Area

I anchored off Benicia St. Park for over a year. It was an easy paddle to the 9th st dock everyday. Once a week Id lift anchor and head into Benicia marina for a guest slip to fill tanks and do major shopping at safeway. I had no prblemes with cops or coasties
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 12:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Hudson, you're welcome.

But don't thank me, thank fstbttms:
I'm busted! It's true,- there's so much stuff to try and keep up with, I often scan through threads without reading everything! So, thanks fstbttms!
Old 25-05-2015, 12:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm busted! It's true,- there's so much stuff to try and keep up with, I often scan through threads without reading everything! So, thanks fstbttms!
That's a great relief. We wouldn't want to think it's reading comprehension, would we?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 18:37   #19

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Petaluma is a LOOONG way up the river and you have to work way in advance to get the bridge up. Nice place, I was there just last weekend, but... 2 1/2 hours from the River Entrance but another two hours to even get there from The Brothers. It's a loong trip. Plus it's $24 a night.
Ah ... Petaluma. Do it about once a year for a night or two. Lots of stores, bars and restaurants to keep one occupied. Not a long-term answer, however. Nevertheless, there is a marina a mile or so down river on the east side of Highway 101. ... Petaluma turning basin, west of the D Street bridge:

Old 27-05-2015, 18:53   #20

Boat: Seafarer36c

No-one has mentioned Dock Town marina in Redwood City. It may perish some day (soon?) but for now it could be the place for some low rent. From the looks of things , they would not have problem with your boat size.
Matter of fact, I could probably hook you up with one of the floating home owners for a side tie..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 18:57   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Ah ...Nevertheless, there is a marina a mile or so down river on the east side of Highway 101.
The Petaluma Marina, does not allow liveaboards. I know a few folks from there that were kicked out for living aboard. Though I think they might have a few grandfathered in, from what I've seen.

Marina Bay generally has liveaboard slips, if your boat is big enough. The problem with the OP's boat is at 29 feet it does not meet the minimum liveaboard size.

Of course you could take the transient slip rate which is generally not much more then slip and live aboard cost and just rotate through the marina's every 3-6 months.

Keeping the boat clean and looking like it can sail or motor away will go far with the harbor masters. Marina Bays harbor master will sometimes make all the liveaboards go to the harbor master dock for a holding tank check. He's a bit of a pain in the you know where. I lved in marina Bay for three years and it's pretty nice. Though the guys showers tend to be busy, as is the laundry.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 09:18   #22

Boat: Block Island Ketch, 33ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'm living aboard in Paradise Cay. Was in Richmond for a few months when I first sailed down here from Oregon. The people are great in Richmond but we were not happy with the harbor master. No one over there seems to be real happy with him. Here in Paradise Cay, there is no drama. Nice secluded marina but it needs to be dredged and it's surgy from the ferry wake and no breakwater. On the schedule for June to dredge I guess. Oh, and it's a whole lot cheaper. Best decision I've made since coming down here was the move out of Richmond over here to Tiburon.

Good luck
Sounds like you were at Marina Bay Marina, which is a city owned facility, and subject to some bureaucratic management.
I am located at then of the Santa Fe channel, next to KKMI. We are out of the wind, out of the fetch, and a short walk to food, drink, post office, small markets, even a Starbucks.
Interestingly, just the other day we were hanging out in the club and discussing, in a general way, the state of the various marinas in the bay area. The consensus is that municipal marinas are suffering either because they haven't provided funds to maintain the facilities and to dredge, or they have contracted with private operators who have milked the marina dry. (See Balena Bay in Alameda, for example.) Private marinas have similar dredging problems, such as Paradise Cay. Piled on top of the cost of the dredging is the cost and complexity of getting the necessary permits.
Old 28-05-2015, 12:34   #23

Boat: Freedom 38

Balena Isle Marina is an Almar facility, which also manages Treasure Island Yacht Harbor, where my boat is located. Someone is making money while the slips fall into horrible disrepair; boats are damaged every time there's a winter storm. It is a shame. These locations are priceless. Joining a yacht club with a marina is your best bet, if you don't want to anchor out all the time.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:25   #24

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We live aboard at Marina Village in Alameda. I believe there is a waiting list for liveaboards but they don't have a specific length criteria so it may be worth getting on the list. We also ran into the 35 foot rule when we were first looking for a marina in the area but had no problems at Marina Village. We really like it here, both the marina and the location. There is a grocery store across the street and a new Safeway a few blocks away, as well as a Target. An AC bus stop is very close as well (basically at the edge of the parking lot).

Rowan
Casita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 16:10   #25

Thank you all so much! I'm sorry I haven't responded so much. I've been dutifully reading all your amazing information and thusly making phone calls. Its looking more and more like we may be transient for a few months while we sit out a waiting list. My job is located presently in Oakland as is my mans so being so far down in redwood city or south bay is a little more out of the way than we want to be. Saulsilito isnt so bad because of the ferry.

Any opinions on Emeryville or Berkeley Marinas?
Gystilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 18:03   #26

Boat: Freedom 38

A lot of my friends are at Berkeley Marina (both liveaboards and non). It seems they love the atmosphere and the great group of people. As to Emeryville, I had checked it out over a year ago and now don't recall the specifics, but I think there are two separate marinas there, one public and one private where you lease a slip from the owner. I was leaning toward going to that side of the bay, but really didn't want to pay the toll over the bay bridge every time I went back home. I've been meaning to give a call to Embaracadero Cove Marina in Oakland (510-532-6683), because I am spending a lot more time these days on that side, but I don't know if they have liveaboards. Let us know what you decide and why. I'd be interested.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 16:38   #27

Can you tell me more about transient slip rates please.
Gystilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 16:43   #28

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

Many thanks to Stu and to fstbttms for some really valuable information! We're headed for San Francisco sooner or later (currently in Mexico), and definitely plan to continue living aboard the boat we've lived on for the last 13 years!

One comment by Gystilyn has so far gone unanswered: What if one were to simply anchor in Sausolito Bay or somewhere like that? Is that allowed? If so, the problems we foresee are: (1) how to land our dinghy and (2) how to pump out our holding tank. Any comments?
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 09:04   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka;1847481
One comment by [URL="http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/gystilyn-162954.html"
Gystilyn[/URL] has so far gone unanswered: What if one were to simply anchor in Sausolito Bay or somewhere like that? Is that allowed? If so, the problems we foresee are: (1) how to land our dinghy and (2) how to pump out our holding tank. Any comments?
Anchoring out in Richardson Bay is not stictly legal, but the regulations against it seem to be pretty much unenforced. You can also rent municipal moorings there. Dinghy landing also doesn't seem to be an issue, as there are many liveaboards who do it there every day.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 09:13   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Cool Re: Docking Bay Area

Clipper Yacht Harbor on Sausalito has a pump out station for your holding tank. It's located at the fuel dock. They charge $5 if you don't have a slip at Clipper.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, docking